Extra sockets /inverter? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I would like to add an extra internal 13a socket and have it connected to my inverter. The problem I have that where I want to place the socket, it is about three feet from the inverter. Where the inverter is placed at the present I have to go outto turn it off and on . I would like to be able to switch off the inverter from in side the van rarther than go out side.

if I moved the inverter so that I can switch it on and off from in the van , how far can I place it away from the batteries?

colyboy

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
What size inverter and what power draw at the socket?

The further from the battery the larger your cables between battery and inverter to compensate for resistance. Also means that more power may be needed from the battery simply to overcome that resistance.

Some inverters do have facility to remotely switch power on and off. I have a little Victron VE.Direct that on the rear a little loop can be replaced with a 12v switch. That's my next little job to do as I find somewhere to hide the inverter out of the way under one of my bench seats.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Do not move the inverter. It should be as close to the batteries as possible. It would be better to work out how to switch it remotely. For a large load, voltage drop on 230V for, say, 5 metres is negligable. Voltage drop at 12V could be insanely high. If you had a 2kW inverter, you'd be pulling 170A. That's better done with metal bus bars or insanely thick cables. They are also very difficult to protect against short circuit. For these reasons, large inverters should be mounted right next to the battery.

If it is a little 150W portable inverter, it isn't so much of an issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted a 100 amp relay with a remote switch to my inverter, relay rating depends on the size of the inverter. The remote switch switches the 100 amp relay and another small relay that is connected to the soft start on the inverter.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What is the make and model of the inverter? Quite a lot of them have a connection for a remote switch, which is definitely the way to go rather than moving the inverter.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would like to be able to switch off the inverter from in side the van rarther than go out side.

Fit one of these so it pokes through the wall of the battery cabinet.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I fitted a 100 amp relay with a remote switch to my inverter, relay rating depends on the size of the inverter. The remote switch switches the 100 amp relay and another small relay that is connected to the soft start on the inverter.
Lost me already,,BUSBY😂

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I’m with you busby all I see is
AE121233-9A78-46FB-8990-18251F8EB21D.jpeg

Ady

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
If you can get access to the switch and relative wires then you just need to mimic that switching but a bit further away, so no load on that I would guess.
Having said that, I don’t know the device you’re talking about, but it may not be as complicated as you think.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I have a small 300W inverter but the principal that I use would work with any size inverter with an appropriately specified relay.
I use a CBE 13A socket in which I fit a little microswitch that operates when the contact shield opens on insertion of a plug, this in turn operates a relay to connect the +ve 12v input to the inverter. I appreciate that this only works sensibly when supplying just one 240v socket but within that limitation it works well for me.
I've fitted and used this method successfully in at least three campers now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back