Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Looking at it, it says it is Potassium Powder based and also mentions KNO3 which is (if I remember rightly) Potassium Nitrate which is sometimes referred to within a group known as Saltpeter and is used in the production of such things as Fertilizers and Fireworks! you should also Bear in mind a standard Dry Powder extinguisher is normally either Sodium or Potassium Bicarbonate (KHCO3) charged with Nitrogen so I can only assume the addition of the organic oxidiser and plasticiser resin in this other product somehow turns it into a wonderful extinguishing media but I think I will stick with the standard Dry Powder extinguisher I currently carry for now.
the best powder I have found is actually trade named Monnex and is based on Potassium Bicarbonate-Urea though this is well expensive but is best for use on Flammable liquid and gas type fires.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Hi pappajohn I was just about to reply to your message when my connection went down and by the time it was back you had saved me the trouble.

it looks like these are a form of dry powder extinguisher relying on some form of chemical reaction with an Alkali to create the propellant then using KNO3 instead of the normal KHCO3 as the extinguishing agent. I would assume the extinguishing method is some what the same which is basically interfering with the chemical reaction (combustion) of the fire.

By removing the need for a gas based propellant it would decrease the weight and volume considerably but I have not had a chance to see or play with one using potassium nitrate as a base before though did have some very enjoyable times playing with various explosives to show how fires can be extinguished by rapidly removing the oxygen from a container (unfortunately the container didn't always last that long!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back