First time at a site with no assigned pitch (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
Headed to the New Forest on the weekend. Usually stay at C&MC site Black Knowl, but decided to go try C&C Hollands Wood over the road as it looked more "foresty".

Booked online - paid for an XL pitch - only to be told there when we got there that there is no such thing and to just park up where we like.

Have to say - not enamoured with the idea of this sort of site in a MH. Firstly, on a busy weekend you're driving around trying to find a good spot. A lot of the time the space is being use inefficiently so if you arrive at the wrong time, you're stuck with not much choice.

We have an 18 month old and two dogs, so we usually like to drive to a National Trust car park and do a planned walk. The problem here is that if we head out for the day, when we come back there will be someone else on "our" pitch again, which means driving round and around again.

I much prefer assigned pitches a la C&MC, no hassle that way. Is it just me?

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
These sites are great when it’s not too busy, we often use them but avoid peak times.
Too often either been boxed in or people pitch up with 6m when you get back after a day out walking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TeaBiscuit
Oct 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
All joking aside I think there are a lot of people on motorhomes and vans who would be better served in a caravan. Of course you could get a trailer and vehicle to take with you when you know you are going to places you don’t get a reserved spot if that what you like. Then again now you know what this type of site is like you may not want to use them and just go to your daily attraction then move off somewhere at night to sleep. Hope you get a solution that works for you whatever 😁👍
Indeed! I did weigh up both for quite a while, however having two dogs and (at the time) a little one on the way, it made much more sense to go the MH way and I do not regret it one bit - a caravan just wouldn't work for us.

You're right, now I know how some sites work I won't have this issue in the future 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Love Holland’s wood, managed to get the same spot we were on last year, when we visited the week before and over Easter this year the place was almost empty when we arrived.
The staff are fantastic.

Upvote 0
Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Stayed on Denny Wood CIF site in the New Forest last summer, some of residents insisted on walking across my pitch.
IMG_20210707_154835.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We are completely the opposite. I spend a lot of time parked next to glorious lakes when fishing and love the fact there is no constraint, confinement or rules. View attachment 618659
Ditto😁😁

Normal just me parked in a large field and a stone’s throw from the lake👍
A73723F4-468E-40FB-9212-B4A372827FD2.jpeg

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Headed to the New Forest on the weekend. Usually stay at C&MC site Black Knowl, but decided to go try C&C Hollands Wood over the road as it looked more "foresty".

Booked online - paid for an XL pitch - only to be told there when we got there that there is no such thing and to just park up where we like.

Have to say - not enamoured with the idea of this sort of site in a MH. Firstly, on a busy weekend you're driving around trying to find a good spot. A lot of the time the space is being use inefficiently so if you arrive at the wrong time, you're stuck with not much choice.

We have an 18 month old and two dogs, so we usually like to drive to a National Trust car park and do a planned walk. The problem here is that if we head out for the day, when we come back there will be someone else on "our" pitch again, which means driving round and around again.

Could you not leave a chair or table smack bang on the pitch to let people know you have pitched there. We have seen people use traffic cones or if EHU just leave the cable plugged in or a plastic caravan step and leave that on the pitch along with a bin ?

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging

Opposite to us. We like to choose our own pitch. This happens more on private sites and abroad. Like to think that any form of camping is about freedom, not conformity.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back