Family trip advice! France or Spain? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Bus Sali

Free Member
Mar 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
burstner iexeo 726 G
Hi everyone,

We have 4 weeks through May & June to travel anywhere we like with our 2 kids (3&1) and dog!

Question is, where do we go? We are pretty laid back and only really seeking the sun & beaches.
Where would be warmer in May? South of France or northern Spain?
Any sites with kids that anyone recommends?
We are traveling from the northwest of England & all ferry ports/tunnel are around the same distance, but which would be best suited?
Should we join the Caravan club?

We really are an open book & would love all your advice & tips!

Thanks!

brysee

Free Member
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
625se
Exp
Southwest france has lovely beaches and lots of stuff for kids to do but you will have to hope summer is a early starter which it seems to be recently

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Can’t help you there, as we new to this motorhoming.
I would be curious with dog and young children
, but guess may ok , but June ?
if hot weather . We went to Spain Portugal nov /dec just gone and I had to carry a lot of water with us when walking. But ours are big dogs .
We love the sun too .
Good luck

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
With a couple of toddlers I would be tempted to stay away from the beaches and use rivers, lakes and plan d'eaus as they will offer shade and fresh water swimming.
I would spend the princely sum of 15 pounds on Wild Swimming in France book (volume 2) and have over 1,000 different places (with photos) then choose an area.
Fresh water swimming is very common practice over there and much less so here.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
First job is get an ACSI camping card. This gives you discounts on campsites. All the campsites are inspected and tend to have decent facilities and you can look up to see if there is a toddler pool. There is an app and you can see reviews.
I don’t think you would need to book far ahead in May/June, we would normally ring up in the morning or the evening before once we know our plans. You do not want to be fixed into long drives with such a young family, best to see how it works for you all and be flexible.
This also gives you a chance to look at the weather patterns at the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Spain is a long way to travel, will be hot, kids wont remember it.
Central France and the west coast would be my recommendations.
We have travelled with our 2 grandkids almost since birth, at those ages all they want to do is run about on parks etc.
Central france have some lovely lakes that have man made beaches, so giving a sea side experience.
May and June lovely time before it gets to crowded, still hot !!

Cant give any specifics because i cant remember them all :doh:

Dont rule out some Aire stops, we travelled every summer holiday for a week through France to go to an apartment in Benidorm.
Have some great memories of places we stayed over, next to lakes and rivers, up mountains, small towns with outoor pools etc.

Be flexible and go with the flow..

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
As I write this I am located in Camping El Garrofer near Sitges. Caters for families well here and the beaches are about a 10-minute walk away. There is a frequent bus service into Sitges itself to o.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Since you're taking a dog and the U.K. South cross channel services are equidistant from you the tunnel is more dog friendly.
If the dog is O.K. to be left in the m/h the children, although only little'uns, might enjoy a ferry crossing. 20% discount off the published fare for everyone on the 4hr Newhaven to Dieppe crossing if the traveller named on the ticket is over 60. You have to book by phone.

OP
OP
Bus Sali

Bus Sali

Free Member
Mar 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
burstner iexeo 726 G
Southwest france has lovely beaches and lots of stuff for kids to do but you will have to hope summer is a early starter which it seems to be recently
I agree! Hoping the weather is on our side too, and
I would recommend Spain if all you want is sun and beachs. It is far cheaper than France. If you want nice green vistas go to France.
Would northern Spain be more reachable?

OP
OP
Bus Sali

Bus Sali

Free Member
Mar 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
burstner iexeo 726 G
As I write this I am located in Camping El Garrofer near Sitges. Caters for families well here and the beaches are about a 10-minute walk away. There is a frequent bus service into Sitges itself to o.
Wow, very nice indeed. Which route did you take there, was it long? Hope you have some nice weather….currently just had a hailstone moment in England!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you want beaches my choice would be the west coast of France or the south west of France on the Med.
Steer clear of the French Riviera, very expensive beaches not as good and many of the beaches are privately owned by the hotels so access can be difficult.

OP
OP
Bus Sali

Bus Sali

Free Member
Mar 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
burstner iexeo 726 G
If you want beaches my choice would be the west coast of France or the south west of France on the Med.
Steer clear of the French Riviera, very expensive beaches not as good and many of the beaches are privately owned by the hotels so access can be difficult.
Thanks Lenny, that’s helpful. Is there anywhere in particular you would recommend? I presume the Med would be slightly warmer for a swim?!

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
With a couple of toddlers I would be tempted to stay away from the beaches and use rivers, lakes and plan d'eaus as they will offer shade and fresh water swimming.
I agree , along the coast below Bordeaux there are lots of man made lakes for swimming/paddling just behind the coast which are really popular and accessible.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I love France. One of best holidays with kids was Domaine de Massereau https://www.massereau.com

We also loved Lac de Pareloup took our zodiac inflatable with ancient seagull outboard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You asked about joining the caravan club. Apart from possibly getting a discount on some channel crossings membership is no use outside the UK.
ACSI is a much better bet.

Reactions: f6c
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Wow, very nice indeed. Which route did you take there, was it long? Hope you have some nice weather….currently just had a hailstone moment in England!!
I just follow the sat nav instructions. lol. There's a huge ongoing roadworks on the main road into Sitges but no real hold-ups. Forgot to mention but the campsite is only around €20 per night but I am a solo traveller.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Spain every time for me.

Try the area around L’escala - it’s great for kids and cheaper than France when you are there.

Nice weather too in May/June and MUCH nicer people.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
The lakes and beaches of SW France are ideal. Sea there can be potentially dangerous with the Atlantic rollers but if kids are supervised should be ok. Lakes nice and this area is generally dog friendly unlike many beaches in Spain. Having said that Spain is cheaper and the other option would be the northern section of meditteranean Spain just over the border in the Roses Bay area. There are some nice sites here and a dog beach along the northern section of Empuriabrava.

Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny, that’s helpful. Is there anywhere in particular you would recommend? I presume the Med would be slightly warmer for a swim?!
Nice beaches in the Narbonne area.
I agree , along the coast below Bordeaux there are lots of man made lakes for swimming/paddling just behind the coast which are really popular and accessible.
Agree the lakes are good.
Spain every time for me.

Try the area around L’escala - it’s great for kids and cheaper than France when you are there.
Agree L'escala is a nice area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back