Electric bike recommendations (1 Viewer)

Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
We also have Wisper 806e bikes. They are fab. Fold if you want but like Solwaybuggier, we tend not to bother. I drop the bars over (simple clip) and they fit in the garage easily. You can remove the battery for charging inside the van when travelling. You can still charge them while the battery is still attached though.

If you carry them on a bike carrier, you will find they are quite light when the battery is removed (so you can easily lift them up). It's easy to remove the batteries (locked to the bike with a key). They have powered lights and the gearing is good.

We have not had any issues with smaller wheels like I thought we would.

When I was looking around, I wanted to get a Bosch motor in the crank, rather than a rear wheel motor. But I couldn't find a bike with the features I wanted (folding etc). However, it makes no real difference to us - you don't even think about it.

I went for the biggest battery they offered. It lasts pretty much a whole week of cycling shortish distances every day! We cycled around lake Annecy (about 35miles). We could have done it three times on one charge. In retrospect, I'd probably go for the middle size if I bought again as it adds to the price and weight.

Wully

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B524
Exp
Godot was inspired by the DVLA
We bought a couple of non electric folding bikes from Biltema when passing through Denmark - excellent bikes and very stable even on rough ground. Also very reasonably priced. We will flog these and buy the electric version when we are in Denmark again.
Denmark is a great place to buy bikes! (Pre Brexit, the pound will be worthless soon)

Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013
There are so many out there, I have a CUBE PRO CROSS with the Bosch power system and 500w battery, weight all up is 21 kg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
We bought a couple of non electric folding bikes from Biltema when passing through Denmark - excellent bikes and very stable even on rough ground. Also very reasonably priced. We will flog these and buy the electric version when we are in Denmark again.
Denmark is a great place to buy bikes! (Pre Brexit, the pound will be worthless soon)

and maybe we can buy them without paying the Danish Vat rate, then decide, either declare or not declare custom lane on re entry to UK. ( Govt currently saying relaxed border control after Jan 1st, maybe trip early next year?)

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Ecovoltz...https://www.ecovoltz.co.uk/
I wouldn't have anything else. It folds lovely, fits on the bike rack, is only 22kg. I have two of them and they have never let me down for over two years now. They have aa range of over 40 miles and are very sturdily made.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think that crank motors are best. All should be 250W (the max permitted for a pedelec) but get the highest torque you can to be able to start on a hill. Those with batteries low down have lower centre of gravity (better stability). Get the biggest battery you can if you don't want range anxiety. The stated ranges are rarely obtained, unless starting from the top of a hill and not returning.

Jul 20, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
Hymer A
Exp
WARNING.....It’s worth noting... there are many electric bikes for sale on Facebook. Very professional looking adverts and some extremely low prices.I ordered one in January, paying an extra 20$ for speedier delivery. Paid by PayPal. I had heard that your money is safe when using Paypal.
I was hoping it would arrive before I set off for Spain. I emailed to ask when it would arrive, and the reply said they had been overwhelmed with orders, and could not tell me when it would be be despatched... would I like to order something else from their catalogue? WHAT!!..no I want an electric bike!
I pointed out that I had paid for speedy delivery, so I want my money back.
Two days later.....email stating it had been delivered and signed for!! THAT WAS QUICK FROM CHINA!
When I informed them it had not been delivered, so I want proof of signing,.....email arrives with Tracking Company name, email address and trace number.
Again..I said it had not been delivered...reply..go and see your Post Office.!!
NOW the first clever bit. I Googled the tracking company....Trustpilot ...lots of reviews sating it was a scam set up not as a COURIER but TRACKING company in a bedroom in China!
OK, no probs. Set up a Non-Delivery complaint with PayPal, who tell me they contact the supplier and give them two weeks to reply, after which if no reply, they refund the money. I explained to PayPal my findings.
Off I go to Spain Bikeless. During my stay there, I have reply from Paypal...”as the supplier has a signed delivery..the payment stands.“..WHAT!
NOW for the second clever bit.
In persuing PayPal, I wanted to copy the supplier emails to PayPal. FUNNY...their emails are no longer in my received emails list on my iPad. Had to wait till I returned from holiday just before lockdown, and found they were not on my main computer either. Fortunately, I had printed their emails.
Be warned, and watch this space!!

Wully

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B524
Exp
and maybe we can buy them without paying the Danish Vat rate, then decide, either declare or not declare custom lane on re entry to UK. ( Govt currently saying relaxed border control after Jan 1st, maybe trip early next year?)

Bikes are so numerous in Denmark that pricing is extremely competitive- far cheaper than in UK and they’ll be ‘used,second hand goods’ when you come home....

Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
30 years caravan, 3 years MH
I’m rubbish on a bike, and was forever falling off! I’ve had two folding electric bikes, which were lighter and easy to get on and off, but had small wheels, so they were quite unstable! I’ve now got a Dutch frame step through with normal wheels, and although it’s heavier, it’s much more stable and I don’t fall off! Mine is a Kalkoff Agutti, but there are lots of other makes. Hope that helps! I am 5’ 2” by the way, with short legs!!

