EASYLIFT HYDRATRAIL IN EUROPE (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I've had a hydrotrail for 8 years with a motorbike on it and traveled over 20,000 miles with in on. Only problems I've had is tyre wear is higher than normal and had to have some welding done as the roads in Italy were terrible. Never been stopped or asked questions by the law.
I would purchase again if I didn't have one, great when you head down the wrong road as you just select reverse and allow for the extra length do jack knifing as it goes where you do.
Just make sure you use six straps to hole the bike on.
Will be using it again this year in Spain, but has been used all across Europe.

Hope this helps you.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
I am in a bit of a predicament. I have a small classic motorcycle, the greatest bike in the world the Honda C90 Supercub, which we will be taking across Europe this summer, France, Switzerland, Italy possibly Greece. Sometimes I ride the bike whilst my wife follows me in the motorhome. I want tailer for it. Last year I used a Dave Cooper bike rack but it’s right on the limit of the rear axle weight and a nuisance to load. My choices are Hydrolift, side load trailer (an Armitage or CMB trailer, or even a collapsible MotoLug.

Every option has a merit but also a disadvantage. I’m torn on which one to select. There could be times when the bike is off the vanand there will be a time as we will have the van parked upfor a couple of months so a collapsible or stackable side load has advantages. I just don’t know what to choose. Help?????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
ADJF, if it helps, the Hydratrail breakdown into several parts so it too can be stored easily.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I am in a bit of a predicament. I have a small classic motorcycle, the greatest bike in the world the Honda C90 Supercub, which we will be taking across Europe this summer, France, Switzerland, Italy possibly Greece. Sometimes I ride the bike whilst my wife follows me in the motorhome. I want tailer for it. Last year I used a Dave Cooper bike rack but it’s right on the limit of the rear axle weight and a nuisance to load. My choices are Hydrolift, side load trailer (an Armitage or CMB trailer, or even a collapsible MotoLug.

Every option has a merit but also a disadvantage. I’m torn on which one to select. There could be times when the bike is off the vanand there will be a time as we will have the van parked upfor a couple of months so a collapsible or stackable side load has advantages. I just don’t know what to choose. Help?????

I'd avoid the MotoLug after owning one. They are incredibly heavy (if you intend to carry one dismantled) and should not be towed if not loaded.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Something to bear in mind is that if you are just overnighting and the pitch isn't long enough to fit on without uncoupling the trailer then you will have to unload the bike first. With a side loading trailer you don't have to. I had a Hydratrail and now have an Armitage SLT which I prefer.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Many thanks. I am on the look out for a good Armitage or CMF. I’m trying to find a good used model

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
I've had a hydrotrail for 8 years with a motorbike on it and traveled over 20,000 miles with in on. Only problems I've had is tyre wear is higher than normal and had to have some welding done as the roads in Italy were terrible. Never been stopped or asked questions by the law.
I would purchase again if I didn't have one, great when you head down the wrong road as you just select reverse and allow for the extra length do jack knifing as it goes where you do.
Just make sure you use six straps to hole the bike on.
Will be using it again this year in Spain, but has been used all across Europe.

Hope this helps you.
Not sure what mileage you are getting out of tyres, but when I picked mine up from Loughborough, the inventor/builder advised me to make sure the friction bands were as stiff as possible but still able to turn or they would "feather" in use and wear the tyres more quickly.

nar53

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2008
Hi Has anyone here used this trailer with an Piaggio MP3 scooter? I've been in touch with the manufacturer and he says he's built a three wheeler version, in fact he sent me photo's of it.
3 wheeler.jpg

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Always found Anthony (builder and designer of Hydratail) both helpful and caring. Only sold mine as we now have two dogs and even I will have problems carrying them an a scooter.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I had one for use with my MP3 scooter. Worked reasonably well with our Frankia, however when we swapped to a Dethleffs the long rear overhang and light chassis meant that the trailer was unable to lift the scooterso we sold it and bought a side loading Armitage.

nar53

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2008
I had one for use with my MP3 scooter. Worked reasonably well with our Frankia, however when we swapped to a Dethleffs the long rear overhang and light chassis meant that the trailer was unable to lift the scooterso we sold it and bought a side loading Armitage.

H'mm thats interesting & not something I would've thought about. We have an old (95) 7mtr Chausson on the AlKo Chassis. We currently pull a Toyota IQ behind us on an A Frame (Sorry A Frame Haters) but now that our teenage son doesn't want to travel with us anymore we want something more compact & easier to handle. Due to my mobility problems we do need alternative transport otherwise we'll have to throw the towel in & go tin tent but neither of us want to do that.

Any idea why the long overhang makes the trailer unable to lift the MP3, which I know are heavy?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The MP3 we have is the 500cc which weighs 260kg. When trying to jack it up, due to the position of the jack there is a tendency to lift the back of the van which is probably lighter than the trailer+scooter. It wouldn't even get it off the ground. As I've also pointed out elsewhere if you want to disconnect the trailer from the van you have to unload the scooter first. With a side loading trailer you don't.

nar53

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2008
The MP3 we have is the 500cc which weighs 260kg. When trying to jack it up, due to the position of the jack there is a tendency to lift the back of the van which is probably lighter than the trailer+scooter. It wouldn't even get it off the ground. As I've also pointed out elsewhere if you want to disconnect the trailer from the van you have to unload the scooter first. With a side loading trailer you don't.
Thank you. A lot to think about. we probably won't make a decision for a while at least not until this virus stuff has calmed down.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I'm well practiced in reversing trailers but surely the shortness of a side loader would make it very difficult.

nar53

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2008
I'm well practiced in reversing trailers but surely the shortness of a side loader would make it very difficult.
I'm pretty much the same, big trailers no problem, but little short trailers that I can't see are a nightmare.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As you and I both know, the longer the "tractor" unit and the shorter the trailer the more difficult it is to reverse but not impossible if done with care. I'm sure that as a driver you will never have had to abandon a reversing procedure, that was my point.
As regards lack of light I find that the rear+reversing light give me enough illumination.
Having had both I find that the advantages of a side loading trailer exceed the single advantage of a Hydratrail.

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
Got one in the garage at home which will probably appear in the classifieds section soon because we’re not using it (assuming I get my arse in gear). Will come with complete replacement spare wheel unit, a spare wheel, loading ramp etc.
Let me know when and if please? Picking up my 'new to me' Charisma next week.... Will be handy for the GSA

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
Let me know when and if please? Picking up my 'new to me' Charisma next week.... Will be handy for the GSA
assuming he meant a Hydratrail, best check the capacity. My Easylifter is only rated to 250 kg. I think your GSA might top that.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
assuming he meant a Hydratrail, best check the capacity. My Easylifter is only rated to 250 kg. I think your GSA might top that.

As long as he doesn't put fuel in it he should just about be ok! ?

Ian

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Hydratrail getting a pasting on ‘face ache’ , Hymer owners group reporting problems and failures!

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Ninjabob, I’m not sure but I think your link to Facebook won’t work because it’s a members only group.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
New post on another uk forum , about a catastrophic failure when carrying a couple of e bikes .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back