Eurotunnel to France do I need to Quarantine (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We are wanting to travel to Spain our normal route is usually Eurotunnel to France then transit through to Spain. At the moment it appears the Brittany Ferries direct to Spain seems to be straightforward & may have to be the way to go. However we have 8 single tickets for Eurotunnel which expire in December 2021 (they have already been extended by Eurotunnel) so we would prefer to use them.
All the information I have read states that we can enter France as long as we complete a couple of forms and have a COVID test, some information states that we have to self isolate for 7 days and other info does not mention this.
We were considering going by car and driving straight through to the Spanish border as we both drive, if however we have to self isolate then we could take the van and self isolate on a pre-booked site, not sure yet how we would manage food for 7 days as lots of restrictions what we can take into France, would look into this in more detail if necessary.
Has anyone entered France over the last couple of days and do you have to self isolate & how was Border Control.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Covid-19 entry requirements​

Travel between the UK and France​

Arrivals from the UK do not need to justify an essential reason to enter France. This applies to all air, car, ferry and train passengers. All other measures, detailed below, are in place for those travelling from the UK. The French government strongly advises limiting international travel to a minimum.

Arrivals from the UK will need to complete a ‘sworn statement’ (déclaration sur l’honneur) form self-certifying they are not suffering from symptoms associated with coronavirus and have not been in contact with confirmed cases in the preceding fortnight. This can be found on the French government’s website.

Testing requirements​

All travellers from the UK, including children aged 11 and above, will need to present a negative PCR COVID-19 test result, carried out less than 72 hours before departure.

HGV or van drivers arriving in France from the UK are no longer required to provide a negative COVID-19 test to enter France. The latest information for HGV or van drivers is available here.

You should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to another country. You should arrange to take a private test from a private coronavirus testing provider.

Self-isolation​

Passengers arriving in France from the UK will also be required to self-isolate for seven days on arrival, before taking another PCR test. Exit from this self-isolation period is subject to a negative test result. Find more information on how to get a PCR test in France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

caroh

Free Member
Jul 15, 2009
Funster No
Hi. I was told by Brittany Ferries that taking a Motorhome into France at the moment is not allowed. Has anybody gone to France recently in their Motorhome? If so did they take any food, and was their Motorhome searched thoroughly at Border Control? If self isolating it would be sensible to take our own food for seven days, any comments please?
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Doesn't it all change on the 9th of June and isn't France talking about providing PCR tests FOC once you arrive ?

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Doesn't it all change on the 9th of June and isn't France talking about providing PCR tests FOC once you arrive ?
That's what I was hoping having heard this on France 24. We are booked on the tunnel that day, it's getting a bit close. I can't see how that would work though, where would it be done? If you've had both jabs, which we have, why is it necessary? I realise that you could still carry it though.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That doe not make sense to me ! Why should France provide free PCR tests after you enter their country, surely they would want to see a negative test result before allowing you entry and for you or the UK Gov to pay for the testing too.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I spoke to some one I know Saturday, and we were chatting about the fact his parents had crossed via tunnel, and driven to their holiday home in Spain with zero issues two days earlier

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Edenside
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
gus-lopez wasn’t sure if self isolate means staying in 1place and providing an address like we have to in the UK. The website does not explain what is needed and I cannot find anything that relates to transiting through. Anyone staying with friends or booked into a hotel/campsite for a holiday has an address to give at Border Control so just wondered if we would need to have a destination address in France to isolate Or can we give a Spanish address as destination.
I am hoping to hear from someone who may have had recent experience.
Brittany Ferries an alternative but I am not good on boats.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Edenside
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
I spoke to some one I know Saturday, and we were chatting about the fact his parents had crossed via tunnel, and driven to their holiday home in Spain with zero issues two days earlier
That’s interesting news, do you know if they were in a car as this is what we would prefer to do. I presume they also completed the form to say they did not have to obey the curfew and could travel during the night.

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I "think" self isolation stands at the moment, we are due to go on the 18th june via eurotunnel, i know that june the 9th is a d day of sorts maybe, whether you can "isolate" in your motorhome doesn't seem clear, least not to me anyway.
Regarding the pcr test to enter france, surely you would have to have one in the uk not more than 72 hrs before you enter france??

