Dyson hover (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have not had carpets in our homes for over 25 years.
Laminate flooring in every room we did have a small hover for the rugs.
The Caravan we have moved into has fitted carpet end to end.
So I went today and bough a Dyson second hand reconditioned
It had new filters and was emasculated.
It had that much suction the memsieb couldn’t push it along the floor.
Soo volunteered to have a go I had to adjust the foot so it would mover over the carpet.
When I had finished I had to check I hadn’t sucked the dog up.
I think there was enough dog her to make another dog.
Although the memsieb had vacuumed every day and it didn’t look like there was any dog hairs on the carpet.
There was a good hand full of it in the thing
Amazing bit of kit.
I am sure that it’s performance will drop of as time goes bye
But for now very happy with it
Two sided sword looking like I am stuck with the daily vacuuming
Wildbill

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We've got a +10 year old Dyson V6. The battery is shot so it can't do boost, but it'll still vacuum for a good 10 mins and suck as hard as ever. I got a Shark cordless a couple of years ago to replace if. Sure, it lasts longer and it beats the carpet a bit harder. But it's also much more bulky and the design clearly isn't as clever. The Dyson has been relegated to DIY jobs and spot spills, and it's better in the van because it's less bulky (although it still stays at home) but it is still too useful to chuck it out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As long as you clean the filters as per instructions it will be fine.

People claim they break easy but we have one we now keep for the car as it a bit too heavy, had it for years.

We have a newer lighter one in the house.
It's old enough that a few bits of plastic have gone brittle and snapped off. Something fell out of the trigger a while ago. The dust collector has a big crack where I dropped it on concrete. It gets abused. But it all still works. The extending tube and power head still wobble about less and have less play than the far newer Shark.

Just about the only bad about the V6 is the dust collector has electrical connection tabs that are in the exact spot that the grungiest of the dust bunnies collect, so when you empty it, the electrical connectors get clogged and the head stops being powered. Takes 10 seconds to fix.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Mine has a cord . It's been bounced down the stairs numerous times has a few war wounds but is still going
We've had a Dyson for years I am always amazed at how much dust and hair it collects EVERY day :giggle:(y)
EVERY DAY !!!¡!!!!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
As JRT quite rightly.says...clean the filters and they work for ever.
Lost count of family members telling how much they deteriorate then amazed when I show em.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We recently bought a vax pace pet stick vacuum, battery operated. £129.
To my surprise and delight it's just as good as our two large mains cleaners but far lighter and less effort to use. It's only drawback is it's titchy dust collector which has to be emptied every time sometimes twice due to the huge quantity of dog hair..

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Mrs CC has her beast of a 240v mains one and despite all its efforts to kill me it is still going ok😳😳😳

Also have a cordless for the house and one in the van, they are pretty tame compared to the mains one😢😢

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Had them all over the years , Vax, Dyson , Bosch, Hoover, et al

Now have a Henry .. had it for about 5 years .. best machine ever built .. and it is still made in the UK ..

Go into any office block or hotel and see what the cleaners are using... I bet it's a Henry

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Now have a Henry .. had it for about 5 years .. best machine ever built .. and it is still made in the UK ..
Have one in my garage and had him over 15 years.
Call him Spartacus now as I thought I had killed him by sucking up loads of water he then blew his top with loads of smoke coming out😳😳
Tried him a year later and he was still alive 😁😁

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
We've got a +10 year old Dyson V6. The battery is shot so it can't do boost, but it'll still vacuum for a good 10 mins and suck as hard as ever. I got a Shark cordless a couple of years ago to replace if. Sure, it lasts longer and it beats the carpet a bit harder. But it's also much more bulky and the design clearly isn't as clever. The Dyson has been relegated to DIY jobs and spot spills, and it's better in the van because it's less bulky (although it still stays at home) but it is still too useful to chuck it out.
I bought a new battery of an auction site for ours, slightly more amps and works well, im told it works well :giggle:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Had them all over the years , Vax, Dyson , Bosch, Hoover, et al

Go into any office block or hotel and see what the cleaners are using... I bet it's a Henry
They're robust. Employees can accidentally drop them down the stairs and they just bounce. But they're noisy and only good for picking up gravel. The bag means they let a lot of dust through. Cordless vacs are pretty much as powerful, often do a better job because of the powered head, and cordless is many times more convenient.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We were big fans of Dysons but have now moved to Gtech, our old Dysons all ended up at Bevs work and got used till they died, last month Bev found a local Dyson service company who came out and took five away, promising to bring at least two back working as good as new for £120, he did just that, they are amazing, he now has a few spare parts and we have working tools and a bit of space 👍