Hi Stonemags
You could do a lot worse than British built Volt folding bikes, excellent backup superb construction and easy to ride. I don’t know about England but in Scotland we have The Scottish Enterprise Trust which will give you a 4 year interest free loan for ebikes etc and it’s a doddle to arrange. Come on England catch up. !!!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I've got one of these. With two hip and one knee replacement, ankle screwed together with pins etc, it's the only way. (Wind n the Willows 1984), but you are all toooooo young. :gum:

<Broken link removed>

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi, just remember how much stick Gary got from having a bike with small wheels in Weymouth, hard to steer small wheels

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We've got Raleigh Arrays, front hub drive Dutch style step thru frames. I cannot fault them, they are well built, super to ride with long durable batteries. Not sure what the paranoia is about front hub drive? Works just fine and we just don't notice it. The stability with 27inch wheels is super, we have back racks and mrs has a front basket. We get the shopping and get about 70kms range. The drawbacks? Circa 24kgs each so need a good rack, I use a thule towball with an extra brace strap.

But highly recommended.

Gerry

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Just read Triumph are doing an e-bike ..looks very nice and says it weighs 2.5 kg costs about £3k.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
4 years ago I bought a Freego 16Ah e-bike (folding). I can recommend it even thought the peddles tend to unscrew from the crank occasionally. Otherwise ample power to move a 15 stone bloke around a fair distance. Just remember that any battery, the range decreases with age. After 4 years can onlyI get about 12 miles out of mine now. New replacements are around £300 mark

Last edited:

Wully

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B524
Exp
. New replacements are around £300 mark

Ive been looking at YouTube videos on how to make your own...
doesn’t look at all difficult. I’m going to look into the cost as the battery is the big expense on an ebike.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Bought 2 Giant hybrid electric bikes (one a stepthru for the other half) in 2012 on the bike to work sheme, still going strong on original batteries and they have been very reliable so far. Big strong and quite heavy (23 kilos) with batteries on board. Got a folding bike carrier fot towbar firtting at the time (carries 60 kg) but later on the M/H we changed to have rear mounted bike racks rated at 60 KG. Plus we have the facility to carry them in the garage on board. The only reason I would change mine is a to get myself a stepthru. The best advice is as the other funsters say try different ones but pick a good dealer. I donot hold with this veiw you only get good if you pay loads. Ours have been trouble free, our friends paid a lot for Kalkofs and had lots of issues with theirs. A bit like these so called superior German M/Homes we keep hearing about on here!

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Seago folding ebike. Sold at ships Chandler or online. About 20kg with battery. Latest models are also easy to replace any parts of the loom, without having to replace the whole thing.

Apr 17, 2013
Bedworth
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer Excis-
Exp
About 5 years now
I have had 4 electric bikes - which we cart around on the back of our Hymer Excis-i.
There is great advantage to be had from a step through, although the frame feels a little wobbly compared to a conventional men’s bike. I found great comfort in using a Decathlon electric bike, as we could have it serviced anywhere in France and Spain, which is our normal touring pattern. There is often a Decathlon store on the edge of major towns. Their bikes are competitively priced.
I found that bikes with small wheels felt less secure than normal bikes, and folders were unnecessary with a bike rack - which has been upgraded to ascend and descend electrically, as electric bikes are heavy, even without there battery.
My current bike has 2 batteries - enough power to get a fat old bloke with a bad knee into the villages set on top of the hills for bread in the mornings.
Hope this is helpful - cant wait to get away safely!

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Another vote for AS Bikes, inexpensive, well made with accessories. Charming, really helpful makers in Ryton-on-Dunsmore.

Dbrain

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Bath
Funster No
MH
roller team pegeso 7
Exp
Afternoon all hope your all safe and well, I am looking at getting my better half an electric bike she can ride a bike but she has trouble stepping though the frame on most ladies bikes so I am thinking of getting a folding type for to reasons? One they seem lower and it can fold and go in the garage because I'm being told it might be to heavy for the bike rack.
Any info would be great, pros and cons, min battery size, best place to buy, best type anything really our budget will be in the £1.500 range.
Cheers

Dbrain

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Bath
Funster No
MH
roller team pegeso 7
Exp
just got a samebike mountain bike folding 350 motor £900 worth looking at

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
The bike shops are getting sold out or have very limited supplies but whatever you find I would recommend the Bosch motor.

Nov 13, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924F A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Mitchyd,

Several people have already recommended Volt Metros particularly the step through model for ladies. My better half absolutely loves hers. We bought ours about 5 years ago and have enjoyed trouble free riding since then. We aren't marathon riders so probably our longest rides are around 20 miles, round trip. We have never run out of power and I can't remember a time when we had to get off climbing a hill! When I bought them they were the lightest folding electric available. There are many retailers across the country so I would imagine someone near you stock them. Good luck with choosing.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Something to consider on this topic. It may be obvious to many but the distance one can travel on these e-bikes will be affected by the size of the rider. Basically, the smaller and lighter you are - the further you will be abler to travel on an e-bike. Those who claim high mileages on e-bikes probably weighs less than 10 stone (65kg). I'm about 15 stone (100kg) and have never got anywhere near the mileages stated on some of these posts.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Something to consider on this topic. It may be obvious to many but the distance one can travel on these e-bikes will be affected by the size of the rider. Basically, the smaller and lighter you are - the further you will be abler to travel on an e-bike. Those who claim high mileages on e-bikes probably weighs less than 10 stone (65kg). I'm about 15 stone (100kg) and have never got anywhere near the mileages stated on some of these posts.
Also the spec is given for riding on the flat with no wind and with the lowest power assist. Ours are quoted at over 110 miles most I've mamaged it 45, I'm 75 kg. I do know with our setup fitter riders can get 75 miles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back