First time in Europe with kids, route planning (1 Viewer)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I appreciate you have kids and Disneyland may be on their agenda but suspect this is planned for summer holidays. Disneyland and Versailles are going to be rammed and I can't think of a worst place to be.

NB Paris Olympics and how many visitors that will bring above the normal amount.
Disneyland is likely to be there next year

My advice. Get south of la Loire and enjoy the lakes rivers gorges cascades and clues which are all free to swim in. Too far south and you won't be able to go out for 4-5 hours a day.

Enjoy whatever you decide

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A lot of different views, but having had loads of holidays with kids, the only thing I have to add is ,for a peaceful happy time although it might not be quite what you want, I would suggest, ask the kids what they want to do and share the days out. One day what you want then one each for the kids and so on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2016
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
Hi
Is Puy Du Fou worth a visit for adults
Wife and I have visited Puy du Fou several times over the past 10+ years (without children) and we are in our 70's now, We never tire of it as there is so much to see/experience. I took 3 grandchildren 2 years ago by myself and they were totally amazed. Cinescenie is the evening show which is fantastic. The idea has been exported to UK here in the NE at a show called Kynren held in Bishop Auckland, Co Durham. Kynren is a good but Cinescenie is exceptional.

Feb 29, 2020
Worthing, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
Hi there,

We got our first Motorhome last year, a 2010 Fiat Mooveo c6, We've used it a handful of times in the UK and it's been great so far.

This summer we're planning on going to Disneyland Paris for 3days then on down to the southern french coast and onto Barcelona for 2 nights then home, We plan on crossing at Dover.

18 nights is not set in stone but a rough guess at the minute, 16-20 nights is the aim.

View attachment 870097

Does the above look realistic with a couple of kids? (7,14)

Any improvements or suggestions welcome (y)

Thanks
We travelled every summer with 3 children and a dog for several years on the trot visiting various parts of France and Spain and the children have the best memories. We didn’t book sites for each night, but did ensure that we stayed in one or two nice sites with pools etc for at least a 2/3 nights to give everyone a break from travelling and a chance for the children to meet other families. My advice would be: have an itinerary, but don’t be too rigid about it. We found places that we changed our mind about staying in and others where we wanted to stay longer. The journey has to be part of the adventure.

If you are planning to pitch-up rather than stay in Disney, there is a great campsite in a nature-Parc nearby which we found to be the perfect antidote. The bus stopped right outside and took about 20 mins.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
As mentioned above, the Paris Olympics are on this summer. Accommodation near venues is booked up and the prices have rocketed apparently... I'm assuming that campsites will be busy and expensive too. Unless you have reservations in campsites near the venues, I would steer clear of those areas.

Venues here: https://www.paris2024.org/en/competition-venue-concept/

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Hi there,

We got our first Motorhome last year, a 2010 Fiat Mooveo c6, We've used it a handful of times in the UK and it's been great so far.

This summer we're planning on going to Disneyland Paris for 3days then on down to the southern french coast and onto Barcelona for 2 nights then home, We plan on crossing at Dover.

18 nights is not set in stone but a rough guess at the minute, 16-20 nights is the aim.

View attachment 870097

Does the above look realistic with a couple of kids? (7,14)

Any improvements or suggestions welcome (y)

Thanks
If you are going down to Barcelona why not drive back up through Zaragoza and spend some time in the beautiful old city and get the ferry back from Bilbao. It is a great trip and saves a long drive through France.

Jul 2, 2017
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2017
I hadn't even heard of Puy du Fou before reading this article, but several funsters enthusiastically recommend it. If we did persuade our grandchildren and family to one day make the trip, are there any campsites nearby you would particularly recommend? Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I hadn't even heard of Puy du Fou before reading this article, but several funsters enthusiastically recommend it. If we did persuade our grandchildren and family to one day make the trip, are there any campsites nearby you would particularly recommend? Thanks in advance,
Jeremy
There is an aire as part of the motorhome car park near the entrance.

