Fast route, Calais to Dordogne / south of France? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Looking for tips from seasoned travellers.

We’re off to France in 4 weeks and I’m starting to think about our route. From Eurotunnel we want to head directly south to find warmth, at least high teens. I recon that will mean the Dordogne area or south of that.

What fast route would be best? Preference is dual carriageways or free motorways, I’d rather not use toll roads for cost. I want to make good speed so accept tolls may be needed to avoid trailing through towns and villages or balancing distance travelled / speed v toll cost.

What route would you use and any tips on Aires close to the route?

Thanks all.

Andrew

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
1675883833315.png

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
High teens, keep heading South and when you reach Malaga look for a pitch.

Dordognshire will be similar to UK weather in March ie wet and cold.

Jul 21, 2015
Lymm, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Toleno r
Exp
Since Oct 2014
If you live in Aberdeen then 15 in March sounds bliss 😂🤣😂

Yeh, I’m aware of the ave temps and have a plan b in mind, it’s the best route to get south I was looking for help with.Abb
From tunnel head towards abbeyville small toll on this section then A28 to Rouen follow signs to avoid Critair it takes you through tunnel then over Seine turn right straight after bridge back under bridge past the big railway yard towards Evrieux and Dreux toll free towards Chartres and Tours its called the N10 route. its the pretty much the route everybody uses. Tours to Bordeaux is toll free dual carriageway.
If you live in Aberdeen then 15 in March sounds bliss 😂🤣😂

Yeh, I’m aware of the ave temps and have a plan b in mind, it’s the best route to get south I was looking for help with

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I recently did an experiment as I was bringing a lot of stuff back from my old home in the south of France and running heavy. I did the whole journey from 40km east of Toulouse to Dieppe totally on tolls cruise control the whole way at about 55 mph. Compared to the non toll route I usually take. it cost just over £10 more using the tolls because of the fuel savings and no chance of a speeding ticket with the up down speeds going through the villages with the ever increasing number of hidden speed traps. 4.5 ton 2012 Fiat Ducati Hymer “A” class.

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks both, did wonder about just blasting down the toll road. Featureless and boring but gets the miles done. Must look online as there’s a tool you can use to find out the toll cost.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Yes Via Michelin gives the toll costs, put in car and caravan to get the Motorhome cost for class 2.
p.s. I didn’t blast down the motorways, I set the cruise at 55mph which is the most economic speed for me and avoids having to keep overtaking the trucks.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
From tunnel head towards abbeyville small toll on this section then A28 to Rouen follow signs to avoid Critair it takes you through tunnel then over Seine turn right straight after bridge back under bridge past the big railway yard towards Evrieux and Dreux toll free towards Chartres and Tours its called the N10 route. its the pretty much the route everybody uses. Tours to Bordeaux is toll free dual carriageway.
Exactly same route for us first stop is usualy Aires at nonincourt

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're actually using the "N10" route now, just programmed Satnav to avoid tolls. Quite a bit of it is max 80kph if you're over 3.5t and it does pass through a lot of towns and villages - but that's how we like to travel.
But if you're in a hurry use the toll roads, won't cost too much more than the saving of diesel.

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
I didn’t blast down the motorways
Don’t really blast myself, figure of speech, van runs best sitting around 60. Just a joy not to have all the 80/50/30/50/70 etc speed changes when you want to get somewhere quickly. Will head north as things warm up so I expect to take 60+ days to get back to Calais so we can take in all the towns and villages on the way home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back