ECU tester/scanner/reader. (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Been for my MOT today in the van (Fiat Ducato) and after it passing asked the chap to plug in his tester to check all ok. He then told me I had a current fault which was the MAF sensor, and as was current, he was unable to reset it. Although I don’t have any warning lights, or driving problems with the van. Also last time away the service light appeared, which was the first time I’d ever had that, so it did cause some concern until I researched what it was. So an ecu reader would be a nice addition to the tool box.

So what ecu plug in reader do you, and are they any good on a Fiat Ducato

Thanks
Andy.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have Multiecuscan its fiat specific and you can get it loaded to a variety of stuff.
I have it on my laptop but I believe it can be on many other carriers.
You will also need the correct obd plug for your model and year.
Look up the Gendan Web site they do the complete kits.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS, it is a full spec and can adjust, reset as well as read.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Landy Andy
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I have Multiecuscan its fiat specific and you can get it loaded to a variety of stuff.
I have it on my laptop but I believe it can be on many other carriers.
You will also need the correct obd plug for your model and year.
Look up the Gendan Web site they do the complete kits.
Thanks. I was hoping for a system that didn’t need a computer as I only have a 12 year old laptop.

Am I correct that yours needs a computer?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
My laptop is at least 11 years old 🙄

I believe it can be loaded on other stuff but needs a "carrier"
It's a full works proffesional software which will do much more than you are likely to use.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Have you a smart phone?
As well as multiecuscan (the use i totaly agree with) i use Alfaobd ( another able to read fiat specific codes and change https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...cato-including-fiat.231372/#post-4688696euro6 oil change settings) and torque pro with an android phone(samsung j6).
Alfaobd can be connected to the van using usb with the same adaptor as multiecuscan. Not all bluetooth obd2 readers are the same. beware cheap clones, more details and pickys here

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
I can’t comment on non-PC tools, but can second MultiEcuscan for a Ducato. Bought it shortly after buying our van and it’s been invaluable.

I’ve a cheap eBay ODBII reader which only does the ‘main’ ECU and so wouldn’t have dealt with a single one of the issues I’ve had - which were in the ‘gearbox’ and ‘body’ ECUs. (I.e TCM and BCM)

Sep 4, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T660
Exp
Since 2020
A basic ELM327 OBD reader with either it's own screen or better, bluetooth to the Torque app on an Android smartphone or wifi to dash command on an I-Phone will read and reset fault codes on the engine.

The one in your link would be fine but a bit pricey because it comes with software (i presume)
Amazon product ASIN B07CP632CL is one that links to your phone and you use the free Torque app on GooglePlay store

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
If only interested in generic engine codes generic BT readers are cheap if you want to check any thing else body brakes etc add or calibrate certain components you need multiecuscan or alfaobd for fiat specific stuff eg resetting oil condition monitor euro6 its a must. Its a classic spoiling ship for an happorth of tar.

OP
OP
Landy Andy
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Have you a smart phone?
As well as multiecuscan (the use i totaly agree with) i use Alfaobd ( another able to read fiat specific codes and change https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...cato-including-fiat.231372/#post-4688696euro6 oil change settings) and torque pro with an android phone(samsung j6).
Alfaobd can be connected to the van using usb with the same adaptor as multiecuscan. Not all bluetooth obd2 readers are the same. beware cheap clones, more details and pickys here

Yes I’ve iPhone and iPad.

Don’t even know if laptop still works or not.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I believe iphones need at least bt4 or a wifi dongle (no cheap £10 adaptors) . I use a obdlink sx the usb version the mx is a good option and there is an ios version of multiecuscan.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Interesting that you have no engine warning lights (has the bulb blown :ROFLMAO:)

Had a "problem" with MAF sensor warning although van performed impeccably. Turned out to be the fuse for the reversing lights blown!

Huh? Yep, the power source for the MAF sensor is taken from the reversing light circuit (2007 Ducato X250 130)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I belong to a VW Tiguan Owner's Forum and one Section is set aside for Members who have bought Diagnostic Kit [and understand how to use it, which rules me out!]; the Section also has a location map so that Forum Members can contact their nearest Member who would be willing to offer a Diagnostic Check for the ubiquitous Beer Tokens. Is this something that would be worth replicating?

Steve

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I belong to a VW Tiguan Owner's Forum and one Section is set aside for Members who have bought Diagnostic Kit [and understand how to use it, which rules me out!]; the Section also has a location map so that Forum Members can contact their nearest Member who would be willing to offer a Diagnostic Check for the ubiquitous Beer Tokens. Is this something that would be worth replicating?

Steve
and understand how to use it, which rules me out!] me as well.
there is also such a section on the Fiat Forum.
The guidance after hooking up is the most important aspect, this of course could be done remotely.
I can be a keyboard jockey but the brains trust is also required for more than simple tasks. Is that a yes?
edit no beer tokens required, tea drunk here.

