Emergency retrieval of wind out awning in strong wind; a suggested aid (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
My offering for an emergency controlled recovery of a wind out awning. Cheap, lightweight, quick to deploy and easy to create and install.

Ingredients; one 5m cam buckle tie down strap, one length of same width webbing strap ideally 10m, x2 carabiner D-ring wire gate 80mm, x2 T-track bolt 6M thread , x2 lifting loop 6M female stainless, x2 6M stainless washers, one wire coat hanger.

Construction; undo the end caps from the awning rail and insert T-track bolts securing them with the lifting loop and washer ensuring they don’t snag the awning arms when fully wound in. Take the tie down strap and tie to make a loop at the free end. Make a loop at one end of the length of webbing. Attach a carabiner to each loop. With the wire coat hanger make a gently curved length about 30 cm then make a 2m hook at one end a bend on the other to give control handling it.

Deployment; (hopefully you have storm tie downs but this should work anyway without). Attach the carabiners to the installed loops at each end of the rail with the cam buckle strap at the front. Loop the straps around the spokes of the respective wheels with the coat hanger tool and thread the strap from the back through the cam buckle and pull to take up all the slack. You now have a degree of control and can wind in the awning while pulling in your new straps and loosening the tie downs incrementally. A helping hand would be very useful. Don’t forget to detach the carabiners while you can still reach them before fully stowing the awning. I chose the wire gate carabiners as they were the easiest to get on and off. They need to be strong, not the lightweight key ring type.

Refer to the photos before starting to see how it all goes together.

I confess I have not used this for real, but I nearly lost my awning on my first camping trip and think it would’ve saved me from disaster if the wind had been any stronger

IMG_4422.jpeg IMG_4423.jpeg IMG_4424.jpeg IMG_4425.jpeg IMG_4428.jpeg IMG_4433.jpeg IMG_4434.jpeg

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Richard J

I can kind of get the idea that you working on from the photo's and description. I'm away this weekend and, if I can find all my old gear may try it. But a video would really help if you get a chance..

Just understanding this process could help others around you that haven't been so clever as to wind their awnings in before the mistral hits...

Cheers
Red

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Richard J

I can kind of get the idea that you working on from the photo's and description. I'm away this weekend and, if I can find all my old gear may try it. But a video would really help if you get a chance..

Just understanding this process could help others around you that haven't been so clever as to wind their awnings in before the mistral hits...

Cheers
Red
Just make sure you know where all the bits are and how to put them together BEFORE it starts to get windy.
Ps
Have a printed copy of the instructions secured also, so they don't blow away. (y) :imoutahere:

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Just make sure you know where all the bits are and how to put them together BEFORE it starts to get windy.
Ps
Have a printed copy of the instructions secured also, so they don't blow away. (y) :imoutahere:
I can understand your position, that's why we practice White Water Safety and rescue regularly, so that if someone is unfortunate enough to fall into a raging river in spate we can, as experienced practitioners, identify items and objects in the surroundings that will assist us in successful recovery, and we are used to directing onlookers to help, in a safe way.

So, in this case, would it not be interesting to pursue the idea, so that we may be able to help someone else in the future?

Cheers
Red

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
My solution is that if it’s at all windy I just put it away before it gets too windy.

Wind ours back in at night , as i see one couple have there awning loop over there van causing a right mess.

Us too.

I remain astounded how casual some folks are with their awnings. 🤷‍♂️

Ian

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Sudden gusts can come out of no-where.

I remember at a Shrewsbury meet a couple of years ago, I had 3 people holding onto the leading edge of the awning while I wound it in. No sign of wind before.

Having everything in place before the gust hits would be helpful.

OP
OP
R
Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
Always reef early unless you are one of those Vendee Globe nutters.
That’s given me an idea for improving my fuel consumption….
My solution is that if it’s at all windy I just put it away before it gets too windy.
Try camping on an exposed site on north Cornwall. It’s always windy and variable. Your awning would be in and out like the proverbial. Life is too short to be staring at the awning all day…

OP
OP
R
Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
Richard J

Cheers
Red
I guess I should have been clearer about what this is trying to do but I don’t seem to be able to edit the original post. The main risk is of the awning being blown up and over the roof. The straps limit the vertical movement of the awning bar so that the combined effect of the straps and the storm ties is a bit like having a few people hanging on. As the awning is wound in the storm tie downs are let out and the ‘rescue’ straps are pulled in by pulling the loose end of the strap that is passed through the cam buckle. (This obviously locks when you let go so is preferable to a simple pulley. So this way both ends of the awning bar can be pulled at the same time from anywhere.) It could be done single handed but much easier and faster with a few helpers on the various straps . This pulls the bar down and towards the relevant wheel. I appreciate that the force vectors are not perfect but I think they would give good enough control to avert a catastrophe. I hope that helps.
Richard

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
My offering for an emergency controlled recovery of a wind out awning. Cheap, lightweight, quick to deploy and easy to create and install.

