First trip across the pond. (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2015
Grosmont near Whitby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
four years
We are currently discussing making our first trip across the pond in September and either travelling in France only or maybe crossing into Spain & Portugal and possibly staying until December. What do Funsters see as the important decisions to make and would you use Aires or sites. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sept on you'll find many French sites declaring season over. But a lot of Spanish sites will be open and filling up for the winter.

We always use sites apart from one night stops.

But most important Go For It. You've chosen a really good time, after Dec real winter weather sets in and Sept can be glorious.

Many of us love Benidorm, Vila Sol is our usual one, give it a try before you love or hate it.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Brenige ,
we usually go to France in sept , aires all the way , mostly free .
We are off this year on aug 28th only for 2 & a bit weeks as got to be back for close friends golden wedding celebrations. weather usually very good ,last year quite hot.
check out my showcase photo's in media , most are of sept hols in france.
Terry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you get the All the Aires book, or App, the description will tell you what is open when. All French Aires will be open in September; some are closed in the winter with water switched off to prevent it freezing.
You'll find the roads are even quieter in September, and they're quiet most of the time. You'll easily be able to travel down using the minimum of peage routes.
The majority of Aires are in villages and towns with shops nearby. There are sites online where you can find which day of the week market day is for any town or largish village you're visiting.
September is lovely, bit cooler and lots of places to stay.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Even if the aires are technically closed, unless gated/barriered you can usually still stay on them but if it's cold the water is most likely to be turned off. You may find the grey/black waste disposal is still available - after emptying the cassette I use the grey waste to give it a quick flush out. Municipal sites tend to stay open a bit longer than commercial sites although it's not wise to depend on it. However we've always managed, even in the depths of winter, just need a little planning.

If you're thinking of staying out until December you should seriously consider Spain as the weather tends to be much better south of the Pyrenees.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We generally go over in September and have never gone further south than Bordeaux. We always use aires - they don't really close although water may be turned off but we always seem to be lucky, only ever been on one aire in December when the water wasn't turned off but had frozen!

We're off again the beginning of September for 3 months and really looking forward to it as have been off the road for about 9 months now! Start again tomorrow and will be away as much as we possibly can between then and September when we catch the train to France.

Denise

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Use Aires. Brilliant, and very cheap or free.
Also wildcamp (just park up overnight) on outskirts of any town or village.
Remember that Spain is MASSIVE, and don't fall into the "hug the coastal concrete Costas" trap. There really is so so much more to see inland.
Keep an eye on weather forecasts - certain regions get very very VERY hot in summer ( and others get very cold/wet/snowy in winter).....it's a very varied geography and climate.
Use local bars/restaurants. You can often get a 3 course "menu del dia" including bread, allioli and wine or beer or water for 6 to 10 euros.
Avoid toll motorways. In fact avoid all motorways. Stick to "N" roads or smaller one. That way you actually see something of the country, and can stop whenever you spot something of interest.

Remember that crime rates in Spain are actually MUCH MUCH lower than in the UK.
Really, they are.
Basically, if you can get out of the UK without being mugged, burgled, road rage attacked, car jacked, pocket picked etc, then you'll be safe until you land back in Blighty again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Great information folks. It is all very relevant and helpful. I take it most of you avoid the toll roads?
We never use toll roads in France, always use Aires or wild camp, only use sites when there is no alternative.

Just remember - France is Motorhome Heaven, once you have been you won't want to camp in the UK again.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Like yourselves we hadn't been before in the motorhome until last month, we spent just over two weeks touring without a plan. What a fantastic experience and we both loved every minute of it. Going to be hard touring again here in the UK but whilst slaves to work, not much choice.

I went armed with all the Aires books but in the end just used CamperContact on the phone, great resource and will be leaving the books at home next time. We also never went on a toll road just meandered our way along D roads enjoying the sights. As said on here before, with no plan you'll never get lost(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I take it most of you avoid the toll roads?

Nope. If I'm travelling a long distance to a place where I'm keen to spend as much time in a possible I like to use the fastest, least busy and easiest means to get there, which in most cases is a toll road. Of course other dual carriageways may exist but they'll often be be busier. I just set the SatNav to fastest route and follow it.

The last thing I want to do is bimble through endless deserted French villages and towns full of speed bumps, roundabouts and 20mph speed limits if I'm trying to cover a fair few miles between destinations. It might be the 'real' France but the novelty wears thin after the first half dozen.

Obviously on the final stretch of most journeys I accept the need to bimble.

When I'm fully retired I may think differently - it's all about touring styles and time limits in the end.

If you have a compatible SatNav download the free POI files from http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php about a week before setting off, and check the individual aire reviews on the website for detailed comments. With aires it's always a good idea to have a Plan B up your sleeve but we rarely have to use it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back