Dave and Mand
Jun 6, 2018
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for your replies, the reason for the question was the battery charger seems to be warm (not hot) all the time.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
whilst modern chargers will not damage the battery being left on leaving the charger running must shorten its life (everything must have a life span).i would only charge as and when enough to keep the batteries topped upcouple of hours a week should surfice unless theres a heavey drain on your van

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not all chargers are suitable to be left on 24/7 ..

Your user manual will advise on this..

Generally speaking I would only leave mine on for 24 hrs or until the battery(s) are fully charged . do this every three or four weeks.

I asked Udo Lang , the Schaudt guru , about leaving the EBL99 on all the time he gave me this advise :

I would charge with a timer once a month for 24 hours or each couple of weeks for 24 hours to keep the battery on level over 12V.

To stay longer than 3 weeks on the mains when the camper is not in usage, may create a kind of memory effect on the leisure battery.

With Best Regards,

i. o. Udo Lang.

Chargers are like all electrical kit.. they have a finite lifespan..and even following Udo's advice my EBL charger developed a fault and it stopped charging. The repair cost £200 ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
leave mine on all the time at home, gives us an extra fridge / freezer for overflow when we have a lot to cook or people round

also winter leave Alde heating set to 8C as well to avoid freezing issues

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i do it the other way round ,i hook my house fridge and freezer to the inverter in the trailer and let the sun power them. run a good lead from the trailer into the house and save a shilling on leccy.
come september then i have to get back to paying . never mind .
i do like the lovely weather we are having at the moment.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We leave ours plugged in during winter but not summer.

We don’t have it parked up for months on end though.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
leaving the charger running must shorten its life (everything must have a life span)
Not necessarily. Devices like voltage regulators have their life span determined by the number of on/off cycles, because the thermal stress of heating up and cooling down has more effect than continuous running.

Chargers with 3 or more stages (sometimes labelled as 'IUoU profile') are usually fine, but I've been surprised by the number of 'modern' chargers that are two-stage or even constant voltage, so it's worth checking.

Also even some 3-stage chargers can overcharge when power is being taken from the batteries intermittently.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Yes, summer and winter, in summer the Schaudt will use the solar input as preference anyway and in winter like @DavidG58 set the thermostat to 8C though we are not parked up for long periods normally.

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
No never and no problems in 10 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I used to let the solar panel take care of recharging during the summer months and rely on a drive up the A12 every couple of weeks during the winter.

Now since moving to a covered storage with EHU I have been leaving it plugged in during the winter months for a couple of weeks at a time between visits with no problems.

During the summer and when we are not away I leave it plugged in and hooked up to a digital timer, which just gives it a few hours top up twice a week and seems to do the job. I shall continue with the timer all year round now and just increase the time period during the winter.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No, solar keeps the batteries topped up and I plug in to 230v the day before we go away to chill the fridge.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Put an EHU on the garage wall, simple enough if you can wire a plug and are happy using a drill. Van is plugged in 24/7.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back