Fault and Cure LPG Fill Point eg, Auto gas, Gaslow (1 Viewer)

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Topped up My Motor home 11KG Gaslow Bottle today as I was passing a busy Asda LPG Filling Station.
It took 9.8L of gas to fill up. The bottle holds circa 17.6L of gas. { 22L X 80% }
I removed the LPG filling nozzle and there was a slow hissing leak, enough of a leak to make the filler cap icy white. I re-attached the filling nozzle to put more gas in the bottle to re-seat the mechanical valve but as the gaslow bottle was full no more LPG would go in.
I paid for the gas and drove around the corner and parked up to inspect.
The Gaslow LPG bottle was turned off for filling.
To quote the internet:-
Fillpoint leaking after filling up with LPG.
Solution
In every GAS IT LPG fill point there is a valve that is designed to close when the fill gun is removed but on the very rare occasion the vehicle filling up on the same pump before you didn't have a dust cap or lid on the fillpoint ( its a legal requirement under R67 to have some means of a dust cover ) and they got dirt ( mud, grit etc ) then this mechanical dirt can be pushed into the fillpoint and hold this non return valve slightly open which will cause the fillpoint to let the gas back out. Now as these leaks are usually very small, the excess flow valve in the 80% shut off valve won't see a big enough pressure drop and it will continue to leak out until the bottle or tank is empty.

The first thing you need to do if you suspect the fillpoint is leaking is to re attach the fill gun and try and pump a little more gas in. This will generally push the dirt from the valve in the fillpoint down into the tank or bottle. The benefit of having the fill gun re attached as though you are filling up is this will make the fillpoint fully sealed and will stop the leak - so you can then contact GAS IT or a local LPG installer who can come and help you out.

To stop this happening in the first place, we recommend you do a visual check of the fill gun before you put it on your vehicle to make sure its not covered in dirt or mud. You can also buy a filter that screws in the fillpoint before you fill up so that any mechanical dirt is kept away from the valve in the fillpoint and also the 2nd valve in the 80% shut off valve in tank or bottle.

It's GAS IT Part number is GI-0055 and description is 'UK Fillpoint Bayonet and Direct Gas In © Filters'

Upshot:-
Even with the gas bottle turned off I lost 4L of gas over several hours. Having some capacity to now re-fill I put 2L of LPG back in and removed the filling pump nozzle to check if the valve had now re-seated and re-sealed.
and it had. I put another 2L of LPG in to fill the system to MAX. Again I checked that the valve had re-sealed which it had. Just wanted to share this info.
I do have a dust cap on My gas fill point and this has not happened before. I have ordered a new fill point in case it happens again, handy to have a spare in case I am away on holiday with a leaking LPG fill point valve and no spare part within miles.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would have thought for that to happen you would have two non return valves sticking as there is one in the bottle and one in the filler connector.

A11kg bottle has a capacity of 11kg (approx 22 Lt) at 80%.

OP
OP
Campervan_man

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I turned the bottle off before filling. When the fill point started slowly leaking after I withdrew the filling nozzle I thought I would just lose the gas in the filler hose but I lost 4L of LPG over several hours.
Gasit say that because the leak is so small :-
''Now as these leaks are usually very small, the excess flow valve in the 80% shut off valve won't see a big enough pressure drop and it will continue to leak out until the bottle or tank is empty.''

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But you would still have to have two valves leaking for that to happen unless there is a leak in the filler pipe or the vonnectors as well. Or the leak is at the connector on the cylinder.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Although it sounds illogical at first having both non return valves fail which is unlikely it could still happen.
When filling both valves will open. On disconnecting they should both close,but if the one on the bottle is slower to close than the one on the filler it could remain open as the pressure is still present in the filler pipe. If the leak from the filler valve is very slow there won't be enough pressure difference to close the valve on the bottle.
I have never experienced this myself (alugas)

OP
OP
Campervan_man

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Hopefully it won't happen again. It's a newish bottle { less than 12 months old }. As soon as there was some capacity to put more gas in the system the gas fill valve re-seated / resealed. Not a situation good having LPG leaking out of the filler valve.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Ive used a screwdriver in the past to reseat the valve, I have found it effective in cleaning the valve seats using the residual gas in the pipe.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ive used a screwdriver in the past to reseat the valve, I have found it effective in cleaning the valve seats using the residual gas in the pipe.
Yes I did that once when mine was weeping, not recommended though.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Yes I did that once when mine was weeping, not recommended though.
As its brass there is no risk, I keep meaning to put some 6mm dia dowel in the moho for the next time.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I turned the bottle off before filling. When the fill point started slowly leaking after I withdrew the filling nozzle I thought I would just lose the gas in the filler hose but I lost 4L of LPG over several hours.
Gasit say that because the leak is so small :-
''Now as these leaks are usually very small, the excess flow valve in the 80% shut off valve won't see a big enough pressure drop and it will continue to leak out until the bottle or tank is empty.''
Could the 80% shut off valve be forced to close by undoing the fill pipe?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back