Ferry prices/changing dates on chunnel (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Been having a look at ferry prices and the chunnel for early October, not booking as not sure if we will be able to go. Ferry prices to Calais are fine, to Spain eyewatering, but we may have to bite the bullet as time away will be limited.
Thought about tunnell, never used it before but had read about people changing their dates if unable to go. Standard fare £87 flexi £287 has anyone managed to change, when not using a flexi ticket. thought of out on tunnel back from Bilbao or Santander.
Thoughts folks, sensible preferred.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We changed a standard ticket with no problem , of course if you pick a more expensive replacement tunnel you have to pay the difference.

We had to put a trip on hold once due to a family bereavement, we rang Eurotunnel and they simply moved it to a much later date at the same price. Later when we were able to reschedule our trip I was able to go in and move it again.

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Sue, changed my standard one way tunnel ticket very easily on line and no admin charge!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We are paying around £470 for the Plymouth to Santander crossing with the van and car trailer and a club class cabin on October 1. Just booked the return crossing for the end of March next year and that is costing £450, at the same time I have booked next year's crossing for going out on September 30 and that is costing £430. The earlier you book the cheaper it is, I also used a friends discount code which saves around £30.
If you are happy to travel on Brittany Ferries economie boat which has slightly fewer cruise style facilities and the chance that your vehicle could be on the open deck then you could save around £100 on those sums.
If you book online you can change your sailing without charge.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Same as above,no problem,allways found when altering Dates/Times the people are most helpful. Went on the Ferry last time we came over,because of memories of us and the Growler on the Chunnel,i am sure she will not hold it against us,using the train again without her .
Tea Bag

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Mikeco,
Inspired by your posting above, I just booked for Nov 2018 as well! Good thinking to get in early.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Standard tunnel can be changed up to a year ahead from the day you book.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We use the Tunnel again on Monday.
Last year I changed my booking times and the vehicle before we went, with no extra charge except for the difference in time of travel.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Mikeco,
Inspired by your posting above, I just booked for Nov 2018 as well! Good thinking to get in early.
That's what I thought and if you go into "Manage my booking " you can change any of your details including your travel date

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you can find a partner you could look to share the Euro Tunnel Frequent Traveller Account, that's what we've done this year and it works out cheaper and much better in terms of being able to change the dates if you need to with no or very little extra cost.

You need to 'buy' a minimum of 10 single crossings ... we wanted 4 single crossings (ie 2 returns) and other party wanted the rest so we were able to do it. The beauty of this is that you can change the dates/times without charge so long as you don't go into the peak periods and even then if you do you just pay a supplement however these peak times aren't that much of a problem as there are very few in reality and the main 'restriction' is that you only travel out/in during certain times of day (see below link) but again this isn't that restrictive and if you want to go out during these times you just pay a small supplement.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/types/frequent-traveller/frequent-traveller-times/

For us it costs £55 each way (£44 car price + £11 MH supplement), so £110 (plus the dogs of course!).

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Our booking this year was discounted by our Caravan & Motorhome club membership (booked through CAMC site)
It was almost the cost of our membership so well worth it.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
If you want to change the booking is it through the camc site as well?

Our booking this year was discounted by our Caravan & Motorhome club membership (booked through CAMC site)
It was almost the cost of our membership so well worth it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want to change the booking is it through the camc site as well?
When we did one many years ago we could only alter it via the C&C (C&MC now) and they added a £10 supplement to change it as well as the extra cost of the new booking date!

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Tunnel every time, no hidden charges either way, can easily change. Also as both have health issues, we find their travel insurance reasonable without having to give all our health details. All you need to confirm is that your doctor says you are fit to go.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Why not use Frequent Traveller no extras for changing at any time,we changed up to 12 hours before we due to cross.

Colyboy

NYE INFORMAL RALLY, LOOE , CORNWALL

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You can change standard tunnel ticket travel time or date as often as you like with no admin fees.

Can all be done online, or alternatively through Eurotunnel Contact Centre

Staff are really helpful on the phone.

