EZA 130 Lithium Power-Pack (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I have had my EZA 130 for coming up 3 years.The unit itself has been good but I’m still having occasional connectivity issues with the app.Not as bad as it once was but still maybe once a week I have to reboot the android tablet and start the EZA program again.Lowest I have ran it down to is 25% and haven’t had power issues,something i often had previously.My fiat puts a maximum of 50 amps back whilst travelling so definitely can’t get mine back to 100% with one hours driving.All in all no regrets about buying it even though the initial outlay was extreme.I havent had any notifications from Roadpro regarding firmware updates?

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
I have had my EZA 130 for coming up 3 years.The unit itself has been good but I’m still having occasional connectivity issues with the app.Not as bad as it once was but still maybe once a week I have to reboot the android tablet and start the EZA program again.Lowest I have ran it down to is 25% and haven’t had power issues,something i often had previously.My fiat puts a maximum of 50 amps back whilst travelling so definitely can’t get mine back to 100% with one hours driving.All in all no regrets about buying it even though the initial outlay was extreme.I havent had any notifications from Roadpro regarding firmware updates?

Actually come to think of it, I did have a problem with the app a month or so ago. Usually I'd end up having to reboot the battery but I couldn't be bothered and when I went back to the app a couple of hours later it connected again ok.

About the same time I upgraded the app, I bought a new Android tablet. I've had relatively few app lock ups since then.

I've had no firmware updates for the battery either.

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
Hi all - So 4.5 years of having the EZA and it still works!

The battery performance hasn't degraded so I'd notice.
The bluetooth connectivity issues have all but gone away with Android updates to my tablet. I have just noticed there is now an iOS app available so just downloaded and I'll try it.
The only real effective way to monitor the amount of power left in the battery is use the app. Tells you the % left. The voltage stays at +12V right up until it shuts down so no point in monitoring that.
I've ran it down to 10 or 20% quite often.
200w of solar panels on the roof is still keeping it charged up in the winter time.

I did consider getting another EZA in addition but the prices have not come down. At all it seems. So that ain't going to happen!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
I looked at the Eza 130 to replace my 90a/hr factory fitted battery, but the price was a little off - putting to say the least. In the end went for 2 x Eza 100 Lithium 'Compacts' at two thirds the cost. They are mounted 'Piggy Back' fashion to allow the installation of a 2000 Watt inverter in the battery box/seat base. Solar is 230 W.

Very pleased with the system and Eza themselves are very customer orientated, not so useful if you live in the UK but I expect their UK Dealer support is pretty good.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019

The bluetooth connectivity issues have all but gone away with Android updates to my tablet. I have just noticed there is now an iOS app available so just downloaded and I'll try it.
The only real effective way to monitor the amount of power left in the battery is use the app. Tells you the % left. The voltage stays at +12V right up until it shuts down so no point in monitoring that.
200w of solar panels on the roof is still keeping it charged up in the winter time.

I did consider getting another EZA in addition but the prices have not come down. At all it seems. So that ain't going to happen!
Nice review, and I appreciate the effort in keeping us updated. I live off grid for few years now. And in 2019 a van was added to our stable. I have friends that live off grid, and we share same lifestyle. Some, early adopters of LiFePo4, with home made battery banks made out of calb, sinopoly, later winston, and even LTO. However, after 8 plus years, there is degradation for sure, most found out that even lifepo4 suffers of reduced capacity over time, by cycling 100%. The important top and bottom edges, should never be used in daily use. The elevated voltage over time, (100%SOC) stresses the battery. Also low state of charge, like 2-5% needs recovering up with a very low charge rate. There is a Australian outfit that has life testing over 10 years now. I used to follow it, and had on test several batteries with surprising results. Some high end packs failed, blaming the testers for abuse, but they only followed manufacturers instructions. A lot of new manufacturers have taken their tests as a bench mark, and new guidance of use have changed over time. Even victron has come down from 14,4v to 14,2v. The victron early packs had some failures, and they have adjusted accordingly. You will not notice any degradation, unless you do a thorough capacity test. Normally degradation comes in reduced capacity, but still perform reasonably well in charge/discharge rate. So it’s hard to spot without a test. If you stay away from the last 15-20% bottom, and avoid the 100% SOC, the battery will outlive your van with ease. The cells may do well, but the electronics inside will likely fail at some point, leaving you without protection. That’s why, the bms is the last defence, and have some other fail safe for everyday use. Every Li pack fail it’s always been down to bms protection fail first, leaving the rest unprotected. Just a thought.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006

Thanks for your update very interesting.I concur with most of what you said.I did however gave up with the app and instead purchased the latest wired in version which up to now has worked flawlessly.You can’t get historical data with the wired one but that didn’t really bother me at all.My EZA is working as I had hoped when I purchased it.A very expensive unit and definitely over priced but it does do its job exceptionally well.

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
Thanks @Windy66

I don't think 19A is high at all, but maybe your bank was already quite full?

With the tech involved in LifePO4, I'd expect the EZA to be able to charge at up to around 65A?

