First time at a site with no assigned pitch (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
Headed to the New Forest on the weekend. Usually stay at C&MC site Black Knowl, but decided to go try C&C Hollands Wood over the road as it looked more "foresty".

Booked online - paid for an XL pitch - only to be told there when we got there that there is no such thing and to just park up where we like.

Have to say - not enamoured with the idea of this sort of site in a MH. Firstly, on a busy weekend you're driving around trying to find a good spot. A lot of the time the space is being use inefficiently so if you arrive at the wrong time, you're stuck with not much choice.

We have an 18 month old and two dogs, so we usually like to drive to a National Trust car park and do a planned walk. The problem here is that if we head out for the day, when we come back there will be someone else on "our" pitch again, which means driving round and around again.

I much prefer assigned pitches a la C&MC, no hassle that way. Is it just me?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Headed to the New Forest on the weekend. Usually stay at C&MC site Black Knowl, but decided to go try C&C Hollands Wood over the road as it looked more "foresty".

Booked online - paid for an XL pitch - only to be told there when we got there that there is no such thing and to just park up where we like.

Have to say - not enamoured with the idea of this sort of site in a MH. Firstly, on a busy weekend you're driving around trying to find a good spot. A lot of the time the space is being use inefficiently so if you arrive at the wrong time, you're stuck with not much choice.

We have an 18 month old and two dogs, so we usually like to drive to a National Trust car park and do a planned walk. The problem here is that if we head out for the day, when we come back there will be someone else on "our" pitch again, which means driving round and around again.

I much prefer assigned pitches a la C&MC, no hassle that way. Is it just me?

We are completely the opposite. I spend a lot of time parked next to glorious lakes when fishing and love the fact there is no constraint, confinement or rules.
825A588C-0C62-452C-90BD-A8B7F9660293.jpeg

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suspect it looks more forestry because it's not strictly laid out!. I think it's horses for courses we'd probably like the one not so strictly laid out more.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Camping in the Forest (CiTF) is a partnership between the Forestry Commission and the Camping & Caravan Club (C&CC). The C&CC effectively operate the sites but do so as a separate system to their club sites.

Most of the CiTF sites are informal with no defined pitches. Many sites are massive, New Forest Holmsley is some 600 pitches :whatthe: All you are getting by asking for an XL rather than standard pitch is nobody complaining that you've got a bigger vehicle. All you are asked to do is observe a 6m rule, but that can be easier said than done on a chaotic mid summer weekend when so many have randomly staked their claim. But the lack of the peg you must park up to is what defines and CiTF and makes it work, especially for those who are arrive in groups and wish to circle their vans/tents/caravans into a nice corral (top tip, find another part of the site to stay if you don't want the noise). The informal pitching of CiTF is what, for many, makes it work and thus it can be a bit cheaper than the formal sites. It does work well for the family groups, and few of the CiTF sites will be tranquil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I like the informality of the Camping in the Forest sites and much prefer them to more regimented campsites. But if you want a more "foresty" site with defined pitches then have a look at Setthorns.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Going back to how it was a few years ago then with the Forestry Comission running there own sites. Might mean we won't get the old fogy discount.

Not a fan of sites but I like the New Forest ones nice and relaxing and you can park where you want. Can't stand the thought of prim & proper pitches with some jobsworth telling you where you have got to park.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Is it just me?
No. We had a similar experience when newbies quite a few years back. Large New Forest site (can't remember which) very very busy weekend, squeezed into the only space we could find. All hook-ups snaffled by tents with about 4 really long leads each. We stuck it for a few hours until the van behind us lit a fire in a bucket, burning stinking old wood that made our eyes and throats sting. We left. Nearly put us off motorhoming for life.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Not as interested in an old fogey discount, as the current singleton discount - which is worth more. Means for me at least the CiTF sites are reasonable value, especially compared to other New Forest sites and without which I'd need to moderate frequency of visits.

I must suspect a large part of the Forestry Commissions taking the sites back was the C&CC refusing to open them during the 2020 season despite things starting up after the first lockdown. That created a lot of problems for some areas and would have gone against the forestry commissions public use and access desires.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Yes just you. Love the freedom compared to the “white peg” nonsense
Swmbo hates seeing white boxes all in a row. Hates being one even more. Could only just cope at a recent rally as we're on an extreme corner with only one neighbour.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I like setthorns, even when I book an Xl pitch (which are marked with a blue cone) just told to find the one I like. At the top of the site pitches are spacious and reasonably private. No toilet/shower block there. Wild life amazing, plenty of walks and a village nearby (1.5 miles)
Great for dogs, bbqs allowed, kids can build dens.

Love it

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I must suspect a large part of the Forestry Commissions taking the sites back was the C&CC refusing to open them during the 2020 season despite things starting up after the first lockdown.
I think the 'official' reason for the C&CC not doing CITF is that less than 5% of club members used them.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I think the 'official' reason for the C&CC not doing CITF is that less than 5% of club members used them.
I was under the impression that their refusal to open in 2020 was indeed the stimulus for Forestry England to exercise their right under the contract to take over controlling interest. As long term frequent users of the New Forest I welcome the move. Although there was nothing specific, I always felt there was a 'club' mentality creeping in to the management of the sites.
Having said that, the Forestry Commission wasn't perfect. I am old enough to remember them caving in to the local traders and banning the mobile shops from visiting the sites.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We alway leave a site marker, a 6.7m Hymer...a washing line with nappies on it, and a heavy duty dog chain staked out...We rarely get anyone on adjoining pitches....we ain't got kids or a heavy duty dog...the Hymer gets us there and bikes then take over..🥴😃👍🇪🇦

Upvote 1

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
No white markers here at Woodside Field, or grumpy wardens, maybe a few yellow flags when we have a rally taking place. Apart from that we allow people to choose where to park. Some folk drive round and round looking for the best position, we have even had a few arguments taking place discussing full sun or shade. :sun: :cool: :sun:
Some just want to be closer to the pub. :drinks:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Fair enough! Perhaps it down to attitude, I see my MH as more of a hotel room on wheels. Maybe I should have bought a caravan 😛
All joking aside I think there are a lot of people on motorhomes and vans who would be better served in a caravan. Of course you could get a trailer and vehicle to take with you when you know you are going to places you don’t get a reserved spot if that what you like. Then again now you know what this type of site is like you may not want to use them and just go to your daily attraction then move off somewhere at night to sleep. Hope you get a solution that works for you whatever 😁👍

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back