Electrical power upgrades, which order (1 Viewer)

sidaorb

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont know yet
Exp
Following on from my inverter thread and the subsequent can of worms I'm to get a bit more advice, of all the bits listed below if I was doing a bit at a time which order would you all suggest, or which if any aren't worth doing without another etc.

1) Second leisure battery
2) B2B charger
3) Solar panels
4) Anything else to add?

Still trying to work out if I do need the inverter, so initially the above list is based on 2-3 nights wild camping, gas fridge/hob/heating.

Running TV, lighting, CPAP machine, phone / laptop chargers, 12v modem

Thanks in advance

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
2) B2B charger
3) Solar panels
4) Anything else to add?
I think that's about the right order. It depends on your lifestyle. If you like to move on every 2 or 3 days then a B2B is number 2. If you prefer to drive to a site then stay for a week or two, move the solar panel up to number 2. Either way, a second battery is number 1.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I think that's about the right order. It depends on your lifestyle. If you like to move on every 2 or 3 days then a B2B is number 2. If you prefer to drive to a site then stay for a week or two, move the solar panel up to number 2. Either way, a second battery is number 1.

Agreed.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would say batteries and solar first if you like wild camping. I have just bought a B2B after 3 years of wilding with only solar panels, but I'm still not sure it going to be beneficial to me. A 240V inverter is only necessary if you want to watch a larger TV/ soundbar, although 240V TV's are cheaper.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Do you use a humidifier with your cpap? It makes quite a difference to the power consumed overnight. With humidifier and other demands such as lighting, recharging pads/phones and a bit of tv I use about 30 AH per night. In summer 2 x 100w of portable solar keeps up with demand but the b2b does the job in less than an hour on moving on days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sidaorb

sidaorb

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont know yet
Exp
Do you use a humidifier with your cpap? It makes quite a difference to the power consumed overnight. With humidifier and other demands such as lighting, recharging pads/phones and a bit of tv I use about 30 AH per night. In summer 2 x 100w of portable solar keeps up with demand but the b2b does the job in less than an hour on moving on days.

No humidifier thankfully.

Hence why not sure about solar Vs B2B probably to start with we'll be moving maximum every other day, so thinking b2b over solar to start with.

How do you find portable solar aren't you worried some bugger swiping them?

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You can put a cable and padlock round them, but at the end of the day a lock will only keep out an honest person. If a thief wants something then they will have it no matter what.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No humidifier thankfully.

Hence why not sure about solar Vs B2B probably to start with we'll be moving maximum every other day, so thinking b2b over solar to start with.

How do you find portable solar aren't you worried some bugger swiping them?
With the lower power needs of a cpap without a humidifier and your frequent moves a b2b would be my first choice too.

Not had a problem yet with portable solar going walkabout but I only bother with them when staying put for many days. If I think the location makes them particularly vulnerable I put them flat on the roof, secured with bungees to suction cups, to stop them blowing away. They are lightweight semi flexible ones which are easy to move around. However, now I have a good b2b I don’t find much need for them.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Following on from my inverter thread and the subsequent can of worms I'm to get a bit more advice, of all the bits listed below if I was doing a bit at a time which order would you all suggest, or which if any aren't worth doing without another etc.

2) B2B charger
3) Solar panels
4) Anything else to add?

Still trying to work out if I do need the inverter, so initially the above list is based on 2-3 nights wild camping, gas fridge/hob/heating.

Running TV, lighting, CPAP machine, phone / laptop chargers, 12v modem

Thanks in advance
As per all the others, however under anything to add I would (have) buy a couple of banks of electricity which can if you want charge up through solar
Any of these will do the job for well under 20 nicker and you will have 4 full phone charges spare.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...harger.TRS0&_nkw=solar+phone+charger&_sacat=0
We take ours with us when out for the day on the motorbike just in case maps.me runs my phone dry or wo betide my electronic cigarette runs out. Leave it on the beach and its charged in no time.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My choice would be an extra one or two batteries first then as much solar as you can fit on the roof with a decent MPPT regulator such as Votronic or Victron.
Don't say what van you have, if a German van it will have correct size cabling and a B2B won't give a lot of a advantage over the standard split charge set up. If a Brit van probably worth fitting a B2B.

Upvote 0

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
The first upgrade may be some decent battery cables, at least 10mm2 from the leisure battery to the alternator, ideally 16mm2, and then between the batteries and an inverter use 25mm2.

Plus be a bit fussy about making sure all connections are clean, tight and protected by at least a smear of vaseline or some ACF50 dribbled on.

Of course you may be lucky, but copper is expensive so that's the first thing to look at. As always with thick cables - make sure they run without chafing and vibrations will never cause them to short out.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The first upgrade may be some decent battery cables, at least 10mm2 from the leisure battery to the alternator, ideally 16mm2, and then between the batteries and an inverter use 25mm2.
You would probably need to change the split charge relay as well

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2018
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Caravanning since 1987, Motorhoming since 2018
I have 3 x 125AH batteries and a 300w solar panel on the roof through a Voltron MPP350 controller. I recon that from the begining of March to the end of October I am completely self-sufficient. (I do a lot of CAMC rallies, most do not have hook-ups). Even at New Year, in the worst of weather, I can last a minimum of 7 days. That includes moderate TV, and blown air heating fan.

Peter.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Some vans come with BtoB but if not it is the cheapest 'add-on'.
For my own taste Solar panels enable camping on Aires. B2B distributes the free energy, extra batteries allow you to store more power.
I would hate to be without GasLow or similar. The thought of running out of gas outside of the UK would not be fun. I do not know of any country outside of the UK that uses the same gas as we do but Autogas can be got anywhere and is much cheaper than exchange bottles.
Have you bought a van yet?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a 12v supply for your c-pap will help a lot. if its one of the small re-med units a laptop power supply works well

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back