Ebl 99 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
How would I go about upgrading my Electroblok EBL99,and what with. Gone back second time for servicing (if it can be done this time) . So thinking about upgrading.I would go for a Lithium setup.
Has anyone done this.Any advice from all the knowledgeable funsters out there would be most appreciated 😊

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive got a reich e block thats a weak link in my van like yours been repaired once if i hadn't been repairable i would have rewired it all using separate components i would suffer loosing the info screen for better reliability as that was the one item i couldnt find a way to reuse .the rest is just a package of relays fuses and a very poor battery charger it depends on your skill levels if you could do it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cookieboy68
Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
ive got a reich e block thats a weak link in my van like yours been repaired once if i hadn't been repairable i would have rewired it all using separate components i would suffer loosing the info screen for better reliability as that was the one item i couldnt find a way to reuse .the rest is just a package of relays fuses and a very poor battery charger it depends on your skill levels if

ive got a reich e block thats a weak link in my van like yours been repaired once if i hadn't been repairable i would have rewired it all using separate components i would suffer loosing the info screen for better reliability as that was the one item i couldnt find a way to reuse .the rest is just a package of relays fuses and a very poor battery charger it depends on your skill levels if you could do it
Thanks for the reply,got skills to swap out things ,but not to build😬

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
How would I go about upgrading my Electroblok EBL99,and what with. Gone back second time for servicing (if it can be done this time) . So thinking about upgrading.I would go for a Lithium setup.
What exactly is wrong with the EBL99? It has the mains charger and split charge relay, and also the fridge relay. It distributes the 12V power from the leisure battery.

Disabling the mains charger and wiring an alternative mains charger is quite easy. Wiring a separate split charge relay, or better still adding a B2B instead, is also quite easy. I think the rest of the functions, like the fridge relay and all the fused outputs, are quite reliable and probably not worth the effort of rewiring.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cookieboy68
Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
What exactly is wrong with the EBL99? It has the mains charger and split charge relay, and also the fridge relay. It distributes the 12V power from the leisure battery.

Disabling the mains charger and wiring an alternative mains charger is quite easy. Wiring a separate split charge relay, or better still adding a B2B instead, is also quite easy. I think the rest of the functions, like the fridge relay and all the fused outputs, are quite reliable and probably not worth the effort of rewiring.
When on ehu ,the ebl buzzes, I have sent it off for servicing 2nd time in 3 years,so I'm thinking that it's old and at some time it might not be able to be fixed,so planning ahead.As the helpful post above said the ebl119 is the newer version and the sockets look the same.If I can swap the ebl 99 for the ebl119 straight over ,I will keep an eye out for one and have it as a spare.
Would like to know if the ebl 119 is OK for lithium 🤔
Thanks for the reply👍😊

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Just looked up apuljack charge for my EBL226 to Lithium at £104 seems very reasonable,
I may well go down this road when changing later in the year,
In answer to cookeiboy68 see below for information on the EBL119
IMG_7375.jpeg
IMG_7376.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When on ehu ,the ebl buzzes, I have sent it off for servicing 2nd time in 3 years,so I'm thinking that it's old and at some time it might not be able to be fixed,so planning ahead.As the helpful post above said the ebl119 is the newer version and the sockets look the same.If I can swap the ebl 99 for the ebl119 straight over ,I will keep an eye out for one and have it as a spare.
Would like to know if the ebl 119 is OK for lithium
The only thing inside the EBL99 that uses mains power is the inbuilt mains charger. You can isolate that: pull out the kettle plug on the EBL front panel and remove the 'Internes Lademodul' fuse to isolate the charger output. That should stop the buzzing. The mains charger on the EBL119 is the same as the one in the EBL99. It's an unboxed version of the LAS1218 charger that is available separately as an extra auxiliary charger.

This charger is not designed with lithium in mind, but the 'gel' or 'lead-acid' settings are kind of OK for lithium in that they won't damage the lithium battery, even if they don't fully charge it. It's better to just disable the EBL charger and wire a lithium compatible battery charger separately, I think. Depends a lot on how often you are on EHU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think the Apuljack upgrade only changes the mains charger. The connection while charging on the move will still be straight off the alternator. So many would say you still need a B2B.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back