Eco Tree lithium batteries (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I am one of the lucky recipients of the prize draw for a reduced price 100ah battery that was run by Fun a few weeks back.
(Most fortuitous but I wont let that affect an impartial review. Been thinking for a while of switching from agm but there was obviously no rush with the current restrictions and then this win made the decision for me.)
The guys I spoke to at Eco Tree could not of been more helpful and the exchange of £££'s for the actual battery went very smoothly. I receive a personal delivery to my doorstep and a few more questions I had thought about in the intervening period were answered.
What they did point out was that there needs to be a device to protect the smart alternator from trying to output very high amps. Already fitted in my van so no worries there.
They are promoting these lithium batteries as a straight drop in replacement with a built-in battery management system to take care of the abuses that can be inflicted on them in a motorhome. Time will tell but with a very long guarantee they must be confident of that claim.
More to follow when I get around to fitting this and then some real use experience in the not too distance future.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I am one of the lucky recipients of the prize draw for a reduced price 100ah battery that was run by Fun a few weeks back.
(Most fortuitous but I wont let that affect an impartial review. Been thinking for a while of switching from agm but there was obviously no rush with the current restrictions and then this win made the decision for me.)
The guys I spoke to at Eco Tree could not of been more helpful and the exchange of £££'s for the actual battery went very smoothly. I receive a personal delivery to my doorstep and a few more questions I had thought about in the intervening period were answered.
What they did point out was that there needs to be a device to protect the smart alternator from trying to output very high amps. Already fitted in my van so no worries there.
They are promoting these lithium batteries as a straight drop in replacement with a built-in battery management system to take care of the abuses that can be inflicted on them in a motorhome. Time will tell but with a very long guarantee they must be confident of that claim.
More to follow when I get around to fitting this and then some real use experience in the not too distance future.
I'm glad it went well for you. I have a few questions. What is this device to protect the smart alternator from trying to output very high amps? Is there anyway I can tell if I have a smart alternator and have the device already fitted?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
What is this device to protect the smart alternator from trying to output very high amps?
It's a dc to dc charger or more commonly referred to as a battery to battery charger..
Effectively charges the leisure battery from the start battery/alternator by taking power from that source and then charging the leisure battery as would any other type of charger be it mains or solar powered..
They come with various current capacities and therefore limit the possibility of any current over and above the capacity of the device you chose..
On the smart alternator side ..most modern vehicles have a smart alternator fitted..it just means its output is controlled by a signal from the vehicle ecu rather than the once voltage regulator fitted..
It's output voltage can fluctuate anywhere between say 13v up to 15v..depending on battery state and driving conditions..
If you can monitor your start battery voltage while engine is running you will soon see if its a smart..
Andy.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I too was a winner.Dropped my van off at Oaktree Motorhomes and they lent me a courtesy car whilst they fitted it..Excellent service..Will be great when we can hit the road and try it out.BUSBY.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I too was a winner. Dropped my van off at Oaktree Motorhomes and they lent me a courtesy car whilst they fitted it. Excellent service. Will be great when we can hit the road and try it out. BUSBY.
Hello busby. Did they fit any other equipment or was it a straight swap for your previous battery?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Im also one of the winners delivered to me door fitted it last week and this post has reminded me i want to go and check it lol

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Im also one of the winners delivered to me door fitted it last week and this post has reminded me i want to go and check it lol
Hello mitzimad. Basically the same question for you. Have you fitted any other equipment or did you just do a straight swap for your previous battery?

Roger

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is there anyway I can tell if I have a smart alternator and have the device already fitted?
On fiat Motorhome chassis they are only smart from the Euro 6D engine Motorhomes started with them around mid to late 2019. The converter will have fitted a B2B but probably only a 30 amp one. Mercs have had them for quite a few years.
Even with a standard alternator you should fit a B2B as the high charging capability of a Lithium battery can burn out an alternator if just relying on a split charge relay.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Lenny HB. Mine is a 2015 Fiat Ducato (290?) so possibly not smart but i take your point about burn out. I'm still trying to figure out if I have a B2B fitted now (and where it is?) as the system always keeps both the leisure batteries and cab battery charged regardless of the input source.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Straight swap,,They tidied the wiring up a bit also,,BUSBY.
Afternoon Mr. Busby, did you have solar panels fitted and an uprated /controllable power device already installed, or did you just have the standard van equipment to use?
Thanks and hope you both well. 😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny HB. Mine is a 2015 Fiat Ducato (290?) so possibly not smart but i take your point about burn out. I'm still trying to figure out if I have a B2B fitted now (and where it is?) as the system always keeps both the leisure batteries and cab battery charged regardless of the input source.
Definitely not smart mine is 2017, standard alternator.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
I'm glad it went well for you. I have a few questions. What is this device to protect the smart alternator from trying to output very high amps? Is there anyway I can tell if I have a smart alternator and have the device already fitted?
I've heard that ducatto engines from 2015 onwards and Fitted with Euro 5 & 6 engines have smart alternators fitted , but can't find any info on this.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Having looked into when Ducatos were fitted with smart alternators, I discovered the following:
Unless your van has the "EcoJet" engine with stop/start function, electro hydraulic power steering, and an eco function button to save fuel,plus brake regen, then you probably have a standard not smart alternator.
Also if the cab unit is to be converted to a motor home, then unless specified by the converter, a conventional alternator will probably be fitted.
As others have said, just check the charge voltage going into the starter battery.
LES

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've heard that ducatto engines from 2015 onwards and Fitted with Euro 5 & 6 engines have smart alternators fitted , but can't find any info on this.
Smart alternators are fitted to Ducato's for camper conversions from the Euro 6D engines, standard Ducato vans had them on eairler engines.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Having looked into when Ducatos were fitted with smart alternators, I discovered the following:
Unless your van has the "EcoJet" engine with stop/start function, electro hydraulic power steering, and an eco function button to save fuel,plus brake regen, then you probably have a standard not smart alternator.
Also if the cab unit is to be converted to a motor home, then unless specified by the converter, a conventional alternator will probably be fitted.
As others have said, just check the charge voltage going into the starter battery.
LES
That does not apply to Ducato's for camper conversions.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Afternoon Mr. Busby, did you have solar panels fitted and an uprated /controllable power device already installed, or did you just have the standard van equipment to use?
Thanks and hope you both well. 😊
I had solar panels fitted a couple of years ago,,,Panels charging new lithium battery well..Keep safe Captain,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back