Fiat Ducato Swift 664 Airbag Warning Light (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Hello, I would really appreciate some advice. I've read a few threads on Ducato airbag warning light failures but I would really appreciate some up to date advice. My 2014 Swift 664 is displaying an airbag warning light. A friend who has a garage has put his diagnostic tool on my motorhome and the following error codes are being reported. These won't clear when he has attempted it from his machine.
B0107 - Passenger Prentension Resistance
B0106 - Driver's Pretension Resistance
B0127 - Driver's Seat Belt Switch
B0100 - Error Inside the Control Unit
I understand that their maybe a seperate ECU for the airbag system? The Ducato manual says that in the event of this error code then it must be taken to a Fiat dealer. Is this a common fault and has anyone had similar issues and how did you resolve this without spending a small fortune or going through significant stress or worry. I'm a reasonably capable man with decent screwdriver and nut and bolt skills but I'm concerned about messing about with anything that could set of an airbag. Disabling the airbags on the Ducato vehicle menu system fails to stop this error.

Any help is greatly appreciated as we are looking to get away in the next couple of weeks.
Best regards

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hello, I would really appreciate some advice. I've read a few threads on Ducato airbag warning light failures but I would really appreciate some up to date advice. My 2014 Swift 664 is displaying an airbag warning light. A friend who has a garage has put his diagnostic tool on my motorhome and the following error codes are being reported. These won't clear when he has attempted it from his machine.
B0107 - Passenger Prentension Resistance
B0106 - Driver's Pretension Resistance
B0127 - Driver's Seat Belt Switch
B0100 - Error Inside the Control Unit
I understand that their maybe a seperate ECU for the airbag system? The Ducato manual says that in the event of this error code then it must be taken to a Fiat dealer. Is this a common fault and has anyone had similar issues and how did you resolve this without spending a small fortune or going through significant stress or worry. I'm a reasonably capable man with decent screwdriver and nut and bolt skills but I'm concerned about messing about with anything that could set of an airbag. Disabling the airbags on the Ducato vehicle menu system fails to stop this error.

Any help is greatly appreciated as we are looking to get away in the next couple of weeks.
Best regards
March this year our airbag warning light came on on the day of our MOT. Got the guy in the garage to diagnose rather than MOT and he came back with a B0100 fault code.
This one is a fault in the airbag ECU which is under the carpet \ central dash locker. It's fairly easy to get at and remove.
You can send it to crashdatauk who can reset or if not possible seem to be about the cheapest for a new module.
Let me know if you need further info.

edit : this is their weblink http://crash-data.co.uk/

edit edit : it was around £80 for the reset including return first class postage. 2 day turnaround.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It's a common fault if you have left your starter battery to go flat. The air bag module is just behind the battery bolted to the bulkhead. Disconnect the battery before removing. Send it away for repair to Crash Data ?????. It's about £80.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is the instructions from crash-data.
It show the location of the airbag ECU.
Once you've disconnected the battery you need to leave for a few minutes to let the ECU power down properly.

Attachments

• Crash-data instructions.pdf
    328.7 KB · Views: 566
OP
OP
A
Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Thank you. I had to put a new battery on in early March. Ive just had the first overnight run out in the van in the last couple of days which is when i say the fault.

Out of interest. Can I drive the van whilst this ECU is taken out. I'm only having to move it a mile back into store

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thank you. I had to put a new battery on in early March. Ive just had the first overnight run out in the van in the last couple of days which is when i say the fault.

Out of interest. Can I drive the van whilst this ECU is taken out. I'm only having to move it a mile back into store
The warning lights will stay on but yes you can.

edit : low battery warning was the reason for the fault on ours.

OP
OP
A
Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
And it works, my airbag ECU is now out, packed and ready for posting to Crashdata in the morning. My vehicle is fine, minus active airbags. Thank you for your help

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I am curious?. What is the strict legal status. I appreciate the OP is only intending to travel between the storage and garage, and to be fair I would do the same. But my understanding is that anything that is subject of MOT (safety Items) must be in working order?. Anyone know.?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
A bit late now but often the lights can be reset with MultiEcuScan where other diagnostic machines fail. For about £50 it's almost an invaluable tool.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am curious?. What is the strict legal status. I appreciate the OP is only intending to travel between the storage and garage, and to be fair I would do the same. But my understanding is that anything that is subject of MOT (safety Items) must be in working order?. Anyone know.?
Yes probably.Reminds me of the last mpv I had .I found that they had done some work on the front & removed the airbag sensors out the way & left them all tied up miles from where they should have been. :giggle:

OP
OP
A
Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
I have thought about that, it is an interesting query. I'd feel better with a fully functioning airbag system, but there is an option on the Ducato dash menu to disable the airbag function so my take on it that this is a measured risk. I'm sending the ECU off in the morning. I may with a bit of luck get it back by Saturday.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
A bit late now but often the lights can be reset with MultiEcuScan where other diagnostic machines fail. For about £50 it's almost an invaluable tool.
[/QUOTE
True but sadly often it can't. I've used factory level scanners and the same, sometimes yes sometimes no. My experience crash data is they'll say if they can just reset.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
My understanding is it's not the lights that need reset but the firmware in the airbag ECU has become corrupted and needs reflashed so the above unit doesn't \ can't correct the fault. Our local guy tried two \ three professionial diagnostic machines with no success.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The warning light being illuminated is an MOT failure as advised by our local MOT station when our airbag ECU went faulty on the day of our MOT. He also advised it was acceptable to take the vehicle away to facilitate repair.
Guess the OP should be OK as he was removing a vehicle with a potential MOT failure from the highway whilst repair was being undertaken.

