DVLA and Licence Renewal - any suggestions (1 Viewer)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
davejen I wish you good luck.
I applied on line on 10th May 2020 as I turned 70 on July 7th , if you insert your passport No you don't require a photo. I recieved acknowledgment they had recieved and it so waited for my replacement. Early July I phoned DVLA to ask what was going on and told not to worry , On 6th July letter arrived ( hurray my licence ) NO, NO, NO
It was my form that I'd sent them badly defaced, / torn I contacted them to be told by a cheeky git I must have damaged it, he sent me another form. I filled it in added a photo, gave my passport No and sent it off registered mail. Not recieved by DVLA so sent another application 1st class not recieved by DVLA .Finally got in touch with Catherine Parvin @ DVLA who sent me another form , I completed it enclosed a photo , passport No and had my ID authenticated by a Police Officer I sent it to Catherine who sent my renewed licence within 2 days early August . After many calls and E mails I received £4 worth of stamps from Royal Mail as I fought for compensation ( I'd spent £12.00 on photos and approx £4.00 on postage ) I complained again but got no reply , just starting to calm down when today I received a letter from DVLA ( my registered mail application ) returned even though it is stamped recieved by DVLA 8th July I dated it and posted it the 6th July reason for return my online application ( they send you a form to complete ) was not returned within 4 weeks, it was actually returned within 4 days in May ????
DVLA and Royal Mail make very good partnership, I have to renew my licence in 3 years time I'd better start applying now.
Best of luck to all funsters who at present have issues with DVLA
I received a letter today from DVLA saying my application has been passed to the medical section - I am not sure why as I am only informing them of change of address and it c Ould take another few weeks to be returned......
I think I will try to get in touch with Catherine Parvin and see if she can clarify what is going on.
Cheers, Dave:confused::confused:

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Like the fact you’ve posted, but not what you’re telling us! What on earth are they up to? Lord help us who do actually have something medical to report if they think change of address is a medical condition!!

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Like the fact you’ve posted, but not what you’re telling us! What on earth are they up to? Lord help us who do actually have something medical to report if they think change of address is a medical condition!!
I do have a medical condition, but they've NEVER asked about it before for COA. moved several times in the last few years.
Before anyone says anything ,yes they know about it!!!
Dave(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Webchat is your friend. Had a minor DVLA issue with a registration that had been made to the wrong address. Phone was hopeless. I couldn't even get to the point of pressing '2' to wait for 3 hours, I think their lines have been cut off. However, web chat answered within 5 minutes and sorted out my issue online that I thought I'd need a V62 for.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Well, the licence arrived today!! and runs till 11/2023, they didn't renew my C1 but not bothered as we have sold the MH anyway.

Cheers, Dave:giggle:
ps they DID reinstate my m/bike licence, not had that for several years.
You couldn't make it up......

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Being nearly 73 and a 3500kg+ motorhome driver I have been waiting for ages for a D47P from the DVLA as my current over 70s C1/D1 licence runs out on 10th Sept 2020. However, there would appear to be no way to contact the DVLA to get any response.

I have tried phone (constantly engaged), DVLA email not available just now, downloads of forms not available just now, online chat not available just now. I have even tried Twitter but was just redirected to what I have already read on the website. From the website there would seem to be no solution other than wait for a D47P.

I know some people have obtained D2 forms from the Post Office and submitted them (and D4 forms) but that is not mentioned on the website as an option. This would appear to be the only option - Quote "Before your licence runs out, DVLA will send you an ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ form (D47P). Complete the form and send it to DVLA."

I also realise that - Quote "Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you currently do not need to provide a medical report (form D4) to apply to renew your licence. If your application is successful, you’ll get a 1 year licence."

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions or practical solutions other that going to the PO for a D2?
I managed to get hold of them just before 7pm when they close, I've been waiting over 2 months for a road tax refund, they said they have long delays due to reduced staff re Covid, mine might take up to another month to arrive. If you email them, they'll send a response, at least that will show you've been trying to get hold of them if you need proof. Good luck

OP
OP
terryallan

terryallan

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
A number of others have reported the following but I also have discovered independently from DVLA that the D47P is for vocational drivers only. The website does not make that clear. C1/D1 for over 70s can only be obtained by submitting a D2 and a D4 with medical and the only place I could acquire such, at the moment, was at a Post Office. In a conversation with someone from DVLA I asked where can I find specific reference to information pertinent to my situation where I am over 70, a motorhome driver and renewing a C1/D1 licence. He said he couldn't. That of course didn't necessarily mean that it is not available somewhere. I however believe that it is not easily or readily available anywhere and that motorhome drivers have been frustrated unnecessarily through lack of specific online information. I have wasted hours on this.

