Easy battery charging arrangement. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
To save the faff of getting into the battery locations with a spanner or screwdriver I bought a cig lighter plug and soldered miniature croc clips to the flying lead. These clip onto the existing larger croc clips of the battery charger.

Insulated connectors.jpg

Leisure battery socket disconnected.JPG

Leisure battery socket.jpg

Cab cig lighter socket 2.jpg

In seconds I can read the state of charge of each battery when parked by plugging in one of these (£5) voltage indicators which also indicates the charging voltage at the cab and the leisure battery on EHU and when driving.

1667482831375.png

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Too much exposed metalwork for my liking :(
As a one-off to get out of a hole, ok, but as a regular use thing, that is a big no-no for me :cautious:

If you want adaptability, cut the battery charger DC cables somewhere away from the original Croc-Clips and fit an Anderson connector each side so you can use the croc-clips. You can then make a 12V socket to Anderson lead and use that instead when you want to use a 12V socket.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Too Heath Robinson for my liking. As said above to much exposed connectors..Sorry.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Too much exposed metalwork for my liking :(

Too Heath Robinson for my liking. As said above to much exposed connectors..Sorry.

I taught Heath Robinson all he knew. I don't have the patience for perfection, besides it's only 12v and fused at 10amps so it's not exactly dangerous.

If you want adaptability, cut the battery charger DC cables somewhere away from the original Croc-Clips and fit an Anderson connector each side so you can use the croc-clips. You can then make a 12V socket to Anderson lead and use that instead when you want to use a 12V socket.

I didn't want to cut off the charger's connectors at the mo because I will need them when charging my other batteries at their terminal posts but I have in mind to fit m & f Anderson connectors, when I get around to it one day. ;) In the meantime it saves me faffing about excavating to reach the batteries for a top up charge when in my drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I taught Heath Robinson all he knew. I don't have the patience for perfection, besides it's only 12v and fused at 10amps so it's not exactly dangerous.

I didn't want to cut off the charger's connectors at the mo because I will need them when charging my other batteries at their terminal posts but I have in mind to fit m & f Anderson connectors, when I get around to it one day. ;) In the meantime it saves me faffing about excavating to reach the batteries for a top up charge when in my drive.
keep a good selection of fuses handy :)
Not dangerous, just looks incredibly messy (sorry, but it does :( )

I did a similar thing as I suggest with my RAC900 Tyre Inflator which comes with Croc Clips. Cut the cable and fitted 50A Anderson Connectors on each cut cable. Added a permanent Lead on a +12V battery supply with an Anderson Connector so I just use the connector for a reliable and safe connection for regular use and I still have the Croc-Clip option if I want to use the Inflator elsewhere.
I also have a 12V Plugs with Anderson Connectors on so also have that option as well.

Took maybe 30 minutes and cost under a tenner.

PS. Anderson connectors aren't M & F. They are Hermaphrodite :D

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
keep a good selection of fuses handy :)
I always have plenty of fuses! ;)
Not dangerous, just looks incredibly messy (sorry, but it does :( )
I'm not fussy about how it looks or winning the Wetherspoons 'Battery Connector of the Year' award.
I did a similar thing as I suggest with my RAC900 Tyre Inflator which comes with Croc Clips. Cut the cable and fitted 50A Anderson Connectors on each cut cable. Added a permanent Lead on a +12V battery supply with an Anderson Connector so I just use the connector for a reliable and safe connection for regular use and I still have the Croc-Clip option if I want to use the Inflator elsewhere.
(y)
I did the same sort of thing 4 years ago for inflating the tyres of my vintage motorbikes!

2018-04-10 009.JPG

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Even more boring... many charger manufacturers have an in-line plug and socket, for exactly this purpose. You can disconnect the croc clips and attach a cigarette-lighter plug, or socket. Also you can attach a plug to the battery on a short lead, with standard eyelets on the end, So you can connect and disconnect the charger instantly.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a standard plug and socket for these accessories, so different manufacturers have different versions. I have a CTEK charger and attachments, but Victron, Optimate and some others do a similar thing.

comfort_croc.jpgcomfort-cigsocket.jpgcomfort_cigplug.JPGcomfort-eyelet.jpg

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Even more boring... many charger manufacturers have an in-line plug and socket, for exactly this purpose. You can disconnect the croc clips and attach a cigarette-lighter plug, or socket. Also you can attach a plug to the battery on a short lead, with standard eyelets on the end, So you can connect and disconnect the charger instantly.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a standard plug and socket for these accessories, so different manufacturers have different versions. I have a CTEK charger and attachments, but Victron, Optimate and some others do a similar thing.