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
That’s interesting news, do you know if they were in a car as this is what we would prefer to do. I presume they also completed the form to say they did not have to obey the curfew and could travel during the night.
In a car, no questions, and not stopped by anyone.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just reading on another thread the cost of PCR testing before leaving Spain was costing €90 each. This could work out to be very expensive if travelling back through France then returning to the UK. More clarity needed I think and also where to get said PCR tests near Spanish border and French ferry ports.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Before or after Spain were letting us in !?

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you transit, with no stoping, then no isolation required. This was the case last time in several EU countries.
It's a hell of a drive without stopping! We wouldn't want to do it.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I presume they also completed the form to say they did not have to obey the curfew and could travel during the night.
To my knowledge the only ones who can travel during curfew are commercial vehicles that are working.
Just reading on another thread the cost of PCR testing before leaving Spain was costing €90 each.
Yes that was to enter France. But billy bonus was using same one to enter UK within the window.
Uk actually only requires the cheapest test lateral flow , to enter.

More clarity needed I think and also where to get said PCR tests near Spanish border and French ferry ports.
Just put in town you want along with prueba de covid for spanish ones. I found them in Pau ,Jaca etc. Which I would probably use if still needed to enter France & run through to use same for UK.
Having said that many places in France offer tests & many have no charge either
Before or after Spain were letting us in !?
2 days before last saturday was last thursday ; so the 20th May

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Some more info.

We may now be “free” to travel. But – whether you have already booked, or are planning to – never before has the situation looked quite so complicated. All hopes and expectations are that the fog of uncertainties will slowly lift and by July we should be in a much clearer position, with most of the key European holiday destinations promoted to the government’s green zone. But as things stand, these are the milestones which we have to pass on the road back to normality.
Beware that there may be setbacks, of course, and some of these dates are not guaranteed. And, by way of background, Greece is now open to tourism and Italy should be opening to UK visitors over the next few days. We await news about the US and Portugal.

May 17​

Opening day​

This is D-Day for foreign travel, though in practice where you can go depends not only on the green list, but which countries will let you in. At home, t’s - almost - all systems go however, with hotels re-opening and the restart of close to normal operation for pubs, restaurants and attractions in England.

May 28​

Half term​

The start of both the bank holiday weekend and half term. With most foreign holidays not feasible, this will be an exceptionally busy week on the British coast and in the National Parks. Accommodation is in short supply - so defer to later in June if you can.

May 30​

Portugal re-opens?
The “state of public calamity” on the mainland — the second highest level of alert — has been extended for a further 15 days, meaning tourists will likely be banned until at least May 30.

June 1​

Spain re-opens?​

This date hasn’t yet been confirmed - and it may even happen earlier, with May 20 now being mooted by the Spanish tourism minister. However, while travel companies and airlines say they will be operating holidays and flights when Spain does re-open, as long as it remains in the amber zone there will be complications for many travellers.

June 7​

First traffic light changes​

In the first review of the traffic light system by the Transport Secretary, Spain, Greece and Malta in particular will be hoping for a green light.

June 9​

France reopens?​

There are expectations that France will re-open to tourism today when normal service is also to resume in the nation's restaurants. There will, however, be an 11pm curfew until June 30 and France will still probably still be in the UK's amber zone.

June 21​

Freedom for the UK​

The projected end of formal Covid-19 and social distancing restrictions in the UK. It still has to be confirmed by government, but such are current confidence levels that there is a chance that this date may even be brought forward.

June 28​

Second traffic light changes​

The second review of the traffic light system is perhaps the most critical. If the key destinations are not given the green light today, then we will face another summer of last-minute chopping and changing.

July 19​

Third traffic light changes​

Will Turkey go green? It will be an achievement - it is still rated red. But today is its last chance to rescue something of its summer.

July 23​

Schools break up​

The start of what will probably be a record-breaking few weeks for UK tourism and, assuming enough traffic lights have turned green, a substantial renaissance in overseas travel.

August 9​

Fourth traffic light changes​

This announcement is too late to make a difference to the summer peak, but it may add some interesting options for September travel.

August 28-30​

Bank holiday​

This will be extremely busy in the UK.

