DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know this year everything is supposed to be early but I wasn't expecting ticks in early April. Just dug one out of Charlie's tummy, probably picked up from a walk on Dartmoor this afternoon. It was deeply embedded but not too swollen.

Advantix to be administered tomorrow!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have had a few on our dog here in Portugal but he wears a tick/flea collar and none have latched on ------- we just have to watch as he brings them into the 'van----- never know where they might finish up!!!!!???
AFAIK they bite then let go but have got poison from the collar?????? so will die anyway????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
GP in Norfolk was complaining about an unseasonal number of 'hayfever' cases as early as February this year. February did seem exceptionally warm and the flora was doing strange things and the insects too -- an unusually large number of midges, bees, etc. -- it wouldn't surprise me if the ticks are active early too. April on the other hand has felt a bit nippy!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This is one thing I will not miss, never did fully master removal but was quite successful with a system that involved slight pressure and an anti clockwise rotation the tick retracts fully

I am off grid with virtually no internet but will try and find a video link to show how it is done when we move on

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
When abroad we make sure we have a few bottles of vinegar, ticks hate it and they come off easier after a few squirts. Plus we put it on our chips.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I know this year everything is supposed to be early but I wasn't expecting ticks in early April. Just dug one out of Charlie's tummy, probably picked up from a walk on Dartmoor this afternoon. It was deeply embedded but not too swollen.

Advantix to be administered tomorrow!
And there's me thinking you'd achieved something from a list in some way or fashion and expected one of these......
IMG_4985.PNG

Not one of these......
IMG_4986.JPG

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our two have Advantix all year round. Spice picked up a tick last year in Spain in March in spite of it though so not a total guarantee.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is one thing I will not miss, never did fully master removal but was quite successful with a system that involved slight pressure and an anti clockwise rotation the tick retracts fully

I am off grid with virtually no internet but will try and find a video link to show how it is done when we move on
We use these now but you can get them from several different manufacturers but they are all basically the same and work very well. Get the prong under the tick's head then twist it around a few times and out it comes.

71pMQCnmrUL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
08CED804-772C-4E4C-AF93-C634B1D3C552.jpeg
This image is particularly scary as it shows how proficient they can be, what looks like tiny baubles are actually Ticks 100”s of them they apply themselves at this stage almost invisible and develop from baby to adult on the host,why leave they only want blood.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
View attachment 296469 This image is particularly scary as it shows how proficient they can be, what looks like tiny baubles are actually Ticks 100”s of them they apply themselves at this stage almost invisible and develop from baby to adult on the host,why leave they only want blood.
Is that a bag or someone’s leg in a pair of trousers?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I just use any kind of alcohol and cotton wool to remove them as recommended by my old vet
Bill

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
My friend took her dog to the vets a couple of weeks ago to have a tick removed from the top of his head, as he is quite a hairy dog she was a bit apprehensive about trying to remove it herself...So when the vet had a look he said that it was not a tick, OMG she said what is it...it turned out to be a chocolate peanut that one of her kids must of dropped and it had stuck to his head !

I couldn't stop laughing when she told me, she did have a good laugh herself after. :rofl::rofl:

Silvia

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Ours got covered in really tiny ticks like the ones on the trousers, took ages to get them all. He wears a collar that kills them eventually, but these little ones left itchy spots.

On a previous inspection I found a tick, again a very small black one on his tummy area, I squeezed and squeezed it, picked at it but couldn’t get it off, reason why? It was only one of his nipples, which are tiny black spots. Poor little beggar.:frowny::frowny:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back