Emergency return, dog needs wormed (1 Viewer)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So currently we are just below Lyon heading to Spain when we get some bad news about the mother in law being admitted to hospital with a suspected bleed in the brain so I am arranging for my wife to fly back to Ireland in the next few hours with me and the dog doing a u turn back to the tunnel so I have looked at Google maps and the route back will be Lyon >> Dijon >> Reims >> Arras >> Calais
So where can I get our dog wormed in a hurry ??? So I can get back to the UK

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Neufchâtel en Bray has a Vet and there is an Aire at Mesniers en Bray. The Vet in Neufchâtel has an email address and also they speak English. You need a health check for the dog and worming and it has to be done longer than 24h before departure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
So very sorry to hear your news. Just checked the vets map and there is a vet in Beaune which is on your route and just short of Dijon

Clinique Veterinaire des Amandier
167 Route de Dijon
Beaune 21200

03 80 22 63 44

open 8.30 til 12 and 2pm til 7

Can park outside and they do speak English

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all the help and sorry for the late replies,as it's been a hektik day.
Elaine has just landed back at home , but unfortunately to late to say good bye to her mum Helen who sadly pasted away shortly after the bleed in her brain.
I have been in that much of a panicas well to get back home that I have been driving from Lyon as much as I could that I am only checking this now and forgot that it needed to be 24hrs to 5 days before re entry to the uk
So I'm off to bed and when I get up straight to the first vets Google takes me to so I can get the ball rolling as I'm just 3-4 hrs from calais now

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Easily said, but try and take a deep breath sort things out and don't rush to get back, Elaine will definitely welcome your support, but needs you there in one piece and capable of helping when you arrive

You will not now be able to cross until Friday, but the earlier you get to a vets tomorrow the earlier you can cross on Friday

Take care of yourself

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Easily said, but try and take a deep breath sort things out and don't rush to get back, Elaine will definitely welcome your support, but needs you there in one piece and capable of helping when you arrive

You will not now be able to cross until Friday, but the earlier you get to a vets tomorrow the earlier you can cross on Friday

Take care of yourself
Good advice.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all , I Forgot to ask apart from the vet giving the dog her worming tablets, what else must I make sure he does? Do they have to sign & stamp her pet passport as well ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes the passport is really important, where exactly are you tonight, lets try and find a vet someone has used who we know speaks english and has done a passport check

but do refer to the map on the link higher up, this is member recommended vets (y)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

Yes the passport is really important, where exactly are you tonight, lets try and find a vet someone has used who we know speaks english and has done a passport check

but do refer to the map on the link higher up, this is member recommended vets (y)
Using the map linked above I have found one 30 mins away so I'll be there when they open their doors in the morning

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you happen to have any worm tablets with you take your own its usually quite a bit cheaper and drive safe. Might be best to try and have a quiet day as it will be busy when you get back not easy to think of yet but promise yourselves you will have the trip another time

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Condolences.....

You can’t get there any quicker so take care and drive safely, head all over the place, get there in one piece and be of better use when you get home... the wife knows you’ll do your best...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I just use Google maps these days. Open Google maps, either centered where you are or where you want to find a vet and in the search bar enter "veterinary" or "veterinarian" either seem to work.

All the vets in the area will appear, like this:

Screenshot_20180920-082211.png

In the screenshot above we are under the blue blob. :)

The reviews are worth looking at as you may find some in English which may give you an idea if English is spoken there as reviewers tend to mention this.

In my experience the receptionist may not speak much English but the vet will - but we may just have been lucky. :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother in law and can understand your panic.
But you can't get on a ferry any earlier than tomorrow so deep breaths.
Find the vet and show them the passport. They nearly always have someone who speaks and understand English. Show them the passport and tell them you need the dog worming for Britain. ( if receptionist doesn't speak English show pet passport and say pour le chien, nous allons en Angleterre demain) The vet will scan your dog so notice where the scanner beeps for the chip.
Check the vet stamps and signs the passport and that the date and time are correct.
The dog only needs sworn tablet at the vet and a quick check over, nothing else.
At the ferry present the pet passport, they hand you the chip reader, run it over your dogs neck and shoulders. When it beeps hand it over to the clerk and that's it. They'll print out a tick sheet and complete it and you're through.
Safe journey, take it steady. My condolences to your wife and yourself.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wouldn't worry about whether the vet speaks english the dog won't! just show the passeport especialy if in a hurry just use the nearest

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Sorry I can't help with the doggy part of this but just wanted to offer our condolences to your family for the loss of your mother in law.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I too feel so sorry for you both on the sudden loss. May she rest in peace.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks all , I Forgot to ask apart from the vet giving the dog her worming tablets, what else must I make sure he does? Do they have to sign & stamp her pet passport as well ?

So sorry to hear of the loss of your M-in-law. Sincere condolences.

The passport needs to be dated & with the time, signed with vets college number & stamped

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Terrible news at the best of times but to learn that your mother is dangerously ill while you are in a foreign country must have been a nightmare. So sorry to hear of her passing, Trevor. Please give our condolences to Elaine and we wish you a safe journey home.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hope you got sorted smoothly today, tucked up ready for return crossing tomorrow?

Have you modified the booking? If you can I would say do it before arrival at the check in, unless you are using Eurotunnel who seem very good at sorting things on the arrival machines

Don't go past the pet check section, if on the tunnel it is off to the right before you go through check in

then safe drive home, at least you will have missed the gales (y)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks all for the help and condolences, me and Rubi ( the Shitzu) are currently in the waiting room at the vets.
You will have to wait 24 hrs before you can check in at the tunnel as that, as far as Defra are concerned is your arrival in the UK. I know from experience that the tunnel staff are extremely keen on the passport being filled in properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back