Fiat's New Automatic (9 speed with Torque Converter) (1 Viewer)

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
So they're not going to rectify it by installing sufficient crimps to the harness, just write their way around it with software :oops:
Information I have is that all versions of this gearbox (there are many) were sorted on all post 2015 production, with both hardware and software mods.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Nothing wrong with a good old Sturmey Archer,
Unlike a DSG box they don’t need an expensive oil change every couple of years.?

Ah yes, I've had a few SA hub gears over the years. My Brompton is old enough to have a British Sturmey Archer hub. After nearly a century in business they went bust in 2000 due to some iffy financial shenanigans (involving the Yanks, I think). So the SA designs were bought by the Taiwanese (Sun Race).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Back in the day we had Mercedes Sprinter 2.7s with the Sprintshift (similar to comfortmatic)gearbox which I quite liked but, there was an issue with the auto mode when driving hard as we often were.
It would decide to change gear mid corner under power when grip was essential & gravity reared its ugly head, this was closely followed by the vehicle swapping ends surprising the crap out of the unwary, I was passenger in one which pulled this stunt, 5 tonnes of Mercedes getting very friendly with the scenery, change nappy & carry on.

Crap gearbox

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Ah yes, I've had a few SA hub gears over the years. My Brompton is old enough to have a British Sturmey Archer hub. After nearly a century in business they went bust in 2000 due to some iffy financial shenanigans (involving the Yanks, I think). So the SA designs were bought by the Taiwanese (Sun Race).

The older ones before and up to 1988 were wonderful, with the oil filler ports on the hub, I know someone with a 1950s one and it's still as good as ever

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
The older ones before and up to 1988 were wonderful, with the oil filler ports on the hub, I know someone with a 1950s one and it's still as good as ever

Yes, the old ones seem to be bomb-proof.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, the old ones seem to be bomb-proof.

Agree, I just bought this last week from the tip,
A bit rusty but works a treat, all gears perfect, my treat for Caz. Last of the old style ones with the oil filler cap on the hub.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We love our freedom bus and don't want to change it. The comfortmatic is mostly OK, but does occasionally choose the wrong gear. Usually, on an alpine hill, towing, in a head wind, bit of snow and pillocky Swiss 'drivers', trying to overtake on a blind corner.

So....... how much to retrofit the ZF automatic gearbox? (ducks behind parapet)

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
We love our freedom bus and don't want to change it. The comfortmatic is mostly OK, but does occasionally choose the wrong gear. Usually, on an alpine hill, towing, in a head wind, bit of snow and pillocky Swiss 'drivers', trying to overtake on a blind corner.

So....... how much to retrofit the ZF automatic gearbox? (ducks behind parapet)
2 possible answers either not possible or incredibly expensive. My proffered answer is not possible but I bet someone will claim different.

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
I took delivery of our MH with the New 9 Speed Auto box at the beginning of March and unfortunately because of the current situation ive done no miles at all, but the few I have done along a Motorway and around small hilly country lanes its a joy to drive, the gear change is unnoticeable even better than my VW 7 speed DSG box which was great.
And unlike VW Fiat managed to put the gear change on the correct side of the gear stick so you can see it rofl :ROFLMAO:
4b.jpg
6.jpg

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Hi C33jay, I’m looking to buy new camper when all is back to normal as can be.! I have be Kombi dsg 7 speed and I love for work and pleasure. So I was concerned about buying a new AdriaSupreme with the new 9 speed automatic , believing nothing would be as good as the vw kombi auto, so it was helpful reading your comments on the 9 speed auto. (y)

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Hi C33jay, I’m looking to buy new camper when all is back to normal as can be.! I have be Kombi dsg 7 speed and I love for work and pleasure. So I was concerned about buying a new AdriaSupreme with the new 9 speed automatic , believing nothing would be as good as the vw kombi auto, so it was helpful reading your comments on the 9 speed auto. (y)
The DSG and the old Fiat Comfortmatic are manual gearboxes with a clutch and a robotised change.

The new 9 speed is a fully automatic (torque converter) so the changes will be flawless and less noticeable.

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Hi Rob, thanks for reply. I am not mechanical minded in any way, but do enjoy driving and like my comforts when behind the wheel. Well the new 9 speed should great only time will tell how reliable it will be. I was told the dog had problems when it first years. Once again thanks for your reply. Regards Danny

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
2 possible answers either not possible or incredibly expensive. My proffered answer is not possible but I bet someone will claim different.

Just had the wonderful guys at Northern Commercials on the blower and the answer is a bit of both.

Although technically possible, it would mean significant changes to the electronics of the vehicle, and Fiat don't like people messing around with the ECU and other key components. In fact there seem to be several Fiat based restrictions that would lean towards it not being possible. Either way, if these difficulties could be overcome, they reckon you wouldn't get change out of ten grand.

So, I'll stick with the comfortmatic. Coupled with the 150 engine, its mostly fine for us.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Nothing wrong with a good old Sturmey Archer,
Unlike a DSG box they don’t need an expensive oil change every couple of years.?

Indeed I had a four speed SA, many years ago. My current bike is an 8 speed Nexus, they have come a long way. :gum:

Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Mmmh! Nexus hub! On a Raleigh Motus Grand Tourer! Feeling quite giddy!!! Braw bikes though! Almost makes cycling pleasurable!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back