Ferries, Greece to Italy, Italy to Spain - anyone done this? (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’m in planning mode for Autumn 2025…

In Sept ‘25 we plan to go to Greece via the popular (Bari) Italy to Greece ferry. We want to come back the same way into Italy via ferry, then get a ferry from Italy to Spain. I’ve seen a route to Barcelona from north of Rome. This will be in Dec 2025. Will the ferry’s all still be running? Whom is this kind of thing best to book with and why please?

Anyone done this?

Thanks in advance …

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I was talking to another Funster who has vast experience of using the Ferries between
Italy and Greece.

He informed me that;
1. Bari is a long way from suitable alternatives (Ancona) Whatever you save on fares will be used up in fuel to get there.
2. The Bari area is, how shall we say, less 'Tourist friendly'

Anecdotal comments re travel agents suggest Viamare who have offices in the UK.

The Barcelona to Italy ferry you mention probably goes from
Civitavecchia which is the cruise /ferry port for Rome. It's about 40kms from the Capital.

Just had a look and it's running to the end of Nov. beginning of Dec.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We did Ancona to Igoumenitsa last year and came back at the beginning of November. It runs all year. It’s a long tedious journey, they give you a vague boarding time which seems to bear little relationship to the boarding or departure time. I think the crossing was 20 hours. No camping in van on that crossing. We had perfect weather, not sure what it would be like in rough weather. Cleanliness left a lot to be desired if you’re on the fussy side.

Bari to Patras is about 10 or 11, the proper ferry is all year round. I think it’s Minoan lines.

No idea about Rome to Spain.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sailed from Piraeus on many an occasion to the islands, 'rollerbagging' (it's like backpacking for geriatrics!)
For anyone who's never been there, it's like a mix of Dover and Calais but much bigger and more manic!
At about 7.30 to 8am every morning there's a stream of 'cross channel' ferry sized ships leave the harbour and spread out to the islands scattered about the Aegean. The ship that doesn't leave at that time is the ferry to Crete. From memory, the ferry to there is generally bigger than the norm. and I recall that it leaves in the early evening.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back