View attachment 684783View attachment 684784View attachment 684785View attachment 684786
Where did you get the CTEK to 12v socket and plug adaptors?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Where did you get the CTEK to 12v socket and plug adaptors?
A few years ago while working in Germany, from Conrad, my favourite shop. But you can get them anywhere, just google CTEK charger accessories, CTEK charger cigarette lighter socket adapter, etc.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Why not simply plug the van in, instead of plugging the battery charger in?
Do all motorhomes charge the starter battery (or leisure batteries) when plugged in? One thing I've noticed since being on here - some motorhomes have very different set ups depending on age/make/model

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Do all motorhomes charge the starter battery (or leisure batteries) when plugged in? One thing I've noticed since being on here - some motorhomes have very different set ups depending on age/make/model
Many do, they ALL do with one of these:-

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I like the concept and ideas behind what the OP has done. I'm sure that 'whoever' came up with the idea is also competent enough to realise the dangers with it, without being reminded of them!!

Not something I would do myself but thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Why not simply plug the van in, instead of plugging the battery charger in?

My built-in charger doesn't charge the cab battery. In dry weather I do plug the m/h into the waterproof 13amp socket in my drive using a 50cm (non waterproof) 13amp plug to EHU socket adapter lead and then plug the Halfords charger into one of the 13amp m/h sockets. However, it means keeping an eye on the weather.

Many do, they ALL do with one of these:-

Fine, but I'd miss spending manshed time faffing about with soldering iron and wire cutters doing important manstuff.

Even more boring... many charger manufacturers have an in-line plug and socket, for exactly this purpose.

Indeed, but having already put the bins out and cut my toenails it was an impulse project putting it together 'experimentally' to prove the principle from bits under the bench on a boring wet day. I may refine it with proper connectors one day............in due course.......... sooner or later........mañana ........ (or not. ;)).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
My built-in charger doesn't charge the cab battery. In dry weather I do plug the m/h into the waterproof 13amp socket in my drive using a 50cm (non waterproof) 13amp plug to EHU socket adapter lead and then plug the Halfords charger into one of the 13amp m/h sockets. However, it means keeping an eye on the weather.

Fine, but I'd miss spending manshed time faffing about with soldering iron and wire cutters doing important manstuff.

Indeed, but having already put the bins out and cut my toenails it was an impulse project putting it together 'experimentally' to prove the principle from bits under the bench on a boring wet day. I may refine it with proper connectors one day............in due course.......... sooner or later........mañana ........ (or not. ;)).
Hi Spriddler, you say it is fused protected at 10 amps, that is the van side of the circuit, but what happens to the charger if the leads are accidently connected together?

Geoff

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
...... what happens to the charger if the leads are accidently connected together?
Same as when I'm using it any other way as the 12v output has its own internal fuse. (y)
The three pin plug on the 240v input side is also fused as normal.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
There is a man who revels in his randomness I reckon. I am disappointed not to see a few short length of wires joined together by twisting and secured by clothes pegs just to finish it off :)
Could also save on some wiring by connecting the battery -ve to the 240V PE. Then wire the charger -ve to the chargers mains lead PE pin and only need one croc-clip :). There's something to try after coming back from the Pub?

There is a saying ..... "if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing ....." Well? Properly? Badly? Down to the individual to chose his own path I guess.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I am disappointed not to see a few short length of wires joined together by twisting and secured by clothes pegs just to finish it off :)
Funny you should say that, but I tend to keep the manshed door closed when I'm prototyping my amazing innovations in order to keep them hidden from the Chinese industrial spies lurking in the rhododendrons. 🤫

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back