Easy to research revised crossing price online, then telephone straight away and ask for specific time/date you've seen online.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We were on our way to the tunnel two years back when we had a call to say mum had been taken terminally ill (massive stroke) we called tunnel they put my ticket on hold until we were able to travel.they provide an excellent service.
Of course as others have said we had to pay extra as time of travel changed but that was all.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Tunnel every time, no hidden charges either way, can easily change. Also as both have health issues, we find their travel insurance reasonable without having to give all our health details. All you need to confirm is that your doctor says you are fit to go.
wish i could put nce one, innformative and thanks for same post. Everyone has been all three. think I will bite the bullet once i have this weeks grandchildrens trip sorted.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Tunnel every time - wife hates ferries plus we have a dog, don't like to leave him on his own although he was okay when we used the Morocco ferry. Have changed bookings couple of times, doddle. Usually quite a bit more money than ferries but we use Tesco vouchers so get our crossings "for free" (yes I know we still have to spend at Tesco!)

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We used the tunnel frequent traveller scheme for two years. Initially it worked great for us and we thoroughly enjoyed the ease of booking and ease of changing booking times etc . However year two and due to unforeseen work / family commitments we found we had to squeeze the trips in to a very short time frame ,IE in winter and over a couple of months , so ended up using trips at times we didnt really want, just for the sake of using unused allocation . Too late to allocate another named driver as that has to be completed at time of scheme purchase . Tunnel Co would not consider trip rollover beyond the 1 year contract , which is fair enough , a contract is an agreement .
Decided not to renew in to a third year......... That said ,we would now use the tunnel in preference to the ferries on single bookings , despite the seemingly fairly steep differential in costs .Just so much more relaxing and easy.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
C&CC charged us £15 to change booking - but gave 10% discount on ticket - changing it once cancelled discount, twice and it got 'heavy' ...... Eurotunnel don't seem to mind changing (and maybe you can still use the Tesco vouchers?) just for 'difference payment' repeatedly. Last year, on return leg we had no booking ... checked prices online as we approached coast to find best offer over the next 48hrs, then phoned CCC who booked and gave 10% discount. Options.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You can change travel times on the Tunnel even if you've used Tesco vouchers. We've had to do it in the past.

Denise

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have just been checking prices for Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to Bilbao early October, boy oh boy what an increase on last years price . . on the Economique service with compulsory cabin, of course, £459. last year same time and details £319 Oh Please! what an increase !!!!,
how can they justify a 43% increase in one year ???, maybe its just me !!!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have just been checking prices for Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to Bilbao early October, boy oh boy what an increase on last years price . . on the Economique service with compulsory cabin, of course, £459. last year same time and details £319 Oh Please! what an increase !!!!,
how can they justify a 43% increase in one year ???, maybe its just me !!!

Probably taking the state of the pound against last year sounds about right

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Denisejoe, Yeah that's part of it of course, but the euro/pound was around 1.10 at the time of travel last year, just a couple of points different to today . . hardly accounting for 43% !!!!!,
Ah well :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We go club voyage with Brittany ferries and you can amend as much as you like up to 5 days before travel no charge. Just booked our crossing for next year Portsmouth/Caen £20 increase for exactly the same return crossing with cabins. Just over£500 but have no choice as still working towards retirement:smiley:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
£20 increase !!!!, that's brilliant compared with the 43% increase in mine, makes you wonder how the same company can be so illogical . . except for the obvious . .virtual monopoly on the route !!!!!!, or am I being a little bit cynical . . .you bet I am !!!!!!,
Sorry about your work situation, though it will come eventually
. :drink: :drink:. :drink: :drink:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
£20 increase !!!!, that's brilliant compared with the 43% increase in mine, makes you wonder how the same company can be so illogical . . except for the obvious . .virtual monopoly on the route !!!!!!, or am I being a little bit cynical . . .you bet I am !!!!!!,
Sorry about your work situation, though it will come eventually
. :drink: :drink:. :drink: :drink:
Thanks every day is a day nearer. Think the monopoly on long crossing that Brittany ferries has should be looked at. Prices probably reflect the fact that we have little choice. I wanted to come back Cherbourg Portsmouth one year in advance booking and got sorry that crossing is full already :Eeek: worst thing is the crossing we have will again be totally overloaded and not enjoyable at all:( but it won't spoil the rest of the holiday :france::clap2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back