Easier to buy a camper for touring Europe in Europe? (1 Viewer)

Andy-the-Bruce

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
Here's a nifty idea. Rather than buy a van in the UK and have to come back to sort out MOT's and have to get expensive full timer insurance on a van that must be a certain age or below, etc., how about I apply for residency somewhere (Italy preferably) then buy a camper there and do insurance the regular way (I'm assuming continental Europe has car insurance that covers you in at least some other European countries as standard)?

Any flaws in that fine plan? I expect costs will come into it somewhere but these aren't necessarily a limiting factor.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think to apply for residency, you will actually have to reside there in a fixed address not a MH
Quote:
Moreover, you will have to apply for a declaration that you are changing residence. This is required for payment of the TARI, which is the tax that covers the costs of collecting and disposing of waste in the municipalities. This means that you will need some extra information, such as your tax code (codice fiscale), your property’s surface area (in square metres) and the date when you bought or rented it.

After that, a town hall officer will check that your declaration is true: he or she will come to check that you’re actually living there.
https://www.gate-away.com/news/expert-apply-for-residency-italy/

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I looked into this some time ago as our son lives in Germany. You will require a local driving licence as its illegal to drive a foreign registered vehicle with a UK licence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Wherever you buy it will still need equivalent of MOT , residency , licence ,etc so will require return to somewhere . Insurance in all EU countries cover you in the others , but length of time would most likely be stumbling block everywhere, Trying to sidestep legalities , is not as easy as it was once .

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I looked into this some time ago as our son lives in Germany. You will require a local driving licence as its illegal to drive a foreign registered vehicle with a UK licence.
It’s illegal for a UK resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK. If you become resident in another EU country, your UK licence is still valid, and you can drive vehicles registered in your country of residence with your UK licence.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It’s illegal for a UK resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK. If you become resident in another EU country, your UK licence is still valid, and you can drive vehicles registered in your country of residence with your UK licence.

Only for a limited period. Once you are resident, you are required to hold a local licence. Many in Spain have recently caught a cold with this one.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Only for a limited period. Once you are resident, you are required to hold a local licence. Many in Spain have recently caught a cold with this one.

That may be true in some circumstances in Spain, but it’s not the case in France: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1757

“If you reside in France with a driving license issued by a country belonging to the European Union or party to the agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA), this license is valid in France if:

it is valid,
and it is used in accordance with the medical statements listed therein (examples: mandatory wearing of glasses, fitting of the vehicle to accommodate a disability).”

OP
OP
Andy-the-Bruce

Andy-the-Bruce

Free Member
Apr 17, 2018
Funster No
sorry for not returning to this one sooner, it has been a bit hectic here. Those are all good points and thanks for your input.

We are now actually considering buying a house as a restoration project in Italy and having a small camper to tour in and that would help on the residency front I'm sure. I don't plan to come back to live in the UK for quite a bit so I'm prepared to make big changes and jump through all the hoops to do whatever is needed.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Very good luck and good on you for checking out how to stay legal in advance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back