Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Norfolk/Europe
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
10 years
Hopefully someone can enlighten me, I ran a 3 core 2.5mm cable from my 240v inlet socket (Motorhome) to a switched socket in my Motorhome garage, when connecting my 240v supply (house garage) the fuse box in (house garage) trips out.
It has been wired up correctly but being a bit of an electrical numpty I’m obviously missing something.
When I disconnect the cable from M/H inlet it’s all good again.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You've completely confused me - which is easy to do of course! :)

Can you break it down into steps as I don't understand what you are trying to do connecting to a socket in the MH garage - or are you referring to the garage where the MH is kept? :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Think you need to read your post.
It appears you connected between the hookup socket and a socket in the motorhome garage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I too am confused, but assume it’s a typo and you are plugging into your house garage. Before plugging it in make sure everything is turned off in the motorhome. What size fuse is in the garage ? Is it a fuse that’s popping or the ELCB. Fault on the cable ?

Its lump hammer time. :rofl:

Deleted User
I assume you have nothing plugged into the motorhome garage socket. Is it the fuse that’s tripping or the RCD.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you're connecting between a building and the vans hookup socket it can only be wired incorrectly, the breaker is weak/faulty or the breaker is overloaded.
Look at the label on the tripping breaker for the amp rating.
Try something else in the building socket.

Try the hookup cable in the house sockets.

Last edited:

Deleted User
hink you need to read your post.
It appears you connected between the hookup socket and a socket in the motorhome garage.
I thought exactly the same for the first 6 reads. I am now assuming this is from the back of the inlet socket to the motorhome garage. I.e. adding a new mains socket to the motorhome.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I thought exactly the same for the first 6 reads. I am now assuming this is from the back of the inlet socket to the motorhome garage. I.e. adding a new mains socket to the motorhome.
I think you've got it - the OP is wiring in a new socket in the MH garage.

Two points: If it's tripping then it isn't wired correctly and the new socket should in any case be wired downstream of the ELCB or whatever protection system is fitted.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If you're adding a 240v socket in your van shouldn't it either be run from the van RCD unit or from another socket ?

like what @DBK said (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hopefully someone can enlighten me, I ran a 3 core 2.5mm cable from my 240v inlet socket (Motorhome) to a switched socket in my Motorhome garage, when connecting my 240v supply (house garage) the fuse box in (house garage) trips out.
It has been wired up correctly but being a bit of an electrical numpty I’m obviously missing something.
When I disconnect the cable from M/H inlet it’s all good again.
If it is just easier to wire directly from the EHU inlet then fit an RCD socket - they are available, Google will find them.

OP
OP
captainscarlett

captainscarlett

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Norfolk/Europe
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
10 years
Yes I have wired from rear of inlet socket, directly to switched socket in MH garage, have bypassed MH fusebox which appears to be the problem. It’s my house garage RCD that’s tripping.
My intention was / is to be able to plug generator into (Please don’t tell me off) into garage socket to power up MH.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to do here,if you have connected a plug? for the generator to the back of the EHU socket the power will still have to go through the van RCD and fuses before it goes anywhere else!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Yes I have wired from rear of inlet socket, directly to switched socket in MH garage, have bypassed MH fusebox which appears to be the problem. It’s my house garage RCD that’s tripping.
My intention was / is to be able to plug generator into (Please don’t tell me off) into garage socket to power up MH.

Please God NO!!!

So, if I understand this correctly, you will then need a cable to link your generator to the socket in the MH garage?

Said cable will have a plug on each end and thus has the potential (no pun intended) to have live 240ac on the 13amp plug pins!!!

Please tell me I have this wrong!

Ian

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is easy when wiring a socket to cause strands of wire from one terminal to be in contact with another. It has nothing to do with incorrect wiring because as long as nothing is plugged into the new mh garage socket the house garage can't tell one way or the other. Disconnect your new mh garage socket completely (check for strands shorting whilst doing so). Tape the three wires so they can't contact each other (or you) then reconnect your EHU. If nothing happens in the house garage the fault was on your connection to the new mh garage socket. If it still trips in the house garage your fault is on the connection you made to the rear of the mh inlet socket.

OP
OP
captainscarlett

captainscarlett

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Norfolk/Europe
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
10 years
No Ian you are perfectly correct... go on I’ll do you a real good deal on your house re-wire.
Ok, I’m gonna have a complete re-think , thanks everyone for prompt replies and as always excellent advice.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
So you are missing out the RCD and using a 2.5mm cable with a 13 amp plug on each end. You must be mad. The whole idea of the RCD is to protect the inhabitants of the MH when using 240v electricity. What you should do is connect the house electrics to the proper 240v inlet on the MH. You should also remember that if you use a generator you will be powering the whole MH including fridge and battery charger. I would have thought that the RCD in the house is not happy finding another RCD connected the wrong way round which is what you are doing. You are supplying 240v to the output of the RCD. Just do it correctly before you KILL SOMEONE :( and it you don't know what you are doing LEAVE IT ALONE ...

OP
OP
captainscarlett

captainscarlett

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Norfolk/Europe
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
10 years
So do I take that as you don’t want my cheap house re-wire service then ? Not even if I chuck in free rubber gloves ,wellies and hair straighteners ?

Deleted User
It may not be as bad as it sounds. If the motorhome garage socket is male i.e. the same as the EHU hookup on the m/h then this is just a way of using the generator to power the motorhome via the motorhome RCD. That is there is two EHU points, one internal and one external.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It may not be as bad as it sounds. If the motorhome garage socket is male i.e. the same as the EHU hookup on the m/h then this is just a way of using the generator to power the motorhome via the motorhome RCD. That is there is two EHU points, one internal and one external.
So one male socket will be live when the other one is plugged in. OK, it's not as bad as a live 3-pin plug but it's still bad. Mains is supposed to be at least touch-proof (that's the '2' in IP20). Someone could inadvertently touch the live pins.

It needs a two-pole changeover switch, or a relay to change over automatically.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If wired correctly it should not 'trip the fuse box' in the house garage. So what exactly trips? The MCB (overcurrent probably due to short circuit) or the RCD (unwanted connection from live to ground).

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I’m struggling to understand why you would put a socket in the MoHo garage for a genie. When all you have to do is have a link cable from the genie to the MoHo input.

Totally confused of Cheltenham :rolleyes:

Deleted User
So one male socket will be live when the other one is plugged in. OK, it's not as bad as a live 3-pin plug but it's still bad. Mains is supposed to be at least touch-proof (that's the '2' in IP20). Someone could inadvertently touch the live pins.
Yes, you are correct. Hadn’t thought of that. If have already access to back of external EHU then could disconnect main input and Extend it back to garage and then put a two way isolating switch to take power from either external or internal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back