Ingredients; one 5m cam buckle tie down strap, one length of same width webbing strap ideally 10m, x2 carabiner D-ring wire gate 80mm, x2 T-track bolt 6M thread , x2 lifting loop 6M female stainless, x2 6M stainless washers, one wire coat hanger.

Construction; undo the end caps from the awning rail and insert T-track bolts securing them with the lifting loop and washer ensuring they don’t snag the awning arms when fully wound in. Take the tie down strap and tie to make a loop at the free end. Make a loop at one end of the length of webbing. Attach a carabiner to each loop. With the wire coat hanger make a gently curved length about 30 cm then make a 2m hook at one end a bend on the other to give control handling it.

Deployment; (hopefully you have storm tie downs but this should work anyway without). Attach the carabiners to the installed loops at each end of the rail with the cam buckle strap at the front. Loop the straps around the spokes of the respective wheels with the coat hanger tool and thread the strap from the back through the cam buckle and pull to take up all the slack. You now have a degree of control and can wind in the awning while pulling in your new straps and loosening the tie downs incrementally. A helping hand would be very useful. Don’t forget to detach the carabiners while you can still reach them before fully stowing the awning. I chose the wire gate carabiners as they were the easiest to get on and off. They need to be strong, not the lightweight key ring type.

Refer to the photos before starting to see how it all goes together.

I confess I have not used this for real, but I nearly lost my awning on my first camping trip and think it would’ve saved me from disaster if the wind had been any stronger

View attachment 769104 View attachment 769105 View attachment 769106 View attachment 769107 View attachment 769108 View attachment 769109 View attachment 769110
Just my opinion you understand, however if you have to go to such extreme lengths to stop it blowing away... should it really be out in first place?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
That’s given me an idea for improving my fuel consumption….

Try camping on an exposed site on north Cornwall. It’s always windy and variable. Your awning would be in and out like the proverbial. Life is too short to be staring at the awning all day…
If I was on an exposed site and windy then the awning would not be out at all.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I guess I should have been clearer about what this is trying to do but I don’t seem to be able to edit the original post. The main risk is of the awning being blown up and over the roof. The straps limit the vertical movement of the awning bar so that the combined effect of the straps and the storm ties is a bit like having a few people hanging on. As the awning is wound in the storm tie downs are let out and the ‘rescue’ straps are pulled in by pulling the loose end of the strap that is passed through the cam buckle. (This obviously locks when you let go so is preferable to a simple pulley. So this way both ends of the awning bar can be pulled at the same time from anywhere.) It could be done single handed but much easier and faster with a few helpers on the various straps . This pulls the bar down and towards the relevant wheel. I appreciate that the force vectors are not perfect but I think they would give good enough control to avert a catastrophe. I hope that helps.
Richard
Thanks Richard,

I'm away this weekend and this'll give me something to play around with, I think it's a great idea and could be used (by us) in situations where other Campers, that perhaps aren't as experienced as us, have unfortunately got into difficulties.

Cheers
Red.

OP
OP
R
Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
Just my opinion you understand, however if you have to go to such extreme lengths to stop it blowing away... should it really be out in first place?
Should you have gas in your van if you feel the need to have a fire extinguisher? If you are careful you, like the very vast majority, will never need it. However I have in my career seen more than my fair share of people suffer entirely unforeseen misfortune which could have been avoided. Having said that, if you feel you can accurately predict the vagaries of the British weather in all circumstances then you have nothing to fear and my post is irrelevant to you😉

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Should you have gas in your van if you feel the need to have a fire extinguisher? If you are careful you, like the very vast majority, will never need it. However I have in my career seen more than my fair share of people suffer entirely unforeseen misfortune which could have been avoided. Having said that, if you feel you can accurately predict the vagaries of the British weather in all circumstances then you have nothing to fear and my post is irrelevant to you😉
As I said...
JUST MY OPINION

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am not having that.

It is far too easy a solution :mad:

Innovation is what we are looking for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back