Ebers (1 Viewer)

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Hi I have a 2005 Hymer starline 660 ( merc 316 cdi engine) which is fitted with a what I believe to be a Eberspaecher heater in the left hand bottom corner of the engine bay ( I am unable to get any info off it as I would need to remove it first but basically it is oblong in shape and has 2 x black hoses coming out of the top a wiring loom/ plug and diesel fuel line plus an. Exhaust pipe coming out of the bottom)
I do not have a vehicle user manual and I can't see what operates it, can any one give me any advice, as the last van I had was fitted with a proper switch and timer and I do not believe one has been removed from this van
Any advice appreciate
Sorry I some how managed to post this before I had finished typing title and unable to edit title

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have an 07 S class fitted with what sounds very similar

I am also slightly unclear how it works, but we have a switch next to steering wheel, symbol similar to heated rear window and a red light comes on. All I thinks ours does is to boost the internal heating when the engine is running

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
The 2 black hoses carry water. The eber heats the water, with its internal pump it circulates the water. This can be used to warm the engine, or via a radiator and fan produce warm air, or heat a tank of hot water ( think hot water cylinder and home central heating). Depending on use as to what controls and thermostats. Very cheap to run in fuel terms, can be power thirsty on startup and shut down. Great for winter but close neighbours may not appreciate them in summer .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Some what of a guess but this is how many of these types of heater work...

No obvious controls, heater will switch on automatically when the ambient temperature is below about 5 degrees C and the engine is cold. It is fitted to speed up the engine warm-up in cold weather thus helping fuel economy and reducing emissions. On some vehicles it is possible to have an 'add-on' to this which will circulate the warmed water through the cab heater matrix and run the cab heater fan to provide heating in the cab area prior to engine start, I'm not sure whether Mercedes offered this option or whether an after market supplier has produced a kit to enable it.

Rod

OP
OP
mickymouse
Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Thanks for the replies goys I think rod...vw may have the answer as only normal controls in the cab tied to add a phot of controls but so far unable to on my iPad

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We have a 2004 Starline 680, we have an ebers factory fitted. To operate it press the switch with the wavy lines on it, should be in the same cluster as the air con and rest buttons. It will only work with the engine running. As said earlier it will provide extra heat to the engine water jacket. It takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to fire up., it will sound like a jet engine when up to speed.

We had a retrofit controller added so it will run without the engine running, provides cab heat and a pre-warming prior to starting up. Attached info on retrofit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Sprinter Upgrade kit 24 0212 00 00 00.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 22

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back