LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
OK, the gift that is COVID-19 has managed a good one.

The Airbag ECU has failed on my Ducato. It was sent to Crashdata for analysis and repair. I have just heard that there are no new/replacement airbag modules available until August at the earliest. Apparently the main reason is the factory shutting down during the lockdowns in Italy.

If anyone has any bright ideas (short of 'jury-rigging') to rescue our summer, they would be appreciated!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I take it that crash data cannot repair? We drove around all summer last year with the failure light on - it is a yellow warning. Only got it fixed for MOT in november.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I agree with Riverbankannie. Mine failed and my mechanic removed it to send off for repair - didn’t stop me using the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I also agree. I drove mine from October to February with the irritating airbag warning light on. Got the module fixed last month by Crashdata.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You're easiest, but not necessarily your cheapest, short-term fix is take up smoking and keep your fag packet in front of the dash panel!:whistle2:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Another top tip:

Don't crash the van! The airbags and seatbelt tensioners might not deploy if the airbag ecu module is inop.

OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
I take it that crash data cannot repair? We drove around all summer last year with the failure light on - it is a yellow warning. Only got it fixed for MOT in november.
No, Crashdata can't repair it.
Another top tip:

Don't crash the van! The airbags and seatbelt tensioners might not deploy if the airbag ecu module is inop.
This is my worry about driving without the inoperative airbag system.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
There are loads of airbag repairers online it maybe worth ringing a few to see what they can offer in the way of repair or replacement.

Pengwern

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 690
Exp
Since 2017
I had the same problem two weeks ago with my Adria Coral which is a Ducato base. I took it to my local motorhome repairer, Automaster S.Wales Ltd. They confirmed the ECU needed replacing, and that it's a common problem with over wintering. They ordered the necessary ECU and it was repaired within two days. It cost me £235 parts and labour. So I'm surprised that you have been told that there are none available. Maybe you need to push them a little harder. The airbags wont work if the ECU is not working. So it's a chance you take if you wait until your MOT is due.

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Had mine repaired by Crashdata last Oct for MOT. My van is on permanent EHU so battery is always charged. Went to use it last month and the airbag warning has come up again.

Was going to ask Crashdata if they would reset it at no cost but i suspect they will try to say it is my fault

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I had the same problem two weeks ago with my Adria Coral which is a Ducato base. I took it to my local motorhome repairer, Automaster S.Wales Ltd. They confirmed the ECU needed replacing, and that it's a common problem with over wintering. They ordered the necessary ECU and it was repaired within two days. It cost me £235 parts and labour. So I'm surprised that you have been told that there are none available. Maybe you need to push them a little harder. The airbags wont work if the ECU is not working. So it's a chance you take if you wait until your MOT is due.
Or Anjistar takes there's to the same garage as they're in South Wales as well!

OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
There are loads of airbag repairers online it maybe worth ringing a few to see what they can offer in the way of repair or replacement.
My current ECU is with Crashdata, they have been given a delivery date of not-before-August from Fiat. No-one has any Airbag ECUs for a 2015-on Fiat Ducato with the part number I need.

Apparently a shutdown through lockdown and a massive fire at the factory has clobbered supplies. I feel for anyone who needs one for a work van, our problem is small in comparison.

I have tried dealers, breakers yards, even the EU ebay sites. The couple of used sales I've found have turned out not to have it after all. If anyone comes across a genuine, actual ECU with the part no. 01375110080, jump on it. I will have it, new or used, provided it's in working order and just needs coding.

OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Is yours a 2015-on, 130bhp 2.3 Ducato?

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
I've just received an email to say my air bag module has been repaired and it is on the way back to me (y) . This is the second time I've had problems, the first was replaced under warranty when it failed at two weeks old. No flat battery issues, just been stood up for a few months. I can't believe FIAT can't sort this out as it is a safety issue as well as an MOT failure. This has now been going on for over five years. It is obviously so bad that it has allowed companies like Crashdata to set up to fix the problems.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Coastal Motorhomes seem to have stock if I have understood their website correctly.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Had mine repaired by Crashdata last Oct for MOT. My van is on permanent EHU so battery is always charged. Went to use it last month and the airbag warning has come up again.

Was going to ask Crashdata if they would reset it at no cost but i suspect they will try to say it is my fault
I doubt it they are very good. I would call them

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
I have just received my module back from Crashdata, and the report says the failure was due to an overcharge of 14.6 v. Therefore the unit is not only sensitive to low volts, but high volts as well.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have just received my module back from Crashdata, and the report says the failure was due to an overcharge of 14.6 v. Therefore the unit is not only sensitive to low volts, but high volts as well.
They nearly always say that. 14.6v isnt that high. Maybe a sudden spike may cause the issue.

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
They nearly always say that. 14.6v isnt that high. Maybe a sudden spike may cause the issue.
hrmm! Thats interesting. I wonder if because mine is on permanent hook up and charging they would consider that a spike.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
<Broken link removed>

This bloke in Poland programmes them before despatch.

I think the ECU has to be "programmed" to each specific vehicle (but, as usual, I may be wrong:doh:).
True but OP needs to get one first that can be programmed as his is dead.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
How much did it cost and was it done at a Fiat garage?
We sent it to crashdata - it cost £75 to repair. The report came back that it had had a high voltage spike. I am assuming on start up as speed was recorded at zero and I had already driven without incident to Costco, and it came on as I started up to leave. I had not had a low battery at all.
D0EF2C8E-4B8F-4926-B263-4C5B4808C61A.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back