First time renting a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Conwy castle. Free overnight m/h parking.
We stopped in Morfa Bach Car park for a visit to the town in May. These two narrow bridges gave me a heart stoppping moment when being greeted by a skip lorry who wasnā€™t going to stop no matter that I had priority. I had to get too close for comfort to wall on left to allow him past. This is on way to carpark from crossing the Conwy Bridge. Not sure that I would have wanted to overnight there, and I am a keen user of alternatives to campsites.
CF32C23F-8F90-44C2-94F1-2D00B0BC3974.png

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
Best advice I can give is avoid AberystwythšŸ˜…
nah ! The rugby club have motor home parking & dump\fresh water Ā£10 - and it's a pleasant 10min walk through the park into town, we recently had a very pleasant 48hrs there & can't fault the rugby club or the town

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Not tried any yet but have to book "Brit Stops" looks ok. Mainly Pub Car parks where they let you park either free or a small charge. Not sure if they are on tinterweb.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not tried any yet but have to book "Brit Stops" looks ok. Mainly Pub Car parks where they let you park either free or a small charge. Not sure if they are on tinterweb.
Brit Stops aren't allowed to charge for parking; they can't even enforce buying a meal but it's only polite to do so. They can charge for extras such as EHU.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Brit Stops aren't allowed to charge for parking; they can't even enforce buying a meal but it's only polite to do so. They can charge for extras such as EHU.
Interesting. Thought they could charge if they gave you a EHU???
As stated not used any yet but intend to.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
just used brit stops all the way up to Skye/ullapool,
was a good trip, now heading round Wales doing same. Did stop one night in a hotel for a "proper" bath one night but britstops and "searchforsites" is working well.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Trailer tent for 10 years Motorhome since 2018
Empty your chemical cassette in ELSON point only, seen to many renters emptying down drains, very very bad. Other than that enjoy and look forward to buying your own when you catch the Motorhome bug.

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 243
Exp
1 year in and loving it
Hi, with regard to picking up your rental MH, make sure no previous renter has mistakenly put diesel into the fresh water tank (a sniff of the filler cap will soon tell you).

Our recent hire MH had been subjected to this which made for an interesting shower experience! We subsequently found out that although hire company had replaced the drinking water pipe work, pump etc they had not done the same with the shower.

It did not spoil the overall experience as first timers tho and we had a fantastic week spending time in Devon and Forest of Dean.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
My home turf!
Check the Tenby car parks on-line first, some have barriers. Don't go to Llangranog - very windy road down with limited parking. New Quay well worth a visit, can park overnight in the car park on the right as you go into town. Great for dolphin watching, recommend the Lime Crab chip shop. If you leave Aberystwyth on the A44 try to go to Bwlch Nant yr Arian, about 10 miles away, great for trail walking, cycling and there's Red Kite feeding at 3pm daily.
Enjoy!

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Do enjoy your trip just think ahead as its not like drinking a car.
If you visit a car park pick your spot carefully, thinking about how you get out after your visit as car drivers will just park and may not have space to get out.
Pick one that has a straight exit if pos.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Hi
In July we will be renting a motorhome for the first time. I think its a Bessicar 496 and i am a little nervous to say the least.

We are heading to tenby south wales day 1 then along the coast a little for a stop near st davids before heading north to Aberystwyth day 3. Eventually back across north wales and home day 4.

Is there any advice you guys can give or things i should know.

I would love to just rock up in some small seaside town but i am worried about narrow roads and unwelcoming car parks.
It is a good idea to get your overnight stops booked before you go as many are fairly well booked up at this time of year. ukcampsite.co.uk is a good place to look.

Feb 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
burster harmony 690
Exp
Hi, everyone, just reading this and realised how good and helpful this site is when we first got ours I parked at Conwy castle beside high wall and was so pleased with my parking front wheel 4 inches from kerb back wheel 4 inches from kerb perfect big smile then we took off ,just like I would in my car only didn't realise when you pull out back end goes in no one told me that part scraped top of brand new motorhome, Gutted, but the saving grace was it only cost Ā£80 to fix. Lesson learned. Also first round about was another lesson go slow relax don't rush, your on holiday and enjoy.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Yup....that road is tight isn't it at conwy..

Sep 24, 2013
swansea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
3 years
Parking in Tenby is a nightmare even with a car. I wouldn't even try it. It' really busy in west Wales at the moment so make sure you have a pitch to go to. It's also very beautiful though and well worth the effort. Lots of fairly narrow roads too so remember the cats whiskers analogy, if your side mirrors will fit through the gap so will the rest of you. We hired before we bought too and took a Bolero to the IOW, as soon as we left the ferry we were on a diversion, a really narrow road which we were on for what seemed like hours. Very bum clenching šŸ˜ Good luck and I hope you enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back