Fiat Ducato Cam Belt (1 Viewer)

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
Morning all, having just sold my Trigano Tribute, i am lookinh at buying a Adria Sunliving Flexo SP (2014) mls 23000. Can anyone tell me should i have the cam belt replaced before i buy i have been told its ok for somthing like 80000 mls? Thanks Ken

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
If you can ID the engine in the Moho... the fiat service schedule ( available on the web - i’d guess) should provide you with such info (y)

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
If you can ID the engine in the Moho... the fiat service schedule ( available on the web - i’d guess) should provide you with such info (y)
The website is great for this. We did ours and it has to changed every 5 years irrespective of miles but they do vary so fletton advice is spot on

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I'm guessing that the seller isn't brave enough to offer you a written warranty that the cambelt will last for another 57,000 miles. :whistle2:

5 years comes first, so it might have about a year of use left in it at best. If the van has been standing around for several months that is not good for it so if that is the case I would get the cambelt changed sooner, for peace of mind. Just my 2d worth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume it's this one at Webbs:

Definitely insist on the cam belt being done as it'll be 4 years old in May so will need doing in the next year.

For info there's a 2016 model here too (private sale) for not much more:

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
For info there's a 2016 model here too (private sale) for not much more:

Broken Link Removed

That one has the same colour scheme as ours. If the seat covers get stained you can wash them out under a cold water tap and leave to dry :) :)

And for @intokenny I would get the the dealer to change the cam belt as a condition of sale - it will cost him far less than it will cost you :) Mel's heads up looks like a good buy but again I would insist on a full service as part of the sale :)

Love our Adria SunLiving, we have one of the coachbuilts.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
some people wait until the end of the 5 years as they dont do the mileage, but it is better to play it safe.

My daughter's boyfriend's cam belt went just after the car had been registered for 4 years (a Mazda). Car was a write off. After a lot of argument (the car had been regularly serviced and not done excessive miles) it turned out the belt was nearer to 7 years old than 4. Worth checking as parts can be around a long time before they are fitted.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
Peterborough
Funster No
Exp
Since 2014 ex tugger
Yes have seen cambelts from main dealers that are over 3 years old and classed as new (been sat on their shelves) all cambelts supplied by reputable suppliers have a date on them when they were manufactured usually not far from the name, thats a decent belt brand. I know all main dealer belts have this and good brands like Dayco and Gates also put this information on them, its true what they say if going for cheapest bits dont expect a silk purse if you only pay for a pigs ear, after 40 years in the trade I do know what I am on about.

Upvote 0

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
@Minxy Girl yes that's the one. I had seen the other one but just am unsure buying private!!!:unsure:
If it's a dealer they should do the belt for you . If you decide on the van make it part of the sale as Minxygirl sais above . The dealer won't charge himself £70 plus per hour labour, he'll charge at least that to you though:whistle:.
Five year schedule is Most manufacturers idea now. VERY expensive if it breaks.
Good luck withthe search.
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
Peterborough
Funster No
Exp
Since 2014 ex tugger
Here is a good one for you, customer just turned up, he has bought a cambelt kit off of EBAY saving himself £8 over the cost of what I would have charged him, the problem with the kit he has purchased is that it is clearly stamped with a manufactured date of november 2008, true its new and unused but I will not fit a belt so far passed the manufactured date as when (it will) it fails it would look bad on me pointed it out to him and he has know purchased a kit manufactured last month and he has driven away with a smile on his face and his warranty.

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Unless you reach the mileage the advice given of every 5 years maximum is better than good. I would stress that in my opinion all parts run by belt be changed at same time. That includes rollers, adjusters and usually water pump. I've had too many vehicles come to me who have had just belt changed and 1 year down the line the tensioner or water pump fails, engine destroyed.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
Peterborough
Funster No
Exp
Since 2014 ex tugger
For my sins as a motorhome owner I have a Ducato, every 4 years I replace the cambelt and tensioner as well as all rollers, knowing that it sit for most of its life not doing mileage as we are living in it or it is parked in storage average of 12k a year. The stress the belt takes in normal use as Itravel as do most people with a full load, it is false economy not to change the belt at the appropriate time or in my case at least a year early, the cambelt is the heart and aorta of the engine and always under stress and a little TLC with the engine goes a long way. Not every one sees that side of things and I for one dont want the stress of an expensive repair, true I dont charge myself the exorbitant hourly rate that main stealers (meant dealers) charge but the expense has more than paid off with trouble free motoring. And that to me is priceless after 11 years and 165000 trouble free miles of motoring in the ducato. Supposed to be retired now, but it is hard when you built your business up and employ others and still like to keep my fingers greasy as I get older, and I would miss the other halve if she gave up complaining about my greasy and rough hands.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I bought low mileage MH, 2.8 JTD Ducato, only 19,000 miles but 8 years old, so belt almost certainly 10 years old.
When belt removed it looked new, but look what lack of use had done to pulley, the grease had also dried out so failure would have been due to pulley, not the belt.

belt.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Neighbour's daughter has a 207 that shredded it's cambelt on Sunday night, I towed it home for her. It has 90k on the clock and is 2 months short of 10 years old. It seems the recommendation to change is 100k or 10 years, both of which sounded far too optimistic for me. Anyhoo, garage says £350 to fit a new belt, then try it and if there are problems (bent valves etc) she's probably looking at just under a grand for a head job. Her mother's boyfriend told her to scrap it and shop around for another vehicle, I can't see the logic in that, worst case scenario is £1k for a rebuild on a car she's run for the last 3 years and knows, or £3k upwards for a similar vehicle with unknown pedigree.

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I bought low mileage MH, 2.8 JTD Ducato, only 19,000 miles but 8 years old, so belt almost certainly 10 years old.
When belt removed it looked new, but look what lack of use had done to pulley, the grease had also dried out so failure would have been due to pulley, not the belt.

View attachment 224467
That photo should be compulsory viewing for all owners unsure whether to change just the belt or go the whole hog. Thanks for sharing it.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My local village garage is brilliant and extremely affordable.

Just had cambelt and bits changed. New (quality) oil and filter, new air filters, radiator flushed, brakes steering etc checked. New battery (€100) and terminal clamps fitted. Total bill... €520. (€70 labour).

Burstner Privilege 2006 Citreon 2.8 turbo engine.

Just one of the many, many reasons I love Portugal. :wink:

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back