Fiat's New Automatic (9 speed with Torque Converter) (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since 1969
Now that Fiat do a proper autobox with a torque converter, rather than the Comfortmatic robotised box, I wondered what experience members may have of the new box as I'm very tempted to buy anew MH with it.
Your experience please.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Don’t think it will be there own gearbox so better to find what box they are fitting for a review

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Now that Fiat do a proper autobox with a torque converter, rather than the Comfortmatic robotised box, I wondered what experience members may have of the new box as I'm very tempted to buy anew MH with it.
Your experience please.
Is the comfortmatic being retained as an option, or is it finished on new models?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
It’ll be an offering from Chrysler probably

A bit of searching the Web seems to indicate it is a variant of the ZF 9HP gearbox produced by ZF Group (ZF Friedrichshafen AG), essentially German but, like so many these days, now multinational. They appear to manufacture in over a dozen countries around the world, so not sure where they are actually built.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
A bit of searching the Web seems to indicate it is a variant of the ZF 9HP gearbox produced by ZF Group (ZF Friedrichshafen AG), essentially German but, like so many these days, now multinational. They appear to manufacture in over a dozen countries around the world, so not sure where they are actually built.

Just seen DuxDeluxe and ambulancekidd beat me to it!

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Nothing wrong with a comfortmatic as long as you understand roughly how they work. ?

Well, had a test drive. The salesman gave a good demo and explained it well. I've also watched a good training video.

Quite honestly I liked what I have seen, and I'm looking forward to it.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well, had a test drive. The salesman gave a good demo and explained it well. I've also watched a good training video.

Quite honestly I liked what I have seen, and I'm looking forward to it.
I have no doubt the zf will be a superb box but we are not quite ready for a new van just yet. ?

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
We've had ours since mid-December on our WildAx Solaris XL. Done over 600 miles so far and very pleased. Makes driving in urban areas so much more pleasant. I have no experience of the older Comfortmatic, but I can say that it drives like a traditional automatic. We have it on the 140bhp engine and I would say that it is only just satisfactory on that power level in 'normal' mode. You can switch to 'power' mode but I usually forget to do that.
If you can get it on a 160 or 180bhp engine that would be ideal, but I think fuel economy would be worse.
We didn't even order an automatic, but because there was a shortage of vans with manual transmission in the Autumn we were offered a free upgrade to the new 9-speed auto, which we were delighted to accept. It kinda took the sting out of the RFL increase that came in on 1st Sept.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have never had an automatic of any sort so I am quite ignorant about them.

I am not looking for advice on here, other than to source a good website explaining the types of automatic/semi-automatic boxes in use, and with up-to-date information on the latest technology.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Geoff

Mar 2, 2014
North East
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
I'll let you know in a months time :giggle:
Mines on order with (at moment) a Feb delivery date
Moving from a comfortmatic, but purely because I drive with hand controls - and its not best suited for Hand Controls

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Please can you explain how they work?

Thanks
ROUGHLY - it has a standard 6-speed manual gearbox, but an automatic clutch which works through some electronic wizardry! ;)

We've got a comfortmatic on our van, and I don't find it so different to driving our Jag with an auto box - it is a bit different, as is the performance, but nothing you wouldn't get used to after 30 minutes driving.

We had a semi-automatic gearbox (like the comfortmatic) on a 2006 Citroen C3 - probably one of the earliest ones in a production car? Motoring journalists poo-poo'd it at the time and said it would be unreliable. My son is still using the same car every day in 2020 without problem! (y)

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Of all the things Fiat, their Comformatic has not been something I have to complain about (apart from the speed control not working properly. I doubt that anything they do would persuade me to go back, however.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
I have a ford transit 170 bhp with auto transmission also fiat Abarth with MTA gearbox and Mercedes slk with 7speed tiptronic gearbox and the best of the bunch is the ford transit auto great to drive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back