C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
I’m a newbie😎 Picked up C’More 17 June 2022
Pretty sure this has been asked loads of time but I don't have the hang of searching topics yet. I will be heading to the UK from Toulouse. (Starting 2 March). I will have two months in the countries. Yea me!!!!
Any recommendations on which way to get there? Favourite places/sites to stay at and ones to stay away from. (good places to ride my electric mountain bike) I also need to get some work done on my Hymer, any recommendations on best place to contact for that? (install awning, install safe and a few other bits). Thanks in advance

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Pretty sure this has been asked loads of time but I don't have the hang of searching topics yet. I will be heading to the UK from Toulouse. (Starting 2 March). I will have two months in the countries. Yea me!!!!
Any recommendations on which way to get there? Favourite places/sites to stay at and ones to stay away from. (good places to ride my electric mountain bike) I also need to get some work done on my Hymer, any recommendations on best place to contact for that? (install awning, install safe and a few other bits). Thanks in advance
When you get to the North of England grab you ebike and let me know and I'll show you the best rides here.
As regards your original question, there will be loads of suggestions on the way.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Do you know where you’d like to visit? Scotland obviously - remembering it takes longer to cover shorter distances here so you may want to give yourself 3 weeks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Gosh, that's a big question, where does one start?
Presumably you intend to wander North through France rather than blast up to a channel port or the tunnel using autoroutes.
For the moment I'll just add that most m/h dealers/engineers are booked up for a month or more.
For cycling have a look here:

Are you in France now? if so, you'll know that many/some camp sites won't have opened there in March.
If you intend to overnight off-grid you won't find it as easy to find places in the U.K. as when in France.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
Do you know where you’d like to visit? Scotland obviously - remembering it takes longer to cover shorter distances here so you may want to give yourself 3 weeks.
I have no idea where to visit, but yes I would like to head to Scotland. I have two months, are you saying three weeks of that in Scotland?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
Gosh, that's a big question, where does one start?
Presumably you intend to wander North through France rather than blast up to a channel port or the tunnel using autoroutes.
For the moment I'll just add that most m/h dealers/engineers are booked up for a month or more.
For cycling have a look here:

Are you in France now? if so, you'll know that many/some camp sites won't have opened there in March.
If you intend to overnight off-grid you won't find it as easy to find places in the U.K. as when in France.
I have to be out of France by 15 Mar at the latest (90/180). So once I pick up C'More, (He's in storage) I can take my time. I can navigate France alright, but for some reason I am super nervous about UK, the unknown I guess. I will be more comfortable at the paid sites so that's fine.
Good thing I asked for recommendations now, might be able to get into somewhere with in the two months, hopefully.
thanks for the link, I'll check it out

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
You should be O.K. finding sites in the UK that early in the season.
There are many online guides to camp sites.
For off-grid there are a couple, one of which is Park4Night.
April 7th to 10th is a Bank Holiday so sites will more than likely be busy.
Some pubs will let you stay in their car park if you intend to eat there. (Ask first! ;))
Do you have a refillable gas system or exchangeable (French?) cylinders?

I'm sure others will add info.

(My U.K. based son and DIL are at the beginning of a 3 month NZ tour which has been rather disrupted by cyclone Gabrielle out there).

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
Searchforsites is a useful app to have and yes pub stops if you ask.
The new Forest is worth a visit, if in the south, lots of sites.
The Lake District, but only in quiet season as it gets VERY busy, the west tends to be less crowded. Scotland definitely worth spending time there especially the northwest but anywhere really.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I have no idea where to visit, but yes I would like to head to Scotland. I have two months, are you saying three weeks of that in Scotland?
Do you like scenery or cities or a mix? In Scotland maybe Edinburgh if you like cities (though I also love Glasgow). For scenery the SW (mull of Galloway) is lovely, Fife coast - East Neuk fishing villages and St Andrews. Heading west my favourite places are around Loch Torridon, Applecross, Arisaig and Morar, and the west coast north of Ullapool. If you have time then pre book a ferry to Lewis/Harris and the Uists (you can’t just turn up) or head up and over to Orkney.

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
If it’s proper mountain biking that you’re after, search for Bike Park Wales! Incredible place….
Thanks! Well that got me excited. Looks like a good place to get my skills up. Went OTH a while back and still haven't gotten over my nerves.

