Fiat Ducato Key Fob Stopped Working (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Just brought over from Germany my Fiat Ducato based motor home. Just driven over and has been on the drive for a week. Key worked perfectly until today when it was completely unresponsive to the remote unlock/lock button. Still works fine with the key in the ignition and in the door lock. Have changed the battery in case but same, completely dead. Obviously all under warranty so no big deal but would like to avoid the hassle of taking it to the fiat dealership. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
I've read something about holding down lock key for 10 seconds and another about inserting in ignition and turning on and then pressing lock key to synch key. Neither helped.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have had that a few times. Try starting and moving the van a few hundred yards. Then retry the remote to rule out interference. Have had this on an OAP estate with radios for the warden and near a taxi office

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
I have had that a few times. Try starting and moving the van a few hundred yards. Then retry the remote to rule out interference. Have had this on an OAP estate with radios for the warden and near a taxi office
Will take it for a drive tomorrow and check if it works.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
Last attempt
Put spare key in ignition turn to position 1 (lights on) Close door put remote key in door and lock door remove key and try unlocking with remote button

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Last attempt
Put spare key in ignition turn to position 1 (lights on) Close door put remote key in door and lock door remove key and try unlocking with remote button
still no luck but thanks for the suggestion!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Have the same issue and tried the same remedies including other sequential ones involving turning lights on etc but to no avail. Can’t identify a fuse that affects the remote control fob. The central locking itself works fine when pressing the lock button on the dash and automatically when the van is moving at about 5mph.
Also, it works using the separate alarm remote control.
So just the Peugeot remote fob at issue. 😕

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have the same issue and tried the same remedies including other sequential ones involving turning lights on etc but to no avail. Can’t identify a fuse that affects the remote control fob. The central locking itself works fine when pressing the lock button on the dash and automatically when the van is moving at about 5mph.
Also, it works using the separate alarm remote control.
So just the Peugeot remote fob at issue. 😕
They are prone to dry solder joints and do sometimes stop working. A friend who is an auto locksmith has dealt with several

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
They are prone to dry solder joints and do sometimes stop working. A friend who is an auto locksmith has dealt with several
Are they repairable or do you have to replace them? I’d consider a local auto locksmith if there was one. But at the moment, just use either the alarm fob or alternatively, use the key in the driver’s door and turn. Locks all doors including habitation door.
Just don‘t like having things not working as they should!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Are they repairable or do you have to replace them? I’d consider a local auto locksmith if there was one. But at the moment, just use either the alarm fob or alternatively, use the key in the driver’s door and turn. Locks all doors including habitation door.
Just don‘t like having things not working as they should!
Yes they can often be repaired and there is a ready supply of replacement cases

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Open key and spray with electrical contact cleaner? Don’t blame me if it doesn’t work at all afterwards though.

Upvote 1
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Open key and spray with electrical contact cleaner? Don’t blame me if it doesn’t work at all afterwards though.
Will do so. After all, it’s not working at present for remotely locking the van. Having said that, is there a danger it could affect the immobiliser? 😱

Maybe seek out an auto key smith.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Just for anyone coming across this with a similar issue. In order to reset I disconnected the van battery - very easy with the quick release on the negative - reconnected and all worked again. No idea why it happened and time will tell if it is going to be a regular problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun Living
I came across this site and in particular, this thread when my Key fob stopped working. I live in Germany and have an Adria Sun-Living panel van conversion. I have had it for 6 years, without any issues.
Last week the key fob stopped working. I took it to the local Master mechanic who is reputed to be an expert on all things camper vans. He handed it back saying he couldn't find the problem after spending a day searching. 140€. Yesterday I noticed that the key fobs on my other cars, Mazda MX5 (ND) and Ford Focus were both not working, unless standing over the car. I drove the van away and parked it 500 metres away. Both fobs on the Mazda and Ford worked normally. Once the van was returned they stopped working again. So I knew the problem was in the van. Something was blocking the signal of all fobs. I disconnected everything, leisure battery and vehicle battery. Still no resolution. I slept on it overnight and went through everything that could be transmitting in a fitful night of weird dreams. I suddenly remembered my wife had bought a weather station thing which had a separate unit that was placed with the gas bottles to measure the outdoor temperature. I took it out, removed the batteries and, Hey Presto, everything works again.
I am not suggesting this is what is causing everyone's, non responding key fob problem but it does had to the library of possibilities already garnered on here.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I came across this site and in particular, this thread when my Key fob stopped working. I live in Germany and have an Adria Sun-Living panel van conversion. I have had it for 6 years, without any issues.
Last week the key fob stopped working. I took it to the local Master mechanic who is reputed to be an expert on all things camper vans. He handed it back saying he couldn't find the problem after spending a day searching. 140€. Yesterday I noticed that the key fobs on my other cars, Mazda MX5 (ND) and Ford Focus were both not working, unless standing over the car. I drove the van away and parked it 500 metres away. Both fobs on the Mazda and Ford worked normally. Once the van was returned they stopped working again. So I knew the problem was in the van. Something was blocking the signal of all fobs. I disconnected everything, leisure battery and vehicle battery. Still no resolution. I slept on it overnight and went through everything that could be transmitting in a fitful night of weird dreams. I suddenly remembered my wife had bought a weather station thing which had a separate unit that was placed with the gas bottles to measure the outdoor temperature. I took it out, removed the batteries and, Hey Presto, everything works again.
I am not suggesting this is what is causing everyone's, non responding key fob problem but it does had to the library of possibilities already garnered on here.
How interesting! We have one of those remote thermometers. Can’t wait to see if this resolves our issue. Tried everything from new batteries to BIS reset to no avail. Will go to the van tomorrow and give it a go.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting, we have a weather station at home and the external sender is on a north-facing gate post close to where the van is parked.

Have occasional issues with the remote?? :unsure:

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Disappointingly, I went out to the van this morning removed the batteries from the thermometer and sender but still the fob failed to open or lock the van! 🥲
Checked the battery again as well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back