Electrolux/Dometic RM6505

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Simon Brown, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone help, my RM6505 has started to smell of ammonia when I open it up - its really bad and I have to vacate the van.

I believe the cooling unit is leaking and that is fairly terminal but looking around I cant find a replacement - everything else was working great until today so I think its worth repairing as its done me good service over the years - does anyone know where to get a cooling unit, a used RM6505 that I can take one from or even but a 2nd hand fridge freezer that would fit - I cant afford the £1200-£1500 to replace with new.

Thanks in advance

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +13,182
    Hi Simon

If it is the cooler unit leaking there will be bright green/yellow crystals around the leak, cant help with the spare though sorry.

Martin

3. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply - taken out the F/F this morning as need to go away in it today but didnt want to risk the kids, Dog etc getting ammonia poisoning, I had to do the work in a respirator it was so bad - cant see any crystals but I think the leak is very small, accumulates and is somewhere around the back internally.

4. Simon Brown

Simon Brown

Ratings:
    +3
    Still looking, I may end up just taking all the parts other than the cooling unit and selling them, seems the bits are quite expensive, just a shame my google searches are not coming up with any I can salvage. These fridge manufacturers have us over a barrel with the prices of these things!!

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Drexxer

Drexxer Funster

Ratings:
    +504
    Give me a shout if you decide to salvage some parts, I think the fridge manufacturers need to sort there game out!

Andy