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
Do you like scenery or cities or a mix? In Scotland maybe Edinburgh if you like cities (though I also love Glasgow). For scenery the SW (mull of Galloway) is lovely, Fife coast - East Neuk fishing villages and St Andrews. Heading west my favourite places are around Loch Torridon, Applecross, Arisaig and Morar, and the west coast north of Ullapool. If you have time then pre book a ferry to Lewis/Harris and the Uists (you can’t just turn up) or head up and over to Orkney.
Scenery, But I also enjoy wandering around historical cities. My ideal is to park up and get my bike out, but I don't enjoy riding on the roads with traffic so its not always easy to find that. I'll add this places to my research list, thanks!

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
Searchforsites is a useful app to have and yes pub stops if you ask.
The new Forest is worth a visit, if in the south, lots of sites.
The Lake District, but only in quiet season as it gets VERY busy, the west tends to be less crowded. Scotland definitely worth spending time there especially the northwest but anywhere really.
Thanks I'll add those to my list!

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
2 days driving through England, then enjoy the rest of the time in Scotland (y)
lol...I still have to check out England a little bit, never been before but I get your drift. Thanks!

OP
OP
C’More Fun Finder

C’More Fun Finder

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 474
Exp
Got some great idea for places to visit (Whoop Whoop) but still don't know where to get work done on C'More. What forum would be best to post that question? Or what can I type in the search bar? I have read about recommendations in the past but I'm at a lost to find them now. Thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Aires are now starting to be set up in the UK..
Many helped with the backing of Jim and motorhome fun for the exemptions.

You can find them via the search for sites website or app, use the filter and select "CaMPRA" aires

If your a Facebook user there are a few groups with pub stopovers etc, usually free to stay if you buy drinks/ food in the pub. Could be handy as a backup. (y)

Reactions: f6c
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Scudo Nu Ventur
Exp
16yrs
Got some great idea for places to visit (Whoop Whoop) but still don't know where to get work done on C'More. What forum would be best to post that question? Or what can I type in the search bar? I have read about recommendations in the past but I'm at a lost to find them now. Thanks
Ask your questions about C’More problems here- there’s usually someone who can help

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Well you since you asked, and if it's of any use, here's a snip from my Bucket List jottings for if I live to be 100.
They reflect my historical/engineering interests but may be of use to you.
Some I've seen but many more to go.

South

Singleton -
Weald and Downland open air museum

https://www.wealddown.co.uk/

Kew steam and pumping museum. Open 29th May

-Broken Link Removed-

S.E. London - Pumping station for Basalgette’s Victorian sewers. Largest beam engine. 150 ton beam.

Kempton - Pumping Station. Open 26th May. Pre-book.

Kempton Steam Museum | Home of the world's largest working triple-expansion steam engine

It has a triple compound steam engine, it takes a steam donkey engine to turn it over for starting. On the other side of the building is another engine.

Wales/Hereford

Llanberis -
Nat'l Slate Museum.

Highlights - National Slate Museum | National Museum Wales

Chepstow castle & many other Norman ones in Wales.

Conwy castle. Free overnight m/h parking.
from whence Richard 111 was fooled into leaving to meet his cousin Henry Bolingbroke son of John of Gaunt, the Protector of Richard when young Richard 111 was still a minor - 10 yrs old. Bolingbroke had been exiled to France but usurped the crown to become Henry 1V, whose son would become Henry Vth.

https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/conwy-castle?lang=en

Both Powys and Hereford Councils publish information on CPs where MHs are welcome, some day only others for the night.

North

Ironbridge -
Heart of Ind. Revolution around/along the Severn river and gorge.

Cheddleton Flint Mill & museum. Stoke on Trent.

12 to 4 Mondays & Weds.

interesting canal site too.

Cheddleton Flint Mill Industrial Heritage Trust

National Coal Mining Museum. Open Weds to Sunday at Caphouse Colliery, Wakefield. West Yorkshire. Pre-book.

Home | National Coal Mining Museum for England (ncm.org.uk)

Sheffield (Nr)- Industrial (steel) Hamlet. Pre-book. Closed Mon, Tues, Weds.

Home | Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust (simt.co.uk)

Bolton - Steam (mill museum) - Pre-book. Open Sat & Sun plus school hols. Check for steaming days.

https://www.visitmanchester.com/whats-on/steaming-days-at-bolton-steam-museum-p364151

Pickering - Matthewsons classic vehicle auctions and museum Roxby Garage (Sales / Museum / Auction)

Pickering Road, Thornton Le-Dale, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7LH

Thornton Le-Dale branch is open 7 days a week.

enquire@mathewsons.co.uk
01751 4744

Dudley - Black country living museum (Iron, chains etc.). Pre-book.

https://www.bclm.co.uk/

Rievaulx Abbey North Yorks.

