E bikes. Best folding please for comfort. (2 Viewers)

Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi all
probably been asked a million times before but is a minefield out there. We are after 2 folders with a price of around £2500 Each. Problem we have is so many are not in stock to try out. We want to get it right due to the cost of them so we are after, in this order, comfort,lightweight,ease of use.
thank You in advance
Karen.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We are looking for two ebikes as well, initially we looked at secondhand ones that you might see on EBay and the like. However there is a catch in that the manufactures warranties are not transferable to a second owner, so a premature battery or motor failure could cost you dear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Make sure you test the bikes before you buy. My wife flatly refused anything with small wheels due to the lack of stability whilst riding.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
We have 2 Wisper 806SEs - folders, but they go in the van garage assembled , just the saddles dropped slightly on one. With hindsight I’m not sure I’d get folding ones again with a garage.
We have 2 Wispers in our garage. All I need to do is fold the handlebars down. Brilliant bikes, and a lot less than £5k!

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Are Brompton just for the city.
I once did a 2 week tour in a mountainous part of Mercia in Spain averaging about 50 miles a day and one couple did the tour on Brompton bikes (not electric) so I would think they are pretty good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
We are looking for two ebikes as well, initially we looked at secondhand ones that you might see on EBay and the like. However there is a catch in that the manufactures warranties are not transferable to a second owner, so a premature battery or motor failure could cost you dear.
We did too. Decided to splash out on new.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Decathlon sell a folding electric bike for around £700 which several magazines/websites have recommended.

Yes that's the introductory end of the market but they are well equipped and, coming from Decathlon, there is a store in every major city. After sales service is reportedly excellent too, including warranty claims.

Bear that in mind when 'your' expensive but thinly supported niche brand has a fault and you're away from home, maybe even abroad. At best you'll be referred back to the supplying dealer, at worst the supplying dealer will have closed down.

I've got 2 of these for sale and they are pretty much like new, one black,one White they have only done about 20 miles each.PM me if interested £400 each.Folding BTwin all Aluminium easy to fold and really good epower,check them out on the Decathlon website although I believe they are out of stock and will probably be more expensive when they do come back in stock.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Take a look at GoCycle, only 16kg and automatic gears. Very easy and comfortable to ride, it also talks to a phone app that allows you to programme how much effort you want the battery to contribute. My wife is a very hesitant cyclist and this is the first bike she has been really happy with. The power comes in and goes out gently so you always feel in control. As soon as you pull up it automatically selects 1st gear so you are ready to pull away again.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have gone through a similar process, it took us almost 6 months to find the right bikes. We wanted two so that the batteries were interchangeable and only had to carry a single charger etc... We wanted to try out the bikes before committing so we had to be prepared to travel, and speaking to people on sites whenever we saw a bike model we had not looked at.

The issue was myself, as I wanted a folder that would allow me to have an upright riding position, so wanted a slightly larger frame bike with adjustable everything. Also wanted decent power delivery and gearing to assist up hills and solidly built.

Did find the bike shop at Rutland very helpful (not the Giant outlet), but we stopped at every bike shop just in case made a few special trips but always spoke to the outlet first to ensure they had an actual bike in the shop.

We ended up with Volt Axis Shimano Steps bikes so far very happy with, when we started looking they had been announced but not actually made available, so had wait for them. There were a couple of models we just could not get access to such as Hercules.

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We looked around quite a lot before purchasing our 2 ebikes from Halfords. We bought the Carrera Cross City at £850 each and they have been fantastic for us.

Internal to the the Alloy frame battery, the battery also locks into the frame. Shimano 8 speed gears and 3 power battery so giving 24 differ drive choices. Folding is a doddle and very quick although all i need to do to get both in the moho garage is to fold the handlebars and lower the seat, takes less than 10 secs.