I'm asking as I'm about to build a LifePO4 setup with 300Ah. My main "want" is the ability to put Ah in the bank fast when driving. And from research, the setup I'm looking at should be able to charge at up to around 120Ah per hour (bigger battery bank - general rule with lithium seems to be max charge of 50% capacity per hour).

Would be interesting to see what your EZA could charge at, if fairly depleted before starting the engine.

Thanks again.
I’m not sure if I came back to you with an update. RoadPro fitted a cable to the ignition (D+) and now the batter charges at 50 to 60A from the alternator.

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
Basic physics down to 22% that means he had to get 101 a/h back into the batteries in 20 mins, they may charge quicker but you have still got to replace 101 a/h where are you going to get that from with a standard alternator, to do it in the 20 min he claimed you would have to be charging at over 300 amps and that is not allowing for any losses in the charging circuit or cables.

I know one couple who have one and they love it and make similar claims - brainwashing comes to mind.
Before they had the Li battery they had a van with a couple of Gel batteries an a single either 80 or 100 w solar panel and they used to tell me they would charge both the electric bikes use the kettle & toaster off the inverter and the wife would dry her hair and the batteries were fully charged by lunchtime. They had no concept of how a Gel charges and that to get a full charge once it reaches it's charged voltage it need to stay they there for the absorption phase for at least 6 hours to be fully charged.
I know that is not that relevant I'm just trying to point out people are not aware of charging parameters of batteries and get fooled by their gauges just because it says a 100% doesn't necessarily mean it i
Not knocking the EZA it is a good product but that review is a joke. He had been off grid for weeks and he reckoned he fully charged it in a 20min drive, yer, right. He would have needed to fit a massive alternator to his van and at least a 200 amp B2B to achive that.
Hi Lenny. I didn’t say it was fully charged after running the engine. Clearly you cannot fully charge a 130AH battery in 20 mins from a van alternator. Only an idiot would assume that’s what I was saying. The fact is, I can run the engine for a short time (say 20 mins) and the battery is charged up enough to extend our use of it. Perhaps one more night (say). Then I’d have to rely on the solar or a longer drive to charge it up fully. Hope that clarifies my joke of a post.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can run the engine for a short time (say 20 mins) and the battery is charged up enough to extend our use of it. Perhaps one more night (say).
I hope you are going to take the van for a drive rather than risk wrecking the engine/CAT/DPF by running it stationary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
Hi, so if the EZA was at 50% can you just start the engine to charge it to 100%, if yes how long would it take. or would you have to drive around a bit and for how many miles?. Thanks
I think about 1.5 to 2 hours.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
This weekend mine got down to 65%.After a short journey of approx 16 miles it was back up to 91%.

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
UPDATE: now had the EZA for 6 years now. I think! All still works. I’ve not noticed any degradation although I can’t say I’ve really measured it. The app works well on a newer android tablet.

I think the EZA has moved on and there are now other cheaper lithium solutions out there.

I’m prompted to post an update as I’m sitting in the van now, off grid and was taking a look at the app data. I hope others are finding this very informative thread useful in helping them make a decision re batteries. Right- off for a dog walk and bask in the winter sun :)

OP
OP
W
Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
I think about 1.5 to 2 hours.
As Lenny said, it’s best not to sit stationary for too long to charge the battery. I don’t know how long that max time should be however. Preferably drive instead. Charges faster when driving anyway.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As Lenny said, it’s best not to sit stationary for too long to charge the battery. I don’t know how long that max time should be however. Preferably drive instead. Charges faster when driving anyway.
With a modern diesel you should drive off immediately after starting.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The idle running will cause soot to cumulate in the dpf. If soot mass exceeds a certain threshold, a regen is triggered if conditions are met for regen. One of those many conditions, is fuel quantity, 1/4 or more. If you fail a regen, because did not meet the conditions to regen, you run the risc of cumulating to much soot and will not regen over a certain quantity. That triggers no start lock in xxx miles. Same as ad blue. Now it needs special equipment, to modify the stored soot quantity values, and force a regen. A forced regen will shorten significantly the life of dpf. A normal regen does not.
So think when you idle stationary. Stop star function is your friend and dpf will live longer.
Same for when you come to a stop during a regen. The incomplete regen will want to resume on next cycle, if next cycle fails again, soot builds up. Heavy regens are heavy on fuel to, so you better use the vehicle as intended, cheaper in the long run.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
UPDATE: now had the EZA for 6 years now. I think! All still works. I’ve not noticed any degradation although I can’t say I’ve really measured it. The app works well on a newer android tablet.

I think the EZA has moved on and there are now other cheaper lithium solutions out there.

I’m prompted to post an update as I’m sitting in the van now, off grid and was taking a look at the app data. I hope others are finding this very informative thread useful in helping them make a decision re batteries. Right- off for a dog walk and bask in the winter sun :)
Still works (y) that's a bonus then, I would be worried if they didn't to be fair, I followed your initial posts and jumped into LiFePO4 when we ordered our new van so everything came bang up to date and optimised for the chemistry, we are over two years in now and I have added a couple more batteries so we are 640ah :giggle:, this allows us 5 or 6 days in winter using everything electric bar the heating so that's electric kettle, microwave, coffee machine etc etc and induction cooking outside when it's warm enough, I don't think I will going back to lead acid anytime soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back