Wharram Percy
deserted medieval village. N. Yorks. Visitor info boards.

Wakefield National Coal Mining museum.

Bewdley (25 miles S of Ironbridge) to Bridgnorth (15 miles) walk along the Severn river plus the riverside steam train back. Visit Arley arboretum.

Open Weds to Sunday. Pre-book. https://www.arleyarboretum.co.uk/

Cromford. Derbys. 40km NW of Nottingham. Ind Revolution. Arkwright's mill and water powered weaving frame. Note the 'Weavers windows' high up in terraced houses.

Midlands

See Oakham Castle. est. 1190. 17 mls W of Leicester.

East Anglia.

Nr Ely. 5 Miles From Anywhere. Lovely pub stop. Five Riverside pitches.

Old School Lane. Upware. Ely. CB7 5ZR. Tel. 01353 721654

https://www.fivemilesinn.com/

Ely. See Prickwillow engine & drainage museum.

https://www.prickwillowmuseum.com/

See Grimes Graves. Thetford. Stone Age Flint mines.

Thetford - Flag Fen Archaeology Park. Nr Peterborough/Thetford. East Anglia. Wooden processional walkway. 40 mls N of Soham.

Thetford - Burrell's steam museum. Tues and Sats 10 til 3.

https://www.charlesburrellmuseum.org.uk/

Thetford. Dad's Army museum. No pitches.

http://dadsarmythetford.org.uk/

Bury St Edmunds

Fordham Abbey.

Sutton Hoo - Anglo-Saxon Royal burial and long ship plus grounds. Afternoons less busy. No pitches.

Sutton Hoo | National Trust

Woodbridge (for Aldeburgh &Sutton Hoo). Camping and self catering cottages by River Deben.

Campsite | Low Farm Cottages and Campsite (stayatlowfarm.com)

For Sutton Hoo Holidays Campsite, Woodbridge - Updated 2021 prices - Pitchup®

Norfolk Broads

Wroxham -
There's a motorhome area in Wroxham beside the river next to the bridge. Entrance is the old Connoisseur Cruisers opposite Broads Tours/ Norfolk Broads Direct.

Ludham Bridge. Pub next to CAMC site - The Dog Inn. It is only £10 to park on their field, but there is no EHU or showers. They do great food as well. Highly recommended on the Fun website (July '22).

Needham Ferry good camp site. Nice walk from site along river bank.

South East

St Leonards
Church ossuary.

https://flickeringlamps.com/2015/07/10/the-extraordinary-ossuary-at-st-leonards-church-hythe/

Devon

See website:
Motorhomes - South Hams District Council

for overnight parking in these towns.......

Longmarsh, Totnes. Beside River Dart.

Leonards Road, Ivybridge

Poundwell Meadow Overflow, Modbury

Park and Ride, Dartmouth

Cattlemarket (beside river), Kingsbridge

-
There are council car parks in Devon you can overnight for £5. https://www.devon.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/parking/car-parks-in-devon/

Cullompton wool mill - Open Mon to Fri from May31st. No car park? Drop-off access 2.3m high.

https://www.coldharbourmill.org.uk/

Sticklepath - Oakhampton. Water powered foundry. Open from June 1st.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/finch-foundry

Wiltshire

Pewsey
- Honeystreet. The canal-side Barge Inn or the Bruce Arms. Both basic. H.Q. of crop circle folk. Eclectic clientele.

The Barge Inn – Honeystreet – The historic canal-side pub with camping, music, food, and drinks galore. (thebargeinnhoneystreet.uk)

Trowbridge - Canalside CL

https://bathcaravansite.co.uk/

Devizes - Canal side and pub Open to non C&CC members.

https://www.campingandcaravanningcl...tm_content=Devizes&utm_campaign=google_places

Devizes - canal side. http://www.canalsideholidays.co.uk/

Cotswolds

Bourton on the water
-In the car park next to the Co-op shop . No facilities ie no water /ehu/dump but in a very pleasant spot with a mowed field with trees over the low wall at the back- access via the path into town. Space for several mohos and room for an 8m.

Hampshire.

Waterlooville -
Butser Ancient Farm (Museum of social and agricultural history).

New Forest - Basic Forestry Commission sites.

New Forest Campsites - England | Camping in the Forest

Lyndhurst - Minstead. Good pub with m/h camping. £15 pn + £5 EHU optional.

