Free Member
Apr 24, 2021
Sleaford, UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbui
Exp
Since 2019
I have finally taken delivery of our Swift Escape with the Fiat 140 engine to latest emissions spec with auto box
Has anyone updated the 140 to at least the 160 spec, is it possible, is it straightforward, is it expensive
Unfortunately the 140 was the only option when ordering which was a blow but heyho
As I tow with it I could do with a little more umph although to be fair it’s better than I was expecting

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
May be a good idea to let it get “run in” before you decide. It will loosen up after 20000 miles or so. You may not need to do anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Should be able to get it turned.

Cheers James

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I wouldn’t do any re mapping till your warranty is over,, also as Podney says, it will loosen up after after a while,,,be patient 👍👍👍

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
A remap will take it to about 160 equalivent, force less money, but as you are in warranty, that would be a problem, if you told them also technically you also need to inform dvla, as your v5 needs to be altered. I have had 2 Van's, peugeot and citreon remapped, less fuel used and more power, but one kept having problems with egr. Imo keep can for 12 months, if still not like then see if you can trade in for an upgraded, that may cost less then new engine and gearbox, given the values at the moment.

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
You can also have the EGR valve disconnected during a remap,,,much better👍

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Not if you have a warranty though, and before anyone says about the EGR valve, it’s not checked on MOT, just another manufacturing oddity to comply with emission.👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Excaliber

Excaliber

Free Member
Apr 24, 2021
Sleaford, UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbui
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the replies if I was to upgrade I was hoping it was possible through a Fiat franchise so as not to invalidate the warranty
I’ll keep all options open it’s not on my immediate too do list

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Give it time, our current 150 was very sluggish at first started running a lot better after 4,000 miles and really well after 10,000 miles.

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Slightly different because I have the 130bhp motor.

I had it remapped with only 250 miles on the clock, it's now 4.5 years old with 18.5k miles and I've not had any issues. It was done by Quantum at one of the Warner shows and took the motor to 158bhp (so they claimed). It has been excellent and a great purchase.

I've had it serviced @ a Fiat Proffesional garage and it's also been back to the garage for a couple of recalls, again no issues.

I recently did 477 miles around the SW300 and averaged 32mpg.

I can't think of a negative.

Terry

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Er, EGR???
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation which is part of the system for reducing Nitrous Oxide emissions. It is used by manufacturers to achieve the the Euro 5 and 6 ratings. Basically if it is disabled the engine churns out more pollutants.
Not if you have a warranty though, and before anyone says about the EGR valve, it’s not checked on MOT, just another manufacturing oddity to comply with emission.👍
It may not be checked at an MOT, I don’t know. I guess some people think their improved performance is more important than controlling emissions.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation which is part of the system for reducing Nitrous Oxide emissions. It is used by manufacturers to achieve the the Euro 5 and 6 ratings. Basically if it is disabled the engine churns out more pollutants.

It may not be checked at an MOT, I don’t know. I guess some people think their improved performance is more important than controlling emissions.
An engine does not need or even like an egr and runs much better without it. My youngest buffoon a marine engineer isolates them from customers engines all the time.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
An engine does not need or even like an egr and runs much better without it. My youngest buffoon a marine engineer isolates them from customers engines all the time.
I don’t doubt it but EGR reduces emissions and I think that is more important than performance. Just my opinion, it is obvious that not everyone shares it.

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
EGR valves are a waste of time, the difference in emissions is negligible, it has a detrimental effect on your engine,decreases mpg, it does increase bhp and torque which is exactly what you need trying to get a 4 ton lump moving uphill,,on a motorhome you would not notice anything top end,,but there again who needs it,,(y)(y)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
EGR valves are a waste of time, the difference in emissions is negligible, it has a detrimental effect on your engine,decreases mpg, it does increase bhp and torque which is exactly what you need trying to get a 4 ton lump moving uphill,,on a motorhome you would not notice anything top end,,but there again who needs it,,(y)(y)
I read that with 2.5% EGR the NOX reduction is 12.5% and with 10% EGR the reduction is 30%. I have no idea what EGR rates are used in my engine but these % reductions look worthwhile to me.

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
That maybe so, or not, the manufacturers have been manipulating these figures for sales for years,hence the big Germans emission debacle involving the big four, the EGR valve has been proven to have a detrimental effect on the engine, the manufacturers know this hence the easy application of closing it off via computer, I do see your point about the emissions but the true figures just don’t add up.The only reason the EGR valve exists is to enable the Manufacturers to enter certain brackets for sales purposes,and look great on paper,when they really couldn’t care less.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I agree with you about the manufacturers manipulating the figures for sales purposes. The emissions debacle has lead to changes in the testing procedure which in turn means manufacturers like Fiat have had to use AdBlue and smart alternators to meet Euro 6 standards. I think they were all conning the public but VW got the prize for the most blatant con. EGR still seems to be a component in reducing NOX emissions with the AdBlue systems and I doubt that much research is going into changing this with the end of ICEs on the horizon.

If the NOX emissions in cities don’t drop to acceptable levels I fear all our diesels will get banned from them and banning leisure/non essential journeys could be the next target.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
We have a '16 150, it pulls like a train uphill and returns over 30mpg, as others have said I would let it run in first.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I don’t doubt it but EGR reduces emissions and I think that is more important than performance. Just my opinion, it is obvious that not everyone shares it.
And an engine with a disabled EGR probably no longer complies with Low Emission Zone requirements.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
My 2016 Euro 5 150bhp that has now done 18K has returned an average of 33.75 over the past year since I acquired it. Long bits of motorway have helped but generally, even with pottering around local lanes etc, it stays above 30mpg if I don't charge up Porlock Hill too often.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back