DVLA and Licence Renewal - any suggestions (1 Viewer)

terryallan

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Being nearly 73 and a 3500kg+ motorhome driver I have been waiting for ages for a D47P from the DVLA as my current over 70s C1/D1 licence runs out on 10th Sept 2020. However, there would appear to be no way to contact the DVLA to get any response.

I have tried phone (constantly engaged), DVLA email not available just now, downloads of forms not available just now, online chat not available just now. I have even tried Twitter but was just redirected to what I have already read on the website. From the website there would seem to be no solution other than wait for a D47P.

I know some people have obtained D2 forms from the Post Office and submitted them (and D4 forms) but that is not mentioned on the website as an option. This would appear to be the only option - Quote "Before your licence runs out, DVLA will send you an ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ form (D47P). Complete the form and send it to DVLA."

I also realise that - Quote "Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you currently do not need to provide a medical report (form D4) to apply to renew your licence. If your application is successful, you’ll get a 1 year licence."

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions or practical solutions other that going to the PO for a D2?

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I think form d47p is for renewal of a Vocational licence, ie one that you have passed a seperate test for, eg hgv or bus etc.

I managed to get through on the phone to DVLA at the end of May and that is what they told me.

If you need to renew your C1/D1 obtained via 'grandfathers rights' at age 70 (or subsequent renewals) you have to go down the D2/D4 route.

As you say D2 is available at post offices but ring them first to see if they stock them. I found about 50% of our local PO's stocked them.

D4 you can print off yourself.

The D4Drivers doctor that completed mine said the printed her own from the DVLA website.

Good Luck

Barry

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think form d47p is for renewal of a Vocational licence, ie one that you have passed a seperate test for, eg hgv or bus etc.

I managed to get through on the phone to DVLA at the end of May and that is what they told me.

If you need to renew your C1/D1 obtained via 'grandfathers rights' at age 70 (or subsequent renewals) you have to go down the D2/D4 route.

As you say D2 is available at post offices but ring them first to see if they stock them. I found about 50% of our local PO's stocked them.

D4 you can print off yourself.

The D4Drivers doctor that completed mine said the printed her own from the DVLA website.

Good Luck

Barry

They have granted renewal without D4 for drivers with some categories of licence, but not for C1/C1+E if obtained by grandfather rights.

There is a provision where a licence is awaiting renewal whereby one can continue to excercise the priviliges of the licence, as far as I can see that only covers one driving in UK and I would not rely on it elsewhere.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I just renewed my class 2 hgv no medical needed, according to dvla doctors aren't doing medicals so you don't need one.
I believe it said grandfather rights were the same but only last 1 year not 3.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I just renewed my class 2 hgv no medical needed, according to dvla doctors aren't doing medicals so you don't need one.
Interesting, was it renewed for the full normal term - no idea what it is for a Class 2 HGV however?

And is the same applying to those wanting to hold on to their standard C1 once reaching the age of 70. I understand the normal renewal duration is 3 years, but are they currently waiving the medical requirement?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
There are a couple of things here:
1.The grandfather rights I believe only continues if it hasn’t lapsed - yours has as you mentioned so I am not sure you are entitled to the no medical 1 year option.
2. You can get the D2 form on line
3. You cannot get a medical from your GP right now so go the D4Drivers route. £55 plus it includes the eye test.
Once you fill in the forms and send them off I believe you are good to go whilst it is in the system although mine took less than 2 weeks to be returned.
Good luck.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have recently sent mine off, D2 from post office D4 download from DVLA web site and print and get filled in by a Doctor as normal ( whichever you use ).

they recieved and actioned it within 5 days .

sadly i got it back as the D4Drivers doctor filled in the Vision assessment incorrectly :swear2:

sent it on 10th Aug, recd back 17th Aug , so they are acting on new applications quickly.

Re sent on 20th Aug.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Interesting, was it renewed for the full normal term - no idea what it is for a Class 2 HGV however?

And is the same applying to those wanting to hold on to their standard C1 once reaching the age of 70. I understand the normal renewal duration is 3 years, but are they currently waiving the medical requirement?

