Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I stayed awake (just). The conclusion is that if you are heating a van by electric on a hook up and the electricity is metered, then it can be significantly more expensive than heating by LPG or Diesel. LPG is great, except that we are all doomed as we are told that it will disappear by 2024 : ;) LOL.:sleep:

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We normally only use EHU when it's cold to run the heating and charge the battery so it may pay to increase the solar and not bother with EHU at all. I will have to work out the cost of lithium, a new charger, a pure sinewave inverter and extra solar. It's a large upfront cost but over a few years could be a good investment.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We normally only use EHU when it's cold to run the heating and charge the battery so it may pay to increase the solar and not bother with EHU at all. I will have to work out the cost of lithium, a new charger, a pure sinewave inverter and extra solar. It's a large upfront cost but over a few years could be a good investment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 24, 2022
South Killingholme, Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Gleneagle
Exp
I'm a newbie had a wobbly box when adam was a lad
never use hookup apart from my annual Christmas and new year outing in fact currently boosting my solar from 175 amps to 275 amps with 3 110 amp batteries. Give me a field with an elsan point and fresh water & grey water point and I'm sorted proper camping (y)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
The guy is interesting but he repeats himself and goes on a bit , I have watched a few of his videos but invariably end up fast forwarding 😬

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All our vans have been gas only heating & didn't bother with the electric option on the one on order.

Just been away in the UK for 5 nights in the UK off grid. Batteries never went below 90%. Skys must be really clear at the moment been getting up to 9 amps from the solar.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If I'm paying for EHU per KW then I only use it for low wattage LED lights and maybe the fridge.
We might spoil ourselves and watch a bit of TV.
Everything else is on LPG (or not used)

If the EHU is unmetered, then I'll use it for lighting, heating, cooking (we have gas and electric hob), Electric kettle, fridge, TV, radio .....

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
For us I couldn't see a big power system being cost effective we don't stay away a lot in the van over winter when we do we're out a lot and don't leave the heating on. In the summer if were on hook-up we don't use much electric at all. For us I suspect metering would be great.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If I'm paying for EHU per KW then I only use it for low wattage LED lights and maybe the fridge.

If the EHU is unmetered, then I'll use it for lighting, heating, cooking (we have gas and electric hob), Electric kettle, fridge, TV, radio .....
I suspect a lot do the same and hence all electric is likely to become metered

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
The main abuse with EHU are the seasonal pitches. A site in North Wales brought it in a couple of years ago. The inhabitants of Liverpool who came for weekends would go home leaving fan heaters, televisions and you name it switched on. It's the bad ones that spoilt it for everyone. This is not exclusive to Liverpool.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The main abuse with EHU are the seasonal pitches. A site in North Wales brought it in a couple of years ago. The inhabitants of Liverpool who came for weekends would go home leaving fan heaters, televisions and you name it switched on. It's the bad ones that spoilt it for everyone. This is not exclusive to Liverpool.
Should be automatic disconnection when no one there. They'd soon get the message.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I’ve never left the heating on overnight. We get too hot!! even on 14” .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Pretty well the same here

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
A few years ago we were on a trip in Germany. As we both started to feel unwell , made a dash to a nearby campsite. Unfortunately as we were also low on gas had to use the metered electric to heat the van. The 5days until we felt well enough to move on cost €95. Just for the electric. Hate to think what it would cost at today 's energy prices

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
All our vans have been gas only heating & didn't bother with the electric option on the one on order.

Just been away in the UK for 5 nights in the UK off grid. Batteries never went below 90%. Skys must be really clear at the moment been getting up to 9 amps from the solar.
Do you know how much gas you will have used on this occasion Lenny HB out of interest, presuming you had the heating on.

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
A few years ago we were on a trip in Germany. As we both started to feel unwell , made a dash to a nearby campsite. Unfortunately as we were also low on gas had to use the metered electric to heat the van. The 5days until we felt well enough to move on cost €95. Just for the electric. Hate to think what it would cost at today 's energy prices
Just been on a stellplatz in Bamberg Germany metered electricity 2 euro per 4 kwh lasted us 24 hours fridge, heating,water , lights and charging devices don't think that's too bad

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
We are on Alannia Costa Blanca and it has metered electricity. It is 40 cents for 1 kw. The only thing we have on electricity is the fridge/freezer and the battery charger. In February we used 155 kw which is €62 which is €2.21 per day. Not bad really.
LPG for heating and cooking €35 for the month. We use the facilities in the van.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

And heat the awning when you are off on a walk too! ;)

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Having used a seasonal pitch on a club site several times I would disagree with you.
Unbelievable to see the weekenders turning up and leaving halogen heaters on in awnings all night , also nice clean facilities all week then left in a disgusting state over the weekend ⚠️

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The rate I'm probably using the EHU for heating and stuff in the last couple of days, and with a couple more to go down in chuffing cold Dorset, glad I am not relying on LPG as I doubt the underslung would have been big enough.

Must say Charmouth (not in Charmouth) C&CC has an amazing standard toilet / shower block.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back