September 1​

Schools return​

For those who aren’t tied to the school holidays, this is the start of what will probably be the best month of the year for reasonably normal travel - in Europe, at least.

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I came through the tunnel on the 19th had a pcr 2 days earlier as long as you fill in the forms correctly alls fine and dandy the British border control just asked me where I was going and I said Sisteron to see my daughter they said have a nice time and hopefully when you get back in July no quarantine. The french border control looked at my paperwork and unfortunately stamped our passports and said have a nice time no other questions were asked

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Some more info.

We may now be “free” to travel. But – whether you have already booked, or are planning to – never before has the situation looked quite so complicated. All hopes and expectations are that the fog of uncertainties will slowly lift and by July we should be in a much clearer position, with most of the key European holiday destinations promoted to the government’s green zone. But as things stand, these are the milestones which we have to pass on the road back to normality.
Beware that there may be setbacks, of course, and some of these dates are not guaranteed. And, by way of background, Greece is now open to tourism and Italy should be opening to UK visitors over the next few days. We await news about the US and Portugal.

May 17​

Opening day​

This is D-Day for foreign travel, though in practice where you can go depends not only on the green list, but which countries will let you in. At home, t’s - almost - all systems go however, with hotels re-opening and the restart of close to normal operation for pubs, restaurants and attractions in England.

May 28​

Half term​

The start of both the bank holiday weekend and half term. With most foreign holidays not feasible, this will be an exceptionally busy week on the British coast and in the National Parks. Accommodation is in short supply - so defer to later in June if you can.

May 30​

Portugal re-opens?
The “state of public calamity” on the mainland — the second highest level of alert — has been extended for a further 15 days, meaning tourists will likely be banned until at least May 30.

June 1​

Spain re-opens?​

This date hasn’t yet been confirmed - and it may even happen earlier, with May 20 now being mooted by the Spanish tourism minister. However, while travel companies and airlines say they will be operating holidays and flights when Spain does re-open, as long as it remains in the amber zone there will be complications for many travellers.

June 7​

First traffic light changes​

In the first review of the traffic light system by the Transport Secretary, Spain, Greece and Malta in particular will be hoping for a green light.

June 9​

France reopens?​

There are expectations that France will re-open to tourism today when normal service is also to resume in the nation's restaurants. There will, however, be an 11pm curfew until June 30 and France will still probably still be in the UK's amber zone.

June 21​

Freedom for the UK​

The projected end of formal Covid-19 and social distancing restrictions in the UK. It still has to be confirmed by government, but such are current confidence levels that there is a chance that this date may even be brought forward.

June 28​

Second traffic light changes​

The second review of the traffic light system is perhaps the most critical. If the key destinations are not given the green light today, then we will face another summer of last-minute chopping and changing.

July 19​

Third traffic light changes​

Will Turkey go green? It will be an achievement - it is still rated red. But today is its last chance to rescue something of its summer.

July 23​

Schools break up​

The start of what will probably be a record-breaking few weeks for UK tourism and, assuming enough traffic lights have turned green, a substantial renaissance in overseas travel.

August 9​

Fourth traffic light changes​

This announcement is too late to make a difference to the summer peak, but it may add some interesting options for September travel.

August 28-30​

Bank holiday​

This will be extremely busy in the UK.

September 1​

Schools return​

For those who aren’t tied to the school holidays, this is the start of what will probably be the best month of the year for reasonably normal travel - in Europe, at least.

That's well out of date. Portugal opened last week. Spain is open from today although you could get in before

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I came through the tunnel on the 19th had a pcr 2 days earlier as long as you fill in the forms correctly alls fine and dandy the British border control just asked me where I was going and I said Sisteron to see my daughter they said have a nice time and hopefully when you get back in July no quarantine. The french border control looked at my paperwork and unfortunately stamped our passports and said have a nice time no other questions were asked
That's how i would expect it to be.

Upvote 0

ian_provo

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Premium 640
Exp
Surely one would have to stop to refuel. How would that work??

Upvote 0

caroh

Free Member
Jul 15, 2009
Funster No
What are people doing about their travel insurance, as while France is amber, I thought that insurance is not valid.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back