We paid £80 for 3 years extra cover and all wheels filled with green gunge to help prevent punctures, we changed the saddles for extra comfy Gel ones btw and they really have made a massive difference

So far we cannot fault them

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Make sure you test the bikes before you buy. My wife flatly refused anything with small wheels due to the lack of stability whilst riding.
That's the very reason we changed from 20" wheels to 26"wheels. Rita wasn't overly confident on the smaller wheels. These were two smaller folders from AS Bikes of Coventry. Peter and his family are extremely helpful, and their after sales service is second to none. Even though Peter was well aware that we bought them second hand, his customer service was extended to us. 👍 He will not let you buy from him at any of the Shows, without trying them out first.
As a result, we bought another two folders from AS, but with 26" wheels, which Rita feels so much more confident on. The batteries are interchangeable, which can be recharged through an inverter, (pure or quasi sine wave according to Peter), without damaging the batteries We are not serious cyclists, so these bikes meet our needs, ie, getting about and weekly shopping when pitched for several weeks. I had a problem with the centre crank in mine, identified by Peter as an oversight during assembly, which he apologised for. As I am handy with a set of tools, he sent me the replacement parts, which I fitted myself.
When on long stay in Spain, we have them serviced for about €25 each + any parts needed, (none to date).

They are not the expensive brands mentioned above, nor do they have Bosch motors, but for our type of usage and budget, they fit the bill nicely. 👍

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
We have gone through a similar process, it took us almost 6 months to find the right bikes. We wanted two so that the batteries were interchangeable and only had to carry a single charger etc... We wanted to try out the bikes before committing so we had to be prepared to travel, and speaking to people on sites whenever we saw a bike model we had not looked at.

The issue was myself, as I wanted a folder that would allow me to have an upright riding position, so wanted a slightly larger frame bike with adjustable everything. Also wanted decent power delivery and gearing to assist up hills and solidly built.

Did find the bike shop at Rutland very helpful (not the Giant outlet), but we stopped at every bike shop just in case made a few special trips but always spoke to the outlet first to ensure they had an actual bike in the shop.

We ended up with Volt Axis Shimano Steps bikes so far very happy with, when we started looking they had been announced but not actually made available, so had wait for them. There were a couple of models we just could not get access to such as Hercules.
This is the first bike that we wanted. I read a couple of reviews about being really diffic to pedal when no power. Have you found this.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
This is the first bike that we wanted. I read a couple of reviews about being really diffic to pedal when no power. Have you found this.
I certainly found that to be the case with the G-Tech E Bikes we tried out at their HQ in Worcestershire. It was only one ratio, and when the battery power was off, it became very clear that we would struggle, especially going uphill. ☹️
I've only seen a couple of those in use since, so not popular.

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
I got 2 Raleigh-Stow-e-Way last year and been pleased with them. Did change the saddles as we found original uncomfortable. I bought mine from local independant bike shop linked address is for info only.

https://urbanebikes.com/products/raleigh-stow-e-way

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
With that budget, i would only look at Brompton Electric.........expensive but have a great reputation, British brand and decent aftersales, or so i have heard! I have two Decathlon Folding E Bikes, £1500 the pair, but if i had the dosh i think i would still fork out for Bromptons.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had non-electric Bromptons (3 speed) and they were great, best folding bikes we've ever had and it's amazing how small they fold and the design is fantastic, however it really depends on the usage you're gonna make of the bikes as to whether the smaller wheels will be okay, whilst you can go on tracks etc I wouldn't want to do much 'off roading' with them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
We've had non-electric Bromptons (3 speed) and they were great, best folding bikes we've ever had and it's amazing how small they fold and the design is fantastic, however it really depends on the usage you're gonna make of the bikes as to whether the smaller wheels will be okay, whilst you can go on tracks etc I wouldn't want to do much 'off roading' with them.
That’s what I was thinking about Bromptons. They do look more road bike like. While I certainly won’t be off roading I will do a lot of cabal paths due to pulling my dog in a trailer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
That’s what I was thinking about Bromptons. They do look more road bike like. While I certainly won’t be off roading I will do a lot of cabal paths due to pulling my dog in a trailer.
Canal *

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Nope, in fact only put it in electric when a hill appears or want to get home/bar. Controls are incredibly easy to use and access, we added folding pedals and changed the seats.