Over 55 class 1 and 2 hgv is 1 year so normal for me. No mention on the attached letter about getting medical elsewhere.
Just looked at my licence and C1 now expires 2023 so they have given me 3 years on that.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Over 55 class 1 and 2 hgv is 1 year so normal for me. No mention on the attached letter about getting medical elsewhere.
Just looked at my licence and C1 now expires 2023 so they have given me 3 years on that.
If you do get the medical it is 3 years not 1 year without medical.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
My understanding is the same as yours pandas. I sent my D2&D4 off two months ago and have heard nothing - I wonder if that’s because I have medical ‘history’ or because they haven’t opened it? I suspect the latter.

I’d be interested to know when you sent yours off to get it back so quickly? How long did yours have to run, as mine was in in good time ... it ran out yesterday.
You have no medical history, I’m guessing as OH who has a clean sheet with her medial history gets hers back virtually by return of post. She is due for her 3rd post-70 renewal in October so I can see we’ll both be without a licence. I’m not bothered for UK but we do want to get away October/November.

How long can DVLA hold things up now we’re all encouraged to be going to work (as opposed to working from home)? As long as they like I fear?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I sent my licence to DVLA about a month ago, just for change of address, and before anyone says "You can do that online", I tried, but they couldn't recognise the address-( new - build)Not heard anything since......
Cheers, Dave:confused:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
My understanding is the same as yours pandas. I sent my D2&D4 off two months ago and have heard nothing - I wonder if that’s because I have medical ‘history’ or because they haven’t opened it? I suspect the latter.

I’d be interested to know when you sent yours off to get it back so quickly? How long did yours have to run, as mine was in in good time ... it ran out yesterday.
You have no medical history, I’m guessing as OH who has a clean sheet with her medial history gets hers back virtually by return of post. She is due for her 3rd post-70 renewal in October so I can see we’ll both be without a licence. I’m not bothered for UK but we do want to get away October/November.

How long can DVLA hold things up now we’re all encouraged to be going to work (as opposed to working from home)? As long as they like I fear?
[/QUOTE
I see why you are anxious; my personal take would be that even if you have a medical history you either you pass the medical or you don’t. Why not go through whoever you got the medical from and ask them the question. Also ask them if you can meanwhile drive as the form is with the DVLA. Worth a try and good luck

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
i have recently sent mine off, D2 from post office D4 download from DVLA web site and print and get filled in by a Doctor as normal ( whichever you use ).

they recieved and actioned it within 5 days .

sadly i got it back as the D4Drivers doctor filled in the Vision assessment incorrectly :swear2:

sent it on 10th Aug, recd back 17th Aug , so they are acting on new applications quickly.

Re sent on 20th Aug.

Do you/have you had medical issues or is it straightforward from that point of view?

In view of the experience of some here I’m thinking I need to chase them ... but is there any way to do that?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Do you/have you had medical issues or is it straightforward from that point of view?

In view of the experience of some here I’m thinking I need to chase them ... but is there any way to do that?
Through those that filled out the medical

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
dont think there is any way to get them on the phone right now.

this is my first 70+ application. My D4 was marked up with some medication, and ecg tests but thats it. as i said they actioned it within 5 days of receiving it .

i am hopeing it is now all fine and will come back soon.

as far as i am aware provided you condition has not changed since your last renewal and you met the medical requirements then; you can continue to drive while they have your renewal request.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Thanks pandas . This is my second renewal. First time at 70 I had to take the treadmill test because I had a stroke 13 years earlier - I passed the test with no problem. I’ve never had any problems with my heart or lungs - you’d think that while a lot of lay people don’t understand the difference between a stroke and a heart attack the medical experts at DVLA would know the difference - apparently not!! Since then the only change to my health is that I’ve got 3 years older, so that seems good to me 😄.

I got my medical from D4Drivers but I did ring my own doctor to confirm she agreed it was ok for me to drive - she was very helpful and said ‘yes, and I’ll record it in your notes’.

