Eko Roll Insulation (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I was up in the loft today rerouting some wiring and I stumbled across a load of unopened Knauf Eko Roll Insulation
Link Removed
Would you advise for or against using this to insulate the van and what are your reasons?

I was going to use the kingspan solid type boards but this is free so it's tempting me?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's 200 mm thick, and for it to work efficiently you shouldn't crush it.
50mm Kingspan has similar insulation properties to 100" of fibreglass, I would stick with the Kingspan.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
200mm is 2”, that would make it unsuitable. If it was 50mm maybe. Also, it needs to be glued/fixed so it doesn’t sag from vibration. That’s another reason not to use it.
I would avoid kingspan and the like, due to poor ability to fit curved/uneven surfaces and end up with far to many voids.
My choice would be fire retardant wool/wadding, made of recycle plastic bottles, used in furniture industry. It can be glued with trim adhesive and it’s non itch and versatile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I was thinking of tearing it to make it less thick, and maybe bagging it to avoid condensation, just seems a shame not to use it as it's there doing nothing. I've read loads of contradicting thing online about using different types of insulation and their 'R' values, seeing that this type of insulation as a lot lover 'R' value did put me off using it at first but then I thought no matter how well a van is insulated it will still have 35% glass which is where most of the heat will expel from.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
To tear that stuff, will separate uneven. And you will not fix it properly to the vertical surfaces.
Besides, to stop condensation, you will need something on the bare metal skin before the wool. Google self adhesive dodo mat, 10mm. It’s a thermal acoustic liner. The most important part of insulation process, is to eliminate cold bridging as much as you can, and a vapour barrier as air tight as you can before the wall panels. Allowing warm air into your ins. wool on the wall, is like wearing soggy clothes in the cold.
The wool is the cheap part, stick what you got on eBay and get what you need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I'm just being tight :ROFLMAO: My concerns are with the water retention on the glassfibre, hence the bagging idea. Think I might, as you say, sell this on and get something else.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back