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Been for my MOT today in the van (Fiat Ducato) and after it passing asked the chap to plug in his tester to check all ok. He then told me I had a current fault which was the MAF sensor, and as was current, he was unable to reset it. Although I don’t have any warning lights, or driving problems with the van. Also last time away the service light appeared, which was the first time I’d ever had that, so it did cause some concern until I researched what it was. So an ecu reader would be a nice addition to the tool box.

Thanks
Andy.
Hi Andy, go to euro car parts, cheap old reader less than £20, l got one and used it on our 2005 fiat Ducato swift moho

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
If only interested in generic engine codes generic BT readers are cheap if you want to check any thing else body brakes etc add or calibrate certain components you need multiecuscan or alfaobd for fiat specific stuff eg resetting oil condition monitor euro6 its a must. Its a classic spoiling ship for an happorth of tar.

Slightly hijacking the original - can I ask did you have to get the licensed version of multiecuscan. I just tried the free version over bluetooth and it is communicating but telling me I need the registered version. Looking at their site I would have thought the free version would scan the engine component at least. Ironically I I drove Alfas for years and had the licence to Alfaobd somewhere at one stage!!

TIA

OK edit update. Did more research and all the modules in red on the multiecuscan site are not available for the ducato 290. Licensed version it must be!!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Slightly hijacking the original - can I ask did you have to get the licensed version of multiecuscan. I just tried the free version over bluetooth and it is communicating but telling me I need the registered version. Looking at their site I would have thought the free version would scan the engine component at least. Ironically I I drove Alfas for years and had the licence to Alfaobd somewhere at one stage!!

TIA
The free version only gives very limited access. So to do anything worthwhile you need a license.
The license access is lifetime but you only get upgrades for a year.
So if there us a change in model after a year then it will be like having access in the free version for that model.
However you still have full access to the software for the older models.

Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
Landy Andy
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Interesting that you have no engine warning lights (has the bulb blown :ROFLMAO:)

Had a "problem" with MAF sensor warning although van performed impeccably. Turned out to be the fuse for the reversing lights blown!

Huh? Yep, the power source for the MAF sensor is taken from the reversing light circuit (2007 Ducato X250 130)
Did you get a warning light with your MAF “problem”?

New MAF arrived today, so will fit tomorrow.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
This is the best value effective obd scanner I have used. I've had several cheap ebay scanners and for the most part they are useless.
I purchased this one a few months ago and was impressed with its functionality, It scans and reads every part of my x290 and readily resets faults.
It's great value at the moment and comes with one free license included in the price but you can add extra vehicles for a one off fee of I think £17.
This unit is small and unobtrusive and is permanently plugged in to my OBD port giving a permanent read out if required through the app on my infotainment head unit.
For the occasional DIYer this is a must.
Infract for any fiat ducato owner it is a must saves a lot of heartache when the inevitable air bag bug strikes.;)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Gendan have recommended this one for Bluetooth.

Any thoughts, because I know nothing about this witchcraft.

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_OBDLINKMX.html
I have a MultiEcuscan (never used) which, IF you understand computers (I don't) is supposed to be the bee's knees but I spoke to Grant at Gendan and he recommended for, my 2007 Fiat X250, the, handheld (no computer needed) Foxwell NT530.
I have used this a number of times and it's far more user friendly and covers everything I need.

Trust Gendan, especially Grant, they are, in my experience, honest, reliable and VERY customer friendly!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Thanks
Andy.
Buy an older MH and some spanners (y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Slight off specific topic..

Gendan says that many manufacturers including fiat since late 2017 have put an electronic lock in place on certain models to prevent all but main dealer access to obd2 functions.

Of course stuff will soon be available to override this.

Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months

Thanks
Andy.
I have a cheap bluetooth adapter that plugs into the OBD port and an app on my (Android) phone TorqueOBD. I always have my phone with me on a trip and the adapter is light and tiny. You could even leave it plugged into the port.

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
I have a cheap bluetooth adapter that plugs into the OBD port and an app on my (Android) phone TorqueOBD. I always have my phone with me on a trip and the adapter is light and tiny. You could even leave it plugged into the port.
I have a perugia boxer base vehicle 2011 although similar to Fiat after finding several code readers didn't work I phoned a company I found on Internet who supplied the reader to suit the vehicle,I was shocked at the price £22, I thought it was going to cost a lot more.
He told me the previous ones I purchased would not work because Peugeot boxers had a Ford engine.
Iit may not be the same with a Fiat but my advice would be get the reader that suits your vehicle.

OP
OP
Landy Andy
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’ve gone for the one Gendan have recommended as I don’t know what I want, or if it will work. They are telling me it will, so if it doesn’t, I have someone to complain to. I don’t want/need anything complicated at this time. Just to know if the new fitted MAF has cleared the fault, or it still shows a fault, which could indicate other problems. Although bus drives fine, no warning lights, just a bit Smokey (black).

Thanks all the info.

StveveCB

Free Member
Oct 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
If you look up OBD11 reader on eBay/Amazon you will see the options. Some are readers only and some you can reset fault code.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back