Eurotunnel new booking system (1 Viewer)

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
I see at last Euro Tunnel have now changed their booking system
Now want more detail on length of MH and trailer
So It looks like even more expensive for big MH and trailers

As my booking is the same but thats for a small motorbike trailer and up to 8 mt mh

GB

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just had to have a look and you’re dead right.

We have a FT package but I haven’t looked to see if there’s any difference in price for that.

Richard.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I just had a quick look at the Eurotunnel site and, as you say, they have changed things round quite a bit. I used to like the 'old' system as it was very simple to book.

As far as I can see the prices are the same though.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I just had a quick look at the Eurotunnel site and, as you say, they have changed things round quite a bit. I used to like the 'old' system as it was very simple to book.

As far as I can see the prices are the same though.

Paul
Perhaps they just want to calculate how much space is left after each booking.
It makes sense for them to have an idea of length.

Richard.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Perhaps they just want to calculate how much space is left after each booking.
It makes sense for them to have an idea of length.

Richard.

Maybe thats it, the old system when you just specified 'campervan' didn't tell them much.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I note that the old “cut off point” for small m/hs was less than 6m. We are 5.999m

It is now 5.5m. More cost.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
"Campervans" are all around 5m in length.
Even a 17 seater LWB minibus is only 6.7m long

Whereas "Motorhomes" start at 5.5m in length.
7m is typical and up to 10m is not unusual, which is the length of two 'Campervans'

All that is before you add stuff on the back!

Given that EuroStar (and the ferries) main limitation is length, it's not surprising that they charge a premium for every meter (or part thereof) over 5.99m

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
There doesn’t seem to be a difference in price for a bigger motorhome - it’s pretty much what I’d expect to pay. I guess it’s changed in order to manage the loading more accurately.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've just booked ready for our Winter sojourn - price was exactly same as last time, given I always book at least 4 weeks in advance, more if I can confirm our plans.

Incidentally I booked using Tesco vouchers and you have to call them - but the questions were identical to the website booking form, including van length (which has to include bike racks etc.)

Has anybody experimented with sizes to see if there are different prices for different lengths?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just checked and it is the same price for our 'over 8 metre' van

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I was half way down the que waiting to board at the euro-tunnel Calais on Saturday morning, in front was a coach and several vans and camper vans.

I was then called from behind all the smaller vehicles and loaded on behind the coach at the head of the train, this has never happened to me before so I suspect it is more about managing the space more efficiently rather than cost of tkts.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I was half way down the que waiting to board at the euro-tunnel Calais on Saturday morning, in front was a coach and several vans and camper vans.

I was then called from behind all the smaller vehicles and loaded on behind the coach at the head of the train, this has never happened to me before so I suspect it is more about managing the space more efficiently rather than cost of tkts.
That has happened to us in the past too.
We are 7.5m so I assumed they were making the best of the available space in one compartment.
It must make sense for them to know if they will have to load 10 PVC’s or 10 Concorde’s.

Richard.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Every time I have booked they require dimensions, a few years ago virtually every trip I made we had a carriage to ourselves just lately they put a car behind me so as people say it's just being efficient and thus more profit ,so no problem.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I booked our return yesterday as you say website requires more info including reg no maybe something to do with bxxxxxt

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry but there seems to be some confusion here. Eurotunnel class all campervans and motorhomes as "campervans" no matter what length they are. I have never seen any other category than campervan.

I suspect that they now want to know the length so as to get a better idea of capacity. I have just checked their website and the frequent traveller supplement for a campervan remains the same at £12, with no mention of any different rates for different lengths or any other categories.

Jun 25, 2016
Ynys Môn, UK
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
When I crossed a couple of years ago on a motorbike I had a carriage to myself one way and shared with another bike on the return, this was in August!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A few months ago whilst using the tunnel we were asked, by an employee, what length we were, and at loading got moved ahead of some other vehicles. Makes sense when you think about it.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I haven't used the Tunnel but if in the past they were loading with no prior knowledge of length and were not segregating to match available space they must have been running a pretty inefficient operation?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My C class 4 berth is 4,6m:nod:

Why tow a smart car when you could simply add the accommodation section !

1574179922210.png

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I haven't used the Tunnel but if in the past they were loading with no prior knowledge of length and were not segregating to match available space they must have been running a pretty inefficient operation?
I think you should try it before criticising them. They are not the same as a wide roro ship with lots of lanes to laod in. They effectively have lots of small holds in a line each sealed by fire doors. They can only load through one place and in a long line, so they can only ever load in the order that people turn up at the gate and they have a lot less time than the ships do to do it. In addition they do not have the same diversity of loading in that all the large freight is segregated onto dedicated open carriage trains, and everything else go in closed carriage trains. And it is further segregated by height. Anything less than about 1.8m high go in double deck coaches while the rest of us (motorhomes, vans, campervans, coaches and large 4X4s) all go in the single decker carriages, They do sometimes pull larger or smaller rigs out of the line to try to fit in places, but by the very nature of the process they can only do that occasionally in the time they have got.

Having said that they are pretty good at squeezing us all in, and if there are a few places left they usually call forward a few from the queue waiting for the next train

Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
I am going to risk my neck here!

Surely the price to take a vehicle of any description onto a ferry must be gauged by the vehicles size and weight If there is any other sensible and fair system, I really can not think of it

Therefore anyone with a large vehicle can regret the new booking system, but they should not grumble too much about it?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
...... so they can only ever load in the order that people turn up at the gate ........

Not at all. You are directed into different lanes that are marshalled; they have control.

That‘s not to say that, occasionally, they may not pull someone ahead to fill a gap.

Ian

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We were in a compartment last time on the way back and there was just us and a sprinter van in the compartment. The guard pulled me right up to the van, and we were just a few inches behind the sprinters rear doors. The sprinter driver got out and tried to open his rear door but couldn't so I reversed back a couple of feet as there was plenty of room. The guard walked past and earached me for moving back as a safety hazard,. Apparrantly they park close to prevent anyone walking in between, if the train stopped suddenly anyone caught berween vehicles would be seriously injured.
Lesson learned.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think you should try it before criticising them. They are not the same as a wide roro ship with lots of lanes to laod in. They effectively have lots of small holds in a line each sealed by fire doors. They can only load through one place and in a long line, so they can only ever load in the order that people turn up at the gate and they have a lot less time than the ships do to do it. In addition they do not have the same diversity of loading in that all the large freight is segregated onto dedicated open carriage trains, and everything else go in closed carriage trains. And it is further segregated by height. Anything less than about 1.8m high go in double deck coaches while the rest of us (motorhomes, vans, campervans, coaches and large 4X4s) all go in the single decker carriages, They do sometimes pull larger or smaller rigs out of the line to try to fit in places, but by the very nature of the process they can only do that occasionally in the time they have got.

Having said that they are pretty good at squeezing us all in, and if there are a few places left they usually call forward a few from the queue waiting for the next train
It was a question more than a criticism mostly because I don't have first hand knowledge. As you say what they can & can't do is mostly dictated by time constraints - in much the same way as the ferries.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not at all. You are directed into different lanes that are marshalled; they have control.

That‘s not to say that, occasionally, they may not pull someone ahead to fill a gap.

Ian
I use the tunnel often and you are allocated a lane based upon what train you are booked on and what type of vehicle you are. They tend to put the coaches together but they do not allocate by length. I also think they keep the frequent travellers together and load them earlier. Once a lane is opened for boarding the green light goes on and the gate opens and away we all go in the order we arrived in the lane. They empty each lane in turn.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back