I'd aim for a 2 day visit - there is a lot to see and the evening shows are great. You need to book tickets months in advance to guarantee entry or your can try turning up at the office to see if there are any ticket returns.

It is a big production using a large number of (volunteers?) aspiring actors.... Take umbrellas to give you sun shade when queuing or waiting in the stalls... You will be outside for most of the day(s).

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You need to book tickets months in advance to guarantee entry or your can try turning up at the office to see if there are any ticket returns.
Definitely need to book during school holidays, but outside those times you may be okay, three of us just turned up and had no problem getting tickets. You used to be able to rent translation devices but I believe they have an app now for your phone which can do the translating for you.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
My opinion .

Having taken similar trips since I was 15, 20 as a driver.

So much more to see inland in summer.

Holland. Centre parks have a campsite (the Dutch mainly head south)

Berny rivière - France
Terre rouge - france
Lake Annecy - French Alps
If you want to venture to the med . St. Tropez

So many more places

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Jeremy
If you come away thinking it's poor value for money, I would be gobsmacked. The aire is huge biut gets full mid summer. There is a shuttle bus from the aire to the entrance, but it's only a maximum ten minutes walk. If anyone needs a wheelchair get it booked a.s.a.p.

The Cinescenie is in the evening but not every day and is a separate ticket, but is worth every penny. It is not cinema, but a live outdoor show with a cast of I would say 100's. We have been four times I think and would happily go back with or without kids.

I have been involved around theatre for donkeys years, but stuff they do there takes it to a whole new level.

Watch out for the lions!

Jul 2, 2017
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2017
There is an aire as part of the motorhome car park near the entrance.

I'd aim for a 2 day visit - there is a lot to see and the evening shows are great. You need to book tickets months in advance to guarantee entry or your can try turning up at the office to see if there are any ticket returns.

It is a big production using a large number of (volunteers?) aspiring actors.... Take umbrellas to give you sun shade when queuing or waiting in the stalls... You will be outside for most of the day(s).
Thanks for that, MattR. That might do for us, but the family would need a caravan park not too far away. Jeremy.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Jul 2, 2017
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2017
If you come away thinking it's poor value for money, I would be gobsmacked. The aire is huge biut gets full mid summer. There is a shuttle bus from the aire to the entrance, but it's only a maximum ten minutes walk. If anyone needs a wheelchair get it booked a.s.a.p.

The Cinescenie is in the evening but not every day and is a separate ticket, but is worth every penny. It is not cinema, but a live outdoor show with a cast of I would say 100's. We have been four times I think and would happily go back with or without kids.

I have been involved around theatre for donkeys years, but stuff they do there takes it to a whole new level.

Watch out for the lions!
Thank you for the information, Meanders. Definitely interesting!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Thanks for that, MattR. That might do for us, but the family would need a caravan park not too far away. Jeremy.
I haven't stayed at these sites but there is La Bretèche at Les Epesses which is probably the nearest and Camping au Bois de Ce off the D27 near La Barboire.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
When our 3 were young we did many Eurocamp type holidays in France including the Davy Crockett cabins at Disneyland ( mobile homes painted brown but cheapest way of doing it with 3). I would agree with everyone who says do it but skip Barcelona as you’ll spend too long travelling. Head West to the Loire, St Jean de Monts with the fantastic beaches, take in Puy de Fou. It’s expanded madly since we first went, did it once with Matthew in a wheelchair, that was a tough year.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
How deaf can you be to the "are we nearly there yet?". A bit too ambitious with kids in tow IMHO.
Oh don't.

On a DC10 at Gatwick to Atlanta taxiing out to the runway for take off. Little girl sat next to her dad and right next to Hilary piped up "Daddy are we nearly there yet? ". Fortunately as soon as we got into the air she fell asleep until just before landing about 8 hours later. 😲

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Personally, I would skip Disney, get through France as quickly as possible and get into Spain.