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have a mains upright Dyson Boardroom, no silly colours, its all White, as said cleaning the filters is most important, they are so easily cleaned under the tap or in a bowl of soapy water, The one in the ball is a bit more difficult to get at if you haven't done it in a while.
We also have a Henry to do the bits The Dyson struggles at, dusting up high, round the skirting board edges, and under the bed, inside the car, garage etc.
I also use The Henry to vacuum to suck the dust out of the top part of The Dyson, where the Vortex holes are, plus the filters if in a rush.
I have to regularly scrub the SS bottom plate of The Dyson Cleaning head, as this gets cacked up, making it more difficult to pull back & forth on the carpets.
The Roller Brush pulls out the end easily, to pick off those long threads that the mrs leaves when doing her needlework....Bless Her:rolleyes:
LES

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They're robust. Employees can accidentally drop them down the stairs and they just bounce. But they're noisy and only good for picking up gravel. The bag means they let a lot of dust through. Cordless vacs are pretty much as powerful, often do a better job because of the powered head, and cordless is many times more convenient.
not my experience..

1. noisy .. compared to a battery perhaps.. but never bothered me

2. only pick up gravel: nonsense.. we have a dog and it picks up hair, dust, crumbs, sewing threads, etc etc .better than any other we have owned ...

3. I do the housework, the bag and filter do not let dust through .. if they did the furniture would need dusting after using.. the Henry has a TriTex filter, what goes in, stays in, high-efficiency, innovative triple-layer advanced filtration.

4. We had a Bosch Athlet .. replaced twice under warranty .. piece of crap, kept breaking down and didn't pick up hair, and battery only lasted a short time.. .. John Lewis eventually offered us a replacement machine of our choice.. .. we chose the Henry

However, Henry is no lightweight.. If having the lightest and most compact machine is your goal, then a cordless, bagless model is probably a better choice... for serious cleaning power ..Henry all day long

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This is interesting, we had Dyson then Dyson himself went rogue shipped his HQ out of the UK etc etc so will never support or buy a product from the company again.

We use a Vax which is cheaper and very efficient it also holds itself to carpets and have to adjust the air slot to release some vacuum on some carpets. We also have Bot that runs around by itself and cleans the carpets

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The Upright Dysons are great for carpets, especially large areas, using the Henry needs a bit more effort though, the Mrs used to break into a sweat doing the bedrooms, but they are much easier to clean arround and under furniture.
Try picking up a Peanut with a Dyson upright, it just cannot do it, it swirls arround the brush head and eventually gets ejected out the side.
Just bought a complete replacement motor for the 2005 Henry, £50 from E-Spares for a genuine one, 30 minutes to swap over, once you have sussed out the detachable motor bottom plate has to be reused from the old motor and only fits one way round.:rolleyes:
Love my Henry's, have two, one permanently in the Garage for sawdust & general waste crap.
LES

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I do the housework, the bag and filter do not let dust through .. if they did the furniture would need dusting after using.. the Henry has a TriTex filter, what goes in, stays in, high-efficiency, innovative triple-layer advanced filtration.
But the bag clogs after a few uses. And then it just bypasses the filters. With a cyclone vacuum, the vast majority of even the finest dust stays in the bucket, no bag required. I've worked in a shop, they didn't even bother with the filter and the bag was often emptied rather than replaced. So dust would shoot straight out the exhaust.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Whenever we stay in a French Gite the vacuum cleaner is inevitably a Henry and it works great on hard floors which they usually have. However they are hard work on carpets IMHO.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
For the motorhome Dyson handheld.

.. brilliant with all the different bits/ accessories, but attrocious battery life, blinking crap about 12mins.

So I got a second battery, refurbed I think, and work with two batteries, spare always fully charged.

For quick change: remove and do away with the screw in the rear of the handle (position shown by the yellow marker pencil) see photo.

Loop a cable tie around the battery to hold into position tight enough to allow it to slide along for a quick change but able to hold the battery in position.

For comfort put the cable tie fastener on the opposite side from your trigger finger.

The batteries can be charged by pushing the charger connector straight into the end of the battery, I think they fully charge in 1hr.
IMG_20240329_110618.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But the bag clogs after a few uses. And then it just bypasses the filters. With a cyclone vacuum, the vast majority of even the finest dust stays in the bucket, no bag required. I've worked in a shop, they didn't even bother with the filter and the bag was often emptied rather than replaced. So dust would shoot straight out the exhaust.
Not my experience , each to their own and I know what I prefer

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I was confused by the typo in the tread title, I know we shouldn't pick up these issues but at first though they had brought out a new hovering vacuum cleaner. Coincidentally, the only hover I remember was the Hoover Constellation 'bomb'.
1711715425290.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I was confused by the typo in the tread title, I know we shouldn't pick up these issues but at first though they had brought out a new hovering vacuum cleaner. Coincidentally, the only hover I remember was the Hoover Constellation 'bomb'.
View attachment 880709
My parents had one of those

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
View attachment 880709

Remember those, my parents had one ?60's ?70's.

From memory they had a clip which you released and the top flipped open to reveal the dust bag.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We never did but a mates family did. On a hard floor you could sit in it and get a free ride.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back