Welcome to the Sir Walter Tyrrell Pub | Brook, Rufus Stone Nr Lyndhurst

Dorset

Bridport
- Eype House Camp site. By cliff/sea. Tea rooms. Pub near.

https://www.eypehouse.co.uk/camping.html

Cornwall

Penzance -
long stay at the harbour car park.............

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...06d2ff!8m2!3d50.1203337!4d-5.5322516?hl=en-GB

Restormel Norman castle - Restormel Castle | English Heritage (english-heritage.org.uk)

Heligan - Lost Gdns etc. 2 mile walk to Mevagissey. Small motorhome sites - Holidays for motorhomes in Cornwall (heligancampsite.com)

Heligan - there's a campsite next door to gardens.

Mevagissey Stay at the Willows Car Park, £13 overnight. Level site easy 3 min walk into village/harbour with quite a few pubs & places to eat.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I use this site. https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

Coming up from Toulouse with no set destination in the UK, it makes sense to use the shortest / cheapest crossing. The Tunnel seems to be pricing itself out of business at the moment, but worth a check given it takes 30 minutes to cross, otherwise the Calais / Dunkerque to Dover or Dieppe / Newhaven routes are still fairly sensibly priced. (Use an Incognito window to compare so the cookie monsters don't jack the price up when you re-visit the sites).

You're going to get all sorts of baised regional suggestions for good reasons, as the UK is a lot more green and pleasant than even a lot of us locals realise. All the regions have their charms.

The Kent countryside is known as the garden of England (albeit they can'get the staff at the moment)
If you want to do London, best advice I think is to leave the MoHo well outside the LEZ and get the train in. All the major train lines end up in London, and the fast services - assuming they run at all - mean a lot of England is about an hour away.
The New Forest is full of history with sites where the deer wander past your window. I live near there so if it ends up on your initerary I can help with sites or pub stopovers.
The West country is very popular for countryside and coast.
If you do a round trip tour, divert up through Wales away from the Motorways, up to Lancashire and then the Lakes before going around Scotland (Look up NC500 route).
Liverpool Albert docks and the City Centre are worth a day especially if you like the Beatles.
The services at Tebay on the M6 are family owned and do magnificent pies and other delicacies.
(Lancastrian grits teeth) .... All the Yorkshires have their charms if you avoid the obviously built up bits.
The Midlands are often ignored but don't forget Stratford on Avon, and the Warwickshire countryside is excellent. Lots of canals in that area so places like Braunston near Leicester are worth remembering, as is Birmigham City centre for a day.
Anglia, i.e. Norfolk and Suffolk are also well worth a detour.
The less motorways you use, the more you'll see.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Try this guy for the work u need doing - https://www.davenewell.co.uk/
Probably not the cheapest but did a good job for me.
You can walk from his workshop to the local Severn George museum for an interesting day out.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Just for your info...

Mathewsons at thornton le-dale, you are only allowed in the gift shop, the museum is no longer there

Mevagissey, willows car park...it was £10 to overnight when I was there between xmas and new year and even cheaper if you arrived after 4pm (I'm sure its 4pm 🤔)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you have possibly got the impression that England is a small country which it is compared to most. Two months is barely enough time to scratch the surface Scotland whilst beautiful is going to take a big chunk of your time its realistically three days traveling from dover to the center of Scotland .With two months I would stay in the south Kent Sussex Hampshire Wiltshire maybe down to Cornwall then into Wales back across through the Chilterns Oxford Cambridge Suffolk Essex possibly a train into London You can do the north next time

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
From Toulouse? Indeed? Where in Toulouse? Obviously , there's no reason for you to have a stop over at my place, but.... I hope you will tell us how you got there! Enjoy!
Amicalement
Frankie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am with mitzimad above, you have made a great list of places and to see them all will take quite a long time. Maybe consider two trips.
As Devizes is on your list, do not miss a visit to the Wadworths Brewery in town. I think it will be right up your street.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Forget travelling through Lancashire. You want history? Go to North East, You must see Hadian's Wall, Durham Cathedral and Bamburgh Castle as minimum. Easy hop from there to Scotland.

Likes collected
Funster No
Come to my local camping and caravan site in Hanley Swan, near Malvern, Worcestershire! We once stayed their when we were testing taking our dog in the motorhome before we travelled further afield, and it was superb! There is the Malvern Hills to test your bike, lots of beautiful walks and it is in the middle of England within an easy train ride to Birmingham, but also not far from Wales! Good luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back