Ferry to Spain prices in August (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2017
Chudleigh, Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 2
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting the ferry to Spain next summer (late late July or August). Either Plymouth (closest) or Portsmouth to either Santander or Bilbao (preferred).

Probably one way, and either drive down/ferry back or vice versa.

I'd like an idea of what people paid for similar this year, please. Economie sailings.

As the sailings are all full for the next month or so, I cant look on the BF website for current prices, also, I'm guessing (hoping) that booked many months in advance prices might be slightly cheaper?

I'm just trying to get a feel for what it may cost to sail in August if booked in say January?

On the topic of BF ferries I've noticed people asking for 'codes' with people then PMing replies, can someone let me know what this is all about?

Many thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting the ferry to Spain next summer (late late July or August). Either Plymouth (closest) or Portsmouth to either Santander or Bilbao (preferred).

Probably one way, and either drive down/ferry back or vice versa.

I'd like an idea of what people paid for similar this year, please. Economie sailings.

As the sailings are all full for the next month or so, I cant look on the BF website for current prices, also, I'm guessing (hoping) that booked many months in advance prices might be slightly cheaper?

I'm just trying to get a feel for what it may cost to sail in August if booked in say January?

On the topic of BF ferries I've noticed people asking for 'codes' with people then PMing replies, can someone let me know what this is all about?

Many thanks
If you were going there and back on the ferry to Spain it would probably pay you to join the BF Club Voyage. It gets you 30% off the ticket but there is a joining fee and an annual fee. The combination of the two fees makes the saving in the first year minimal but it gets better in subsequent years, assuming you go every year. Sadly, I don't think you will get any saving if you are only going one way although if you are returning on BF from Roscoff to Plymouth, which given where you live might be an option, you will get a bit off this leg. This is because there are two clubs, one for Spain and one for France and you only get the full saving on one but from memory you get 10% or so off a crossing on the other route.
Your Club membership number can be lent to friends and family and they get 10% off their crossing - and you get a tenner put in your account! :)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you join the Spanish club you get 30% off Spanish crossings and 15% off French crossings, you also get the breakfast allowance for French and Spanish overnight crossings. You get a reduction on the price of DAY cabins on the French crossings as well.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Our first year's cost with joining fee + membership for the Spanish club will have paid for itself by the time we book our return trip to Spain for next year as I was able to get the 15% discount on ferries to France applied retrospectively (we go in 2 weeks) - thanks to whoever pointed this out in a much earlier thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brendan Stone
Mar 23, 2017
Chudleigh, Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 2
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks for everyone's replies and PMs and advice about clubs and discounts etc. all very helpful.

But can anyone tell me what they paid for an August crossing this year? either Plymouth or Portsmouth. I'm just trying to get an idea of whether we can even afford to consider it.

Thanks

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just did a search :

Cruise tomorrow 8m MH 1 passenger £454 one way with 30% off - PLUS cabin.....

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Booked in January, Plymouth to Santander (Should have been Portsmouth but Brit Ferries had to change it) sailed 21st August arriving 22nd this week. 7metre motorhome 3 metres high, cost one way with my Club Voyage membership and 30% discount applied was £318.50p. To this add the price of a cabin which varies with choice ie inside, outside, number of berths. This on the Point Aven not an economy vessel.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Brendan Stone
Mar 23, 2017
Chudleigh, Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 2
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks Barclaybasher, but I'm trying to find out what prices are when booking earlier in the year i.e. January, rather than last minute. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think you get a huge discount for booking far ahead with BF. It wouldn't surprise me if it might not even be more expensive. :) For example, I've just looked and a one way sailing this Sunday from Portsmouth to Bilbao for two people and a 6.5m MH is £599 without a cabin, which will cost around another £100 at least.

I would budget, if you can book far ahead on around £500, it won't be less and might be a bit more. Bookings will be open later this year for next summer. Have a look then and decide what you want to do. :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thanks Barclaybasher, but I'm trying to find out what prices are when booking earlier in the year i.e. January, rather than last minute. :)

Hi
As others have said not much difference but less choice of cabins and if you have pets book as soon as bookings open.:)

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
What you will probably find is, if a booking is left too late, you will not get the choice of cabins you would prefer. I have booked for the middle of April 2022 from Plymouth to Santander which cost me £286, after my voyager club discount applied, plus the cost of cabin.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Dont know why you cant check it on line.Just been on their web site and looked,Portsmouth Bilbao early Aug one way with 6.5 metre van,two passengers and outside cabin,,,WOW expensive,,711 pounds and thats with my Club Voyage discount...Glad i travel out of season..BUSBY.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Dont know why you cant check it on line.Just been on their web site and looked,Portsmouth Bilbao early Aug one way with 6.5 metre van,two passengers and outside cabin,,,WOW expensive,,711 pounds and thats with my Club Voyage discount...Glad i travel out of season..BUSBY.
2019 thread.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back