Feb 5, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
My licence with C1/D1 for 3.5 ton + etc was due to expire in mid-June so I applied for new one with correct forms, medical etc. in May. By July - nothing. NO phone clals taken, eails not answered. However did eventually get a telephone call ( by clicking on option other than driving licences and being transferred) to be told they had all been on furlough and so a huge backlog and could not even check to see if my application had been received! Obviously concerned that I was without a driving licence and so I emailed to my MP and (maybe co-incidentally!) got a telephone call from the DVLA. within days to be advised to apply for ordinary licence (not C1/D1 to make sure I had a licence. Did so but meanwhile the C1/D1 licence arrived in the post. Incidentally there are private clinics open that will do a medical - at a third of the price my doctor charges.
Write to your MP -they are there to help!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I do have a medical condition, but they've NEVER asked
They don’t have to ask, the law requires you to tell them of any condition that might affect your driving. There is a long list of notifiable conditions and the possibility of a fine of up to £1,000 if you do not.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
I think form d47p is for renewal of a Vocational licence, ie one that you have passed a seperate test for, eg hgv or bus etc.

I managed to get through on the phone to DVLA at the end of May and that is what they told me.

If you need to renew your C1/D1 obtained via 'grandfathers rights' at age 70 (or subsequent renewals) you have to go down the D2/D4 route.

As you say D2 is available at post offices but ring them first to see if they stock them. I found about 50% of our local PO's stocked them.

D4 you can print off yourself.

The D4Drivers doctor that completed mine said the printed her own from the DVLA website.

Good Luck

Barry
I used D4Drivers copied the D4 from the their web site, attended my medical with their doctor who did a thorough medical and sent the lot back to DVLA. Simples.
Downside still waiting for DVLA to acknowledge they have got my licence. Shame we cannot go to local DVLA offices anymore, some idiots decided to close them.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I used D4Drivers copied the D4 from the their web site, attended my medical with their doctor who did a thorough medical and sent the lot back to DVLA. Simples.
Are you able to say what the medical consisted of?

And have you now received your new driving licence with C1 entitlement retained?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
D4 drivers are easy to use and fair price, but! Beware!

make sure you read the medical D4 form through before you go and are clear what your answers are. also check the form once its been completed and signed by the doctor.

their doctor made 2 school child errors on mine, wrote the vision assessment results the wrong way round and put a tick in the yes box instead of no box on the question " have you ever had an echocardiogram"?

result:= easy to solve problem of vision assessment. but had to have my GP to override and make a statement that I had never had or needed an echocardiogram! D4 drivers would not review the incorrect D4 form that thier doctor had messed up without a letter from my GP. therefore additional costs to GP and D4 Drivers accept no liability other than to state it is your responsibility to ensure the form is filled in accurately.

fortunately GP overwrote the form and put a covering letter for a reasonable cost. and as a result license still not back.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
that would have been over the tinternet and without a medical so unlikely to have a C1
Or perhaps one of the short term extensions, which I think are only for 11 months.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
They don’t have to ask, the law requires you to tell them of any condition that might affect your driving. There is a long list of notifiable conditions and the possibility of a fine of up to £1,000 if you do not.
I think you might have mis-understood my post- they DO know about my medical issue (I have a letter stating that there are no restrictions on the licence), my point was that they have never mentioned it previously when I was informing them of change of address.
Hope that clarifies the post.
Dave(y)

Crampy

Free Member
Dec 30, 2019
Tarporley, Cheshire West and Chester, UK
Funster No
MH
Fendt K500
Exp
30 months
You people have got me worried. I am 78 and my Licence is due to renew in February 2021. My Fendt K599 is rated at 3,500kg but I have no C1 on my licence as I didn't know you have to expressly request it stays on the licence when I last renewed it. Am I OK to continue driving?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
You people have got me worried. I am 78 and my Licence is due to renew in February 2021. My Fendt K599 is rated at 3,500kg but I have no C1 on my licence as I didn't know you have to expressly request it stays on the licence when I last renewed it. Am I OK to continue driving?
As I see it, you can drive up to 3,500kg so you should be ok

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I received a letter from DVLA today telling me that I have to see a cardiologist and taht due to COVID-19 no appointments can be made, so it's all on indefinate hold. It says that they have to be sure I am safe to drive - menatime, because they can't book me to see anyone I