Eurotunnel delayed crossings due to Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Does anyone feel aggreived by the fact that as we have to cancel our travel plans we can only rebook travel within 12 months of the date the original booking was made not 12 months of actual travel dates. I would have thought it not unreasonable for this to be extended to 12 months of actual travel or 18 to 24 months of date booking made. We will probably have to lose our booking.

Sep 22, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
since 1985
We’ve just rebooked then when this isn’t over we’ll rebook again for however long it takes, absolutely no intention off giving them our money.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
How many times are you aloud to rebook and is there a charge. I have an hotel booking for late April via booking ,com. All I have done is rebook (without fees or charges) for 6months time. I will then rebook again to a more convenient date once this is all over. That way I don't loose my money. This was all done on the advise of Booking.com.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
How many times are you aloud to rebook and is there a charge. I have an hotel booking for late April via booking ,com. All I have done is rebook (without fees or charges) for 6months time. I will then rebook again to a more convenient date once this is all over. That way I don't loose my money. This was all done on the advise of Booking.com.
That is ridiculous. The Italian ferry company GNV gave us the rest of this year and 6 months in to next year to re-arrange our plans.
Corsica ferries tried to do the same but then gave us our money back.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
You can make as many booking changes online as you wish up to the expiry date.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Eurotunnel expiry date is 12 months from purchase !, so far will not/ have not budged !!,
I bought mine in January 2020 , so unless things drastically alter no choice but lose my money .

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Same here we booked early Feb so have only until Feb 2021 to complete the 2 way crossing. I thought it would be a worthy case for the clubs to support us campers and all motorists. This is an unusual situation after all. Quite happy to rebook but when I want not there and back by Feb.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
How many of you have contacted Eurotunnel via their webpage contact form?

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Dont expect any compassion from Eurotunnel !.............

They are a callous company who are only interested in MONEY. They take advantage of peoples woes (last minute ticket changes due to circumstances that cant be controlled) and batter you for extra money so that they can make up for loss of earnings due to empty trains.

ffi and I were on the way back from Spain this year. Last couple of days of the journey were a FRANTIC dash up to Calais to try and avoid storm Denis
Got to the check-in 24 hours early so that we could try and get to the safety of Black Horse Farm for a couple of days whilst it passed. Check in guy was great...... "can see what you're towing and fully understand but let me check the desk"
Bint on the phone was having NON OF IT and charged us an extra £200. We weren't there to take the mickey, we were there for safety reasons but no, they're not in the slightest bit interested, they just want money !Broken Link Removed Got on the train - 13 empty carriages!
Sent an e-mail when we got back home but just got a polite "sod off".

Would I use Eurotunnel again? Course I would.Broken Link Removed
Would I ever trust them again? NEVER.Broken Link Removed

No morals and no compassion what so ever. Lesson learned. We SHOULD have reversed back to Pet Passport and put the legs down till the strom blew through.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Thanks to a post on this forum we got our Tesco voucher value refunded and as we had to pay extra for the hound (not covered by club card) I cancelled the crossing via Tesco club card then rang up euro tunnel and got a refund for hound as she won't be travelling on her own! Had a very interesting conversation with their agent which was that if you cancel the booking and ask for a refund they will bend over backwards to keep your custom and was offered an open date return voucher valid indefinitely, I think that they are realising that if they remain intractable then they are going to lose loads of customers don't use the web page use the telephone number and swallow the 7p a min cost it may pay dividends . We were less than 5 mins on the phone

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
Thanks to a post on this forum we got our Tesco voucher value refunded and as we had to pay extra for the hound (not covered by club card) I cancelled the crossing via Tesco club card then rang up euro tunnel and got a refund for hound as she won't be travelling on her own! Had a very interesting conversation with their agent which was that if you cancel the booking and ask for a refund they will bend over backwards to keep your custom and was offered an open date return voucher valid indefinitely, I think that they are realising that if they remain intractable then they are going to lose loads of customers don't use the web page use the telephone number and swallow the 7p a min cost it may pay dividends . We were less than 5 mins on the phone
AC/DC Please would explain how to cancel via Tesco Clubcard (I can find no way on the Tesco website to cancel vouchers that have been spent) or indicate the post you saw on this Forum. Many thanks.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we had no problem altering out booking from Calais last week even though we were a month early only cost us £21 as it was a better time .

We had to cancel our flights to the Philippines on written recommendation from the DR because of me having cancer treatment last year . KLM have honoured my flight but not the wife's . as i am the one with cancer not her £800 gone .....
insurance are saying the corona virus was a known illness since before November last year and will only cover those that took out insurance before then , we took our yearly policy in February 2020 ...

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
One thing to consider is if you already have some bookings but moved way into the future is to change them to Car bookings and non peak-time get back the 12 each Motorhome surcharge. Every little helps.

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
One thing to consider is if you already have some bookings but moved way into the future is to change them to Car bookings and non peak-time get back the 12 each Motorhome surcharge. Every little helps.

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
I have just contacted Tesco and have had same positive response. Well done Tesco at least I'll have something back. They are amazed that Eurotunnel won't even extend the rebook to cover next year season.

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
Thanks AC/DC & Sabina for your earlier advice.
I have been credited back with the 7000 Tesco points I had used to book my Eurotunnel. However I notice that, almost 4 weeks later, my Eurotunnel account still shows I have a valid booking that is paid for. Did you find the same? and what did you do?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
we had no problem altering out booking from Calais last week even though we were a month early only cost us £21 as it was a better time .

We had to cancel our flights to the Philippines on written recommendation from the DR because of me having cancer treatment last year . KLM have honoured my flight but not the wife's . as i am the one with cancer not her £800 gone .....
insurance are saying the corona virus was a known illness since before November last year and will only cover those that took out insurance before then , we took our yearly policy in February 2020 ...
I would recheck that, if you see the nationwide travel insurance as an example they are stating that any policies taken out after March 23 do not include for corona virus. Maybe worth contacting the insurance ombudsman.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
We have the same problem, for now we have moved the crossings as far fwd as possible, their website let us even move one from last week that we should have traveled but could not. Also as others say change to car (save £12) remove pet (save £18) I get the feeling we will be able to keep moving fwd three months at a time, perhaps I'm an optimist ?

LiquidLunch

Free Member
Apr 28, 2014
Prestatyn
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Long time!
I cancelled my booking via Tesco and they refunded the points, a few days later I telephoned the Tunnel and told them and asked them for a refund for the dog which they refunded no questions asked, but they did say the booking was still live and asked if I definitely wasn't going.

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Result. Had an e mail from Eurotunnel last week after I completed their online complaint form. As a good will gesture they have extended my booking deadline to April 2021 and travel can be for any time after that. I also had my Tesco points refunded so will only have about £70 to use up on my next booking

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Result. Had an e mail from Eurotunnel last week after I completed their online complaint form. As a good will gesture they have extended my booking deadline to April 2021 and travel can be for any time after that. I also had my Tesco points refunded so will only have about £70 to use up on my next booking
Just got same result from Euro tunnel, very pleased with that but sad I and many others can't travel at moment.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I got similar result after sending in a complaint, they have refunded £ 80 for 2 dogs ticket , & given me a £225 credit for the tesco points which I can book by april 2021 & use any time during 2021.
I think a fair result , Thank you Eurotunnel !!

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Didn’t complain just sent them an email. Extended our wallet by 12 months until August 2021. Happy with that !

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I contacted them
I know that the ticket runs out 12 months from date of purchase , but in the current situation ( uk government stopping all travel ) . If this situation continues till the end of the year ,will Eurotunnel make a nice jesture and extend the expiry date (for say,an extra 6 months) as this is not of our making or yours .

There reply
have noted that you are unable to travel on your booked Eurotunnel ticket and confirm that our usual flexible conditions apply to your reservation. Your ticket is valid for return travel within 12 months from the date of booking (7th February 2021). You will need to amend your ticket before your booked travel date (9th June 2020) to stop it from expiring. There will be no admin fees for changing your ticket but you will need to pay the difference if your new ticket is at a higher price.

You can keep an eye on our latest travel page online at Link Removed.eurotunnel.com/covid19 for information about our service.

It does not appear that you purchased travel insurance through us (please let me know if this is incorrect) and in view of the flexibility your ticket offers, I regret that I am unable to comply with your refund request.

Should you wish to cancel the booking with no refund as per the terms and conditions, we can provide a letter of cancellation to assist with any insurance claim you may wish to make. However, it would be necessary for you to check if this is covered by your insurance provider.

I then replied by complaint form
I wrote to your company , requesting a increase to the 12 month use of ticket or possible refund .
plus a copy of there reply
&
Not happy with this !!!
I at least expected (in the present circumstances with covid 19) an extension of 6 months or the offer of a refund
They then & only then offered the £80 refund of dog ticket & £225 credit to be booked before april 2021 , on a ticket some time next year

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back