The only way my doctor has of knowing I’m ok is that she never sees me, but she knows I’m still alive because I keep getting my repeat prescriptions. I expect the DVLA computer still says I must be a physical wreck 16 years after having a stoke and the medics believe it. Happily, nothing could be further from the truth 😄

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
I tried for weeks to get answers about my application and got nowhere until I finally located a young lady named Catherine Parvin at DVLA I would contact her and I am sure she will sort your problem / concern. I am new to these fun procedures so how do i give you her e mail address in private ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I tried for weeks to get answers about my application and got nowhere until I finally located a young lady named Catherine Parvin at DVLA I would contact her and I am sure she will sort your problem / concern. I am new to these fun procedures so how do i give you her e mail address in private ?

you click on their avatar and then click start a conversation(y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You can PM (personal message) the person by clicking on the envelope icon by your username on the blue bar at the top. Type in the person's name and click once it shows. Then type your message.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
try this
No good. It specifically says it does not apply to C1 or D1 applications.

You can get the D2 form on line
They say it is a D2, but it links to to a D9.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you cannot print out a D2 it has inserts for a photo that cannot be replicated on print out. must be original from DVLA or post office.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I sent my licence to DVLA about a month ago, just for change of address, and before anyone says "You can do that online", I tried, but they couldn't recognise the address-( new - build)Not heard anything since......
Cheers, Dave:confused:
Got the OLD licence back yesterday with a letter saying I hadn't sent a photo with the application- funny that as if you apply on line they don't need a photo.
So I put a pic in and sent it back.
Lets see how long it takes this time. Hopefully before November, as it runs out then!!!!
Cheers, Dave:unsure:

Aug 9, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
I'm a newbie
davejen I wish you good luck.
I applied on line on 10th May 2020 as I turned 70 on July 7th , if you insert your passport No you don't require a photo. I recieved acknowledgment they had recieved and it so waited for my replacement. Early July I phoned DVLA to ask what was going on and told not to worry , On 6th July letter arrived ( hurray my licence ) NO, NO, NO
It was my form that I'd sent them badly defaced, / torn I contacted them to be told by a cheeky git I must have damaged it, he sent me another form. I filled it in added a photo, gave my passport No and sent it off registered mail. Not recieved by DVLA so sent another application 1st class not recieved by DVLA .Finally got in touch with Catherine Parvin @ DVLA who sent me another form , I completed it enclosed a photo , passport No and had my ID authenticated by a Police Officer I sent it to Catherine who sent my renewed licence within 2 days early August . After many calls and E mails I received £4 worth of stamps from Royal Mail as I fought for compensation ( I'd spent £12.00 on photos and approx £4.00 on postage ) I complained again but got no reply , just starting to calm down when today I received a letter from DVLA ( my registered mail application ) returned even though it is stamped recieved by DVLA 8th July I dated it and posted it the 6th July reason for return my online application ( they send you a form to complete ) was not returned within 4 weeks, it was actually returned within 4 days in May ????
DVLA and Royal Mail make very good partnership, I have to renew my licence in 3 years time I'd better start applying now.
Best of luck to all funsters who at present have issues with DVLA

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I managed to contact DVLA today. The only way I could do it was using their webchat - they couldn't accept emails for my situation??!!

After much explanation I was informed that it was probably with the medical department and they gave me a number to ring. Incredibly I got to speak to a person after only about 15 minutes of hanging on/press this/press that etc.

The upshot is that they received it on 20th June [I knew that from recorded delivery], it was scanned in on 6th July then passed to the medical people on 8th August. [Why look at it then not pass it on to the relevant department for a further month?] My licence ran out on 23rd August.

I explained that I need to travel abroad in October and won't return till after New Year, so with Brexit I will need to get an international driving licence before I go. I explained that last time they wanted me to take a medical test, and while nothing has changed since 3 years ago I was concerned they may want me to do the same again, which would all take time if they do.

I was told they couldn't give me any timescale whatsoever! After much prompting [I try not to 'go on' and I know it's not the fault of the individual on the phone] he did say he would put that it was urgent on my notes. I live in hope, though not much. Meantime my life will remains on hold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back