OP
OP
A
Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Mine is now in the post. Hopefully I should have it back in a few days from Crashdata. I will let you know the outcome

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Mine is now in the post. Hopefully I should have it back in a few days from Crashdata. I will let you know the outcome
If crashdata have reflashed the unit they will have run some tests on it (you get a test report from memory) before putting it back in the post so should be OK.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The warning light being illuminated is an MOT failure as advised by our local MOT station when our airbag ECU went faulty on the day of our MOT. He also advised it was acceptable to take the vehicle away to facilitate repair.
Guess the OP should be OK as he was removing a vehicle with a potential MOT failure from the highway whilst repair was being undertaken.
Yes I would concur with that, (y) you are allowed to take an MOT fail away for repair, so that would make sense. If he was "caught" halfway to Spain, it might be another story.(n)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
All sorted out. I cannot recommend crashdata enough, sent Thursday at 1600, returned 0930 on Saturday morning. I have refitted my Airbag ECU and all faults are now cleared. Brilliant service, highly recommended
What have you been doing since Saturday!:swear2: Unacceptably long delay when we're all hanging around here with baited breath awaiting the outcome!:rolleyes:;):giggle:

ps glad to hear you're sorted.(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
All sorted out. I cannot recommend crashdata enough, sent Thursday at 1600, returned 0930 on Saturday morning. I have refitted my Airbag ECU and all faults are now cleared. Brilliant service, highly recommended
Thanks, I think we will go down that route and not bother buying the OBD reader/code clearer as the recommended one, icarsoft, Is £138 and we still wont know what we are doing and might not clear the fault.

OP
OP
A
Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
ECU's be it your vehicle or airbag ECU are delicate and incredibly important devices. My recommendation would be to leave it to a professional, and anyway how many times are you likely to need this?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Today I went out to the 2015 Hymer B678 to start it and the red airbag warning light came on. In addition I noticed that the yellow warning light on the dashboard was on to show that the passenger's side airbag had been turned off. I had never turned that off, but went into the settings and turned it back on, but the red warning light is still on. The motorhome is plugged in to the mains and the EBL charges the vehicle battery so AFAIK the battery has never gone flat.

Could this be the same problem or will it only occur of the vehicle battery has been flattened?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Today I went out to the 2015 Hymer B678 to start it and the red airbag warning light came on. In addition I noticed that the yellow warning light on the dashboard was on to show that the passenger's side airbag had been turned off. I had never turned that off, but went into the settings and turned it back on, but the red warning light is still on. The motorhome is plugged in to the mains and the EBL charges the vehicle battery so AFAIK the battery has never gone flat.

Could this be the same problem or will it only occur of the vehicle battery has been flattened?
Sounds a bit like ours, airbag warning light and passengers airbag off but we also had milometer flashing.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Our battery never gone flat or even low. Light came on after husband removed the trim cover over it. A bit of a worry, as the trim cover has to be removed to change the unit ! Chicken and egg comes to mind. He says the unit is a tight fit under the trim cover.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds a bit like ours, airbag warning light and passengers airbag off but we also had milometer flashing.
As far as I know the milometer was not flashing. Should have said that my model is an X290, rather than an X250, so wonder if that makes a difference.

The dealer we always use is the one we bought it from, Becks in Norfolk, but we are a long way from them in Kent and just about to go into full quarantine because my wife is going into hospital in a couple of weeks time for a long delayed hip operation. Spoke to the mechanic there and the first thing he asked me was if my battery had been flat. They have had 4 fail in the last few weeks and he sends them off to be repaired, probably to Crash Data. He also said if you take it into a Fiat Pro dealer they will just insist on fitting a new one for a lot of money.

He also suggested that I have a look under the seats to make sure no wires have come out on the seat belt tensioners as that sometimes happens with rotating seats. I will do that tomorrow and at the same time I will check to see if the milometer is flashing.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Should have said that my model is an X290, rather than an X250, so wonder if that makes a difference.
No idea but think I read somewhere that the X290 had a more robust airbag ECU fitted given the frequent issue in the X250.

He also said if you take it into a Fiat Pro dealer they will just insist on fitting a new one for a lot of money.
Exactly what FIAT Pro said to me when I phoned them with the error code provided by our local MOT place.

He also suggested that I have a look under the seats to make sure no wires have come out on the seat belt tensioners as that sometimes happens with rotating seats.
Have certainly seen some other Funsters making that comment.
If you've access to an OBD reader and can get the error codes you could call \ online chat with crash-data. From memory Jean on the phone and Abbey on chatline. They're very helpful.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you've access to an OBD reader and can get the error codes you could call \ online chat with crash-data. From memory Jean on the phone and Abbey on chatline. They're very helpful.
Thanks. Have my Son coming around later this evening with his OBD kit, so we may get somewhere. He has the software for his Alfa Romeo which he thinks if the same as Fiat,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back