DVLA turn around time, my latest experience. (1 Viewer)

Backdraft

Free Member
Aug 5, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
I keep seeing 5 weeks quoted as the DVLA's turn around time for non online applications. I'm sure that it will vary depending on what its for, registration, C1 etc. I have just up plated from 3.5T (Van Weight Engineering) and it took the DVLA exactly 25 working days to process. Working days being a misnomer as I believe DVLA have been on strike for some of that time. Hope the refund cheque is close behind.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
My recent up plate was done in a similar timescale.

the cheque for tax refund arrived the day after the V5 - although it’s still sat uncashed as I’ve not been into town to put it in the bank..

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I suggest doing some research re the DVLA, before giving them constant negative views.

This organisation employs about 6000 people, full and part time and deals with the whole country.
Their offices are huge and over the last eighteen months, have had the problem of COVID 19, which was not managed by management very well and apparently caused a great deal of discontent and stress, according to local reports. Most I believe are working from home, not I would think, as efficient as being in the office

There is a breakdown of statistics on Google, of how much work they handle in a year, which is enormous. In some instances the information they receive is not complete and will cause a delay.

Just another view, I have no connection with the DVLA, but do have some sympathy with them in the circumstances.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Backdraft

Backdraft

Free Member
Aug 5, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
I suggest doing some research re the DVLA, before giving them constant negative views.
Not sure how either MillieMoocher's or my post could be taken as negative, just a statement of fact about return times. For balance, I renewed my C licence back in Feb and they returned it in one week, but that is not up to date information.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Did they get the MAM right as they often get that wrong?
They got my MAM wrong earlier in the year. I complained using their official online complaints procedure. I got an email apology within a few days and a new, correct, V5C a few days later. Not asked to complete any more forms or return the first V5C.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
DVLA exactly 25 working days to process
But was it correct - as Lenny HB said, they often get the MAM [Section G] wrong
Mine took them three goes
although it’s still sat uncashed as I’ve not been into town to put it in the bank..
If you do online banking, many banks offer a scan cheque deposit via their app option
Or you can usually deposit via the Post Office

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It was a good move putting it all in one place and getting rid of the regional offices ? Bean counting triumph again :(

Feb 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Exp
My V5 for personally imported German camper took exactly 5 weeks from me getting her mot'd. One week before I expected to have to get grumpy. Phew.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
My C1 licence renewal has been 8 weeks now.
They did manage to cash my cheque after 4 weeks so at least the envelope has been opened.
I wonder how much longer………….

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I keep seeing 5 weeks quoted as the DVLA's turn around time for non online applications. I'm sure that it will vary depending on what its for, registration, C1 etc. I have just up plated from 3.5T (Van Weight Engineering) and it took the DVLA exactly 25 working days to process. Working days being a misnomer as I believe DVLA have been on strike for some of that time. Hope the refund cheque is close behind.
Interesting.
I assume they managed to do it just after the start of a new month.
They know when they received your request but charged you the 'car' rate for this month as opposed to the +3.5tonnes rate.
Did that to me too. I wonder if its policy.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
They got my MAM wrong earlier in the year. I complained using their official online complaints procedure. I got an email apology within a few days and a new, correct, V5C a few days later. Not asked to complete any more forms or return the first V5C.
Ha ha, you missed out .. I received an apology and a cheque for £20 recompense. Mind you they did get it wrong four times and only got it correct after the intervention of my MP.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Ha ha, you missed out .. I received an apology and a cheque for £20 recompense. Mind you they did get it wrong four times and only got it correct after the intervention of my MP.
Letters, emails, further forms and phone calls just bounce back to the original department. Formal complaints using their online system get allocated a case number and seem to get properly monitored and answered quicker. No doubt involving an MP works too but I am happy to forego the £20 to have it sorted out after 1 message.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I bought my bike on Thursday and received the V5 on the following Monday.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
With straight forward issues I have never had problems with the DVLA.

For more complex problems they have been a nightmare.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Our new van registration was submitted on the 17th May and was completed in just over 6 weeks. During that time it was impossible to get an update of any kind from them. Thankfully they did at least process it correctly, and we were good to go with our foreign-built van collection :giggle:

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Our of interest, how did you send your application to DVLA? Recorded delivery?

Cheers

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Week 13 no provisional I am utterly dismayed and have involved MP I’m sad to see all other public sectors pull out the stops during this pandemic and find ways to beat the pandemic issues for them. DVLA sorry huge fail for me. Van arriving next week I can’t drive it and I’d planned a 3 month window to get provisional, do theory and practical tests. I need my van for work too as a critical worker so logistical nightmare for me. Gutted they’ve let me down personally and the impact it’s having on so many.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back