I would also skip Barcelona and stay on the coast near Girona in the L’escala area.

Have a nice trip whatever you do.

SeanT4

Free Member
Feb 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW T4
Back in 2015 me & my ex-wife did just shy of 3000 miles from Staffordshire to the south east corner of France, across to the West Coast and back up the West Coast, back home via Cherbourg in 16 days. All in a T4 with no bed, pitching 2-3 days at a time. We saw volcanoes, a huge and beautiful country, the amazing Verdon Gorge, kayaked in the bath water warm lakes, crossed the Millau Viaduct, climbed Dune du Pilat, the biggest sand dune in Europe, went to Oradour sur Glane and generally had an amazing time. We did A LOT of driving and paid A LOT of tolls 😂 But realistically, we needed more time. Do Disneyland as a weekend trip, France for an 18 day trip and try a ferry to northern (or southern) Spain and drive back home.

Oct 27, 2016
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
Jeremy
There is an aire attached to Puy du Fou but we prefer to stay at a campsite about 2 miles (10 minutes) away. It's called Camping au Bois du Ce. Clean, with swimming pools (indoor and out). Good toilet facilities. Restaurant available in high season. Been 3/4 times.

Oct 27, 2016
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
I haven't stayed at these sites but there is La Bretèche at Les Epesses which is probably the nearest and Camping au Bois de Ce off the D27 near La Barboire.
Been to both in the past. Breteche is further away and I found the journey rather confusing especially in the dark. Restaurant is better? in the selection of meals BUT I had severe food poisoning (usual sickness and chronic diahorria for 4 days after our last visit. It provided an evening meal for coach parties going to the evening Cinescene performance so was very busy so getting a table was difficult. Much prefer bois due Ce as it is nearer and on a direct route although the retuarant was more limited. Bois du Ce was also quieter.

OP
OP
D
Jun 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Looking
Thankyou all so much for your really helpful advice and tips (y)

After talking with the other half we've decided to up the days to the max possible - 22, also abandoned going to Spain and staying 3 nights x3 on the south coast.

We'll be staying in booked campsites everynight as I suspect it'll be busy and we don't want to be searching around for space on aires so will be booking the camp sites this month.

I've updated the map, the orange text is roughly how long the journey should take between stops, though we'll likely break-up the long days driving by stopping at some destinations on route.

Untitled.png

We did the NC500 last year in a rental motorhome in about 8 days and the kids enjoyed it and wasn't to bored on the drives (onboard wifi helps!)

Any more tips or suggestions very welcomed.

Is Poy Du Fou suitable for a 7 year old?

Many thanks!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
"ARE WE THERE YET"??
Remember yer ear plugs🤣🤣🤣🤣
Njoy yer trip....
Jealous..

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

After talking with the other half we've decided to up the days to the max possible - 22, also abandoned going to Spain and staying 3 nights x3 on the south coast.

We'll be staying in booked campsites everynight as I suspect it'll be busy and we don't want to be searching around for space on aires so will be booking the camp sites this month.

I've updated the map, the orange text is roughly how long the journey should take between stops, though we'll likely break-up the long days driving by stopping at some destinations on route.

View attachment 872145

We did the NC500 last year in a rental motorhome in about 8 days and the kids enjoyed it and wasn't to bored on the drives (onboard wifi helps!)

Many thanks!
You might want to consider the Il de Rè as you go past La Rochelle, especially if you like seafood, and your 7 year old will be absolutely thrilled I would imagine at Puy Du Fou, the show with the birds finale involves a lot of birds flying over the audience so as long as that doesn’t frighten them all will be good, I don't foresee anything else that they wouldn't like, only you know your child.

Here's a taste.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2016
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997

View attachment 872145

Many thanks!

Oct 27, 2016
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
Yes, I am sure it will be suitable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun