Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Maybe it's been there for ages and I've missed it, but I was surprised earlier this week to have my motorhome x-rayed at Calais Eurotunnel.

If you havent seen one either, the machine looks like a car wash and was operated by 4 armed french Customs officers (Douane).

I was directed by one officer to drive the left front wheel between two guide rails and instructed to exit the vehicle with the handbrake off and the motor still running. The motorhome was then dragged through the scanner by the mechanism, rolling off the other end with nobody at the controls. I half expected it to continue rolling into a barrier but it seems there was a gradient that meant the mh lost momentum and drifted back to the scanner.

Meanwhile I was directed to walk around the outside of the scanner (too late to do a runner now, it was all fenced in) and told to wait by a locked gate. Once the scan was complete the gate was unlocked and I could return to my vehicle.

Once back in the mh I had to wait while the scan was checked, although I saw noone actually doing anything. Maybe somebody was in a portabin checking the scan, or maybe tthe french were just testing their new toy.

Btw, if you have a pet if has to accompany you and not stay in the vehicle.

I can't see it being applied to all vehicles but it was a novelty for me.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Standard scan for various items of contraband and illegals. Used a lot on trucks. Never heard of a motorhome scanned though.... they must have been bored or simply trying to give le Rosbif a hard time

• Funny
Reactions: f6c

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Been scanned and Co2 checked 3 times whilst passing through over the years in the van, just adds another 15mins to the journey.

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Standard scan for various items of contraband and illegals. Used a lot on trucks. Never heard of a motorhome scanned though.... they must have been bored or simply trying to give le Rosbif a hard time
That makes sense, although this scanner was too small for trucks, it being used on cars, cans and me.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Maybe it's been there for ages and I've missed it, but I was surprised earlier this week to have my motorhome x-rayed at Calais Eurotunnel.

If you havent seen one either, the machine looks like a car wash and was operated by 4 armed french Customs officers (Douane).

I was directed by one officer to drive the left front wheel between two guide rails and instructed to exit the vehicle with the handbrake off and the motor still running. The motorhome was then dragged through the scanner by the mechanism, rolling off the other end with nobody at the controls. I half expected it to continue rolling into a barrier but it seems there was a gradient that meant the mh lost momentum and drifted back to the scanner.

Meanwhile I was directed to walk around the outside of the scanner (too late to do a runner now, it was all fenced in) and told to wait by a locked gate. Once the scan was complete the gate was unlocked and I could return to my vehicle.

Once back in the mh I had to wait while the scan was checked, although I saw noone actually doing anything. Maybe somebody was in a portabin checking the scan, or maybe tthe french were just testing their new toy.

Btw, if you have a pet if has to accompany you and not stay in the vehicle.

I can't see it being applied to all vehicles but it was a novelty for me.
A few years ago we were asked to go through this machine. What a laugh, the customs or whatever officers hadn’t used it before and we all ended up trying to work it out even the dog got in on the act. It never did go through it and we couldn’t wait any longer as our train was going to be called. I would have liked to see the pictures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
They have a list and now we know at least two suspects. Perhaps you both got away with it this time but they can wait

Alcemi

Free Member
Jun 17, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since July 2016
Yes, we were pulled over for X-ray in June 2019, after a lengthy debate between the officials, due to us having the dog onboard. It killed a little time doing something different whilst waiting for our train.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Been there,done that,asked the gendarme,for what reason,Contraband ,Says he.not people.
(y)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
There was a truck mounted unit that travelled between lines of Vans waiting to board at Santander last month, they moved all the folk out of the vans while they scanned with an operator in the front viewing a monitor. Any suspicious looking results and the van was searched. Never seen that before.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I will just have to keep my 4 packs of smoked bacon inside my jacket then.(y);)
I am all for this scanning system if finds illegal immigrants, and drugs, I know they do same on ship containers, but it makes you wonder how so many tonnes of the stuff still gets in, past the customs checks, inside fruit would you believe.
LES

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The first time we went through the tunnel 12 years ago, we got talking to a polish van driver while waiting, the sign came up , to go to the train, so off we went back to our van, this other driver said hold on wait till some more have gone or you will get pulled, but being new we rushed off to about third in the queue.
Lo and behold we got pulled across, all the first ones, we were clean so no worries but as we were sitting there ,this pole goes sailing by with a grin all over his face.
Anyway ever since we have never been in a hurry and keep back a bit, and have very rarely been pulled since.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Been through one once but not that type, also had a thorough search a couple of times. First time was a brand new van, searcher admitted she hadn’t seen one like that before and had wanted a look :LOL:
second time John had thoughtfully rolled up some bedding and put his bike helmet at the top, on the over about looked just like someone hiding :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: didn’t find the gallons of wine and whisky will be concerned about trying to hide it now;):cry:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We have a wee hovel in France and Elaine and I had the great idea to transport some surplus furniture from our house moves to the new abode, using my VW LT35 LWB HR van, in 2013. Great result, even used the Van as a temporary storage for the cooker whilst the Floor Tiler was putting in the new groundfloor tiles.

Couple of days before the return trip, I realised the flaw in our plans. I needed my trailer back in Scotland but the van had no towbar ... Unabashed, quick visit to BricoPro to buy trailer loading ramps, Elaine pushes the empty trailer, I'm on the inside of the van pulling the towbar, and, after several sweaty minutes, we get the trailer aboard and lash it down using the installed eyelets and load straps.

We had slept/dozed in the van cab on the outward journey and it was a wee bit cramped, so Elaine had the bright idea of installing an airbed in the load area for a decent sleep on the return trip. Fine as long as you avoid the protruding towhitch and the entanglement of loadstraps which did lend an air of the BDSM to the setup [not that we have any experience of this, you understand]. When we arrived at Dieppe late afternoon to grab a parking spot for the following day's early morning ferry, the Douaniers were searching all vans ... When the 2 Officers opened our van, their eyes popped out and there was then a walky talky summons to colleagues to coma and have a look! We could have sold tickets ...

Even better, the next day, we reached Old Tebay Services and decided to park up and grab a quick nap for an hour or so. Set alarms so that we can have a stretch of the legs and loo break within the 2 hours Free Parking period. Everybody else seemed to have the same idea, and the place was mobbed, leaving us to grab one of the last long parking bays, facing up the slope. We fell into the loading area and onto the airbed perfectly, purely by gravity. When the alarm sounded, it was a different matter. Two Teletubbies, lying head down the slope either side of the towhitch are always going to struggle, and the more we struggled, the more the van rocked ... when we eventually managed to emerge, there was a small gathering of smirking onlookers from the neighbouring vehicles ...

'Dignity, darling, dignity; just keep walking ...' :rolleyes: (y)

Steve

Meggers

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Richmond. N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Devon Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve just been through the same process at Folkstone. Fairly quick and painless.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
We were xrayed in June at Calais and they must have spotted something as they did a quick search afterwards. They checked inside around the hab entrance step which could be used to hide things and I assume as they found no signs of tampering e.g. grinding, welding etc, they let us on our way.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
They only scan the dodgy looking characters :rofl:
I probably need to change my name on here to Mr Dodgy as I’ve been through it twice! Mind you if you saw my passport photo you wouldn’t let me into your country! Last time was this summer and they confirmed they were scanning for ‘people’ as they put it. I think the folk running it were the new generation of border control, friendly, polite and apologised for having to put us through the scanner. We had a nice chat and they wished us a pleasant journey home!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back