Biggest flaw is the rack oddly shaped and designed so that little fits easily 🤬. We have panniers and a small rack bag but would like something neater 🤔, may have to change the rack.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Whisper 806

Attachments

• IMG_9493.JPG
    IMG_9493.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0

Loopyloo

Free Member
Dec 31, 2019
Belfast
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
I got this Lectro Easy Step folding bike, I've just come back from 2 wks away using it for the first time and loved it. Battery life seems good, it's comfortable to ride, doesn't feel heavy without pedal assist on and tyres are a little bit thicker than some. It doesn't fold as neatly as a Brompton and would be heavier but fits perfectly strapped in our garage. It cost £1000🚲

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200812_092851.jpg
    Screenshot_20200812_092851.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
We have been riding our Bromptons for more than 10 years. They ride like normal bikes. Fold up easily and small. Originally bought to go on our boat, But they also fit in the garage of our van. I have done over a 1000 miles on mine, so i know how good they are. Much more than a city commuter.
I fitted electric kits (nano) to both of ours, which is similar to the Brompton electric. You only need 2 gears with the motor. I do anyway.
Look on their website for dealers.
I don’t have any experience of their competitors.
Made in the UK

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2020
Paulton
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 685
Exp
Since 2012, Tugger for previous 20 odd years
We bought an EZEGO Fold 2019 for my wife. It is easy to ride even without electric but with she zooms by me on the hills, having small wheels she cant go as fast on the flat though. Rrp about a £1000 and, in her opinion, well worth it. Battery life is great too -better than 3 times my Freego Hawk.

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
I've got to ask why you are wanting to spend so much (£5,000) on 2 bikes? Have you had any e-bikes before?

If not then you might be wise to reconsider as that's a high budget for 'first timers' as some people just don't take to them.
£200 just the job
623A23E5-AF33-4F65-85B8-ABC537FE4772.jpeg
We bought an EZEGO Fold 2019 for my wife. It is easy to ride even without electric but with she zooms by me on the hills, having small wheels she cant go as fast on the flat though. Rrp about a £1000 and, in her opinion, well worth it. Battery life is great too -better than 3 times my Freego Hawk.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2020
Hungerford, West Berks.
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo 04
Exp
30+ years
Two Bromptons, light weight, take on bus or train, inside van or on rack, brilliant little bikes. Converted mine to Electric and now does everything without effort. Wife still pedals!! Brompton now have their own electric which has very good reports.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing to watch out for with small wheeled ones is the size of the chain ring, ie the large 'cog' the pedals attach to, ideally you need 48 teeth minimum otherwise you could find your little legs going nuts trying to pedal to keep up with the motor, some only have 42 or 44 which IMV isn't enough.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I like the idea of the Brompton, as they have such good reports! The only thing is, they have have very small wheels, & I have been quite unstable on small wheeled bikes before! How do they cope with rough tracks, like the stone ones in Spain, for instance? Does everyone that owns a Brompton stay on tarmac?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
GoCycle no chain, no sprockets and no idea what connects the pedals to the wheels. All inside the frame.

Upvote 0

Joynel

Free Member
Aug 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria SLplus
Exp
since 2016
I'm new here (Hello) spotted the thread about someone looking for a comfy folding EB and we have something that might be interesting.

We've had these for about a year, using them on the road but more commonly on forest moutainbike trails and they've proven to have a massive range and be very comfy (after adding a plumper seat that and proper mud guards) as they have full suspension front and rear, full size wheels etc.....but they FOLD :)

I'd not suggest they have the build quality of the £2500 ones, but we've abused them through trails and then powerwashed the mud off and they're still alive.

You can find them all over the place with different names, ours are SamEbike and are the 48v 500w version. If you're prepared to wait a month they're about £650 from China direct or around £1000 from a UK supplier.

Amazon product ASIN B084FCJ2J4

Attachments

• Screen_1.jpg
    Screen_1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries