Enough to put the thieving ****s off? (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Someone posted on the village Facebook page about their van being stolen in the night.

With that in mind I’ve come up with a couple of quick things to hopefully act as a deterrent if they have a look at my van with their thieving eyes.

A bit of a bike chain. I’ve cut the plastic away so one end can be looped and locked around the door and the other looped and locked around the steering wheel.

60471F51-C5FA-44C4-86DD-6036AB963233.jpeg

I’ve put this battery powered alarmed padlock around the gear stick. The van is in reverse and the nose is pointing out. To get it off the drive they will have to get it it neutral or a forward gear and the movement will set off the alarm. And it is LOUD.

FBED41C6-776A-455A-A2EA-BA440CED873C.jpeg

Also got this steering wheel lock. It was less than a tenner from the village petrol station but it’s decent enough.

3001A315-5630-4D7B-8521-E66D149F641A.jpeg

All three things are easily broken, with say, a good pair of bolt cutters or a grinder. But hopefully it’s enough to put them off trying. Hopefully they will think another van would be easier.

Stay safe.

Jack.

🔐 🔒 🚨 🔐 🔒

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Better still add a hidden kill switch that isolates the low pressure diesel pump

That’s a bit technical for my pea brain and I’ve just done this quick with stuff I had laying about in the shed. Seriously thinking about a heavy duty wheel clamp.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I'm thinking of attaching a short chain to the top bolt of the door pocket on one end. and a seat belt buckle to the other, so that it can be pushed into the seat belt female bit. The chain to be as tight as poss. Only trouble is, I threw away the spare seat belt accessories I had kept for years, when I last cleaned the garage out! Still working on this thought!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I'm thinking of attaching a short chain to the top bolt of the door pocket on one end. and a seat belt buckle to the other, so that it can be pushed into the seat belt female bit. The chain to be as tight as poss. Only trouble is, I threw away the spare seat belt accessories I had kept for years, when I last cleaned the garage out! Still working on this thought!

Should be cheap enough at a breakers or eBay?

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
I hope so. i take my steering wheel in my house.::bigsmile:
One of my customers had a removable steering wheel on his car. This worked well until the night his front door was kicked in and his wife knocked about until she handed the wheel to the scumbags . Traumatised the poor woman so much they very soon sold the house and moved.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
One of my customers had a removable steering wheel on his car. This worked well until the night his front door was kicked in and his wife knocked about until she handed the wheel to the scumbags . Traumatised the poor woman so much they very soon sold the house and moved.

That's disgusting. Why can't these people work for a living like the rest of us have to?! :mad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no vehicle, no matter how valuable is worth getting killed for. Its only metal and plastic and can be replaced using insurance money

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Get a pair of luggage ratchet straps form the £1 shop I have used them as tow straps and never busted them.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yup that should slow them down by about 30 secs to a minute (y)

I am not trying to be sarcastic. But none of those things are going to do much at all to stop them.

Far better to fit a decent quality set of deadlocks, some form of immobiliser independent of the manufacturers, a tracker and if feasable a high quality alarm like VanBitz fit.

Deadlocks are my preferred deterrent as it not only makes it hard to steal it makes the van unsellable without major work to fix the door after they remove the lock.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Someone posted on the village Facebook page about their van being stolen in the night.

With that in mind I’ve come up with a couple of quick things to hopefully act as a deterrent if they have a look at my van with their thieving eyes.

A bit of a bike chain. I’ve cut the plastic away so one end can be looped and locked around the door and the other looped and locked around the steering wheel.

View attachment 404192

I’ve put this battery powered alarmed padlock around the gear stick. The van is in reverse and the nose is pointing out. To get it off the drive they will have to get it it neutral or a forward gear and the movement will set off the alarm. And it is LOUD.

View attachment 404195

Also got this steering wheel lock. It was less than a tenner from the village petrol station but it’s decent enough.

View attachment 404201

All three things are easily broken, with say, a good pair of bolt cutters or a grinder. But hopefully it’s enough to put them off trying. Hopefully they will think another van would be easier.

Stay safe.

Jack.

🔐 🔒 🚨 🔐 🔒
You could have had the skip placed in front also.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Yup that should slow them down by about 30 secs to a minute (y)

I am not trying to be sarcastic. But none of those things are going to do much at all to stop them.

Far better to fit a decent quality set of deadlocks, some form of immobiliser independent of the manufacturers, a tracker and if feasable a high quality alarm like VanBitz fit.

Deadlocks are my preferred deterrent as it not only makes it hard to steal it makes the van unsellable without major work to fix the door after they remove the lock.

I mentioned one of them in my original post. ;)

The back doors have dead locks - that was how the van was sold to me. I should get them installed in the front doors too. But this was just a quick reaction and using stuff I had laying about. It's a better deterrent on the van than in the shed that's for sure.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I mentioned one of them in my original post. ;)

The back doors have dead locks - that was how the van was sold to me. I should get them installed in the front doors too. But this was just a quick reaction and using stuff I had laying about. It's a better deterrent on the van than in the shed that's for sure.

At the end of the day all our vans have glass and plastic windows. If they are determined you've got no chance.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Most security devices are quickly defeated by professionals etc.
However, the main thing is that they do not reduce crime, they displace it to someone else!

I have , tracker and immobiliser, window alarms , disklock , elefant hab blocker plate and external shield plates for the door locks.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

I use one of these to cancel the beeper when I'm manoevering at home or looking for pitches on a site, could that do the trick?

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I’m lucky as I have a drive with walls on three sides, the MH slips in with only a few inches each side, one side wall tapers down on the drivers side so all doors and windows can’t be accessed even if unlocked except the drivers door, that has a deadlock, the walls are set into a bank. I then turn the steering hard left and set the steering lock, so it can’t be rolled off the drive, then I fit a good quality crook lock and a bulldog wheel clamp and park my works van and my 4x4 in front of the MH.

I also have Autowatch Ghost 2 installed.

Security cameras cover the front of the house and once the house alarm is set a beam across the drive turns on lights and alerts my phone and iPad etc if someone crosses onto my property.

But better still, I live at the top of a cul-de-sac, and at the bottom of the road two other houses have better MH’s on their drives and little or no security.

If you can steal mine, then fair play you’ve earned it

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
We will have a disklok, proplates or deadlocks and will be fitting a kill switch and cat1 alarm with magnetic window, door and locker sensors by the time I've done it all. Also looking at the Oxford Patriot seat for swivel when I can work out if it will fit ours.

Not upto the spec of a growler but will give them something to think about and maybe tempt scrotes to look elsewhere.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Nothing can beat an alarm and tracker.

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
No self respecting thief will go for that, far too much dust on that door handle. ;)

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
No self respecting thief will go for that, far too much dust on that door handle. ;)

I don’t mind if that’s what puts them off! 😂

I don’t / can’t use that door. It’s parked up against a fence while I’m doing my conversion. 👍

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
I park my car across the front of van at an angle so they would have to move it backwards and forwards to get van onto road, car oldish no fancy key that can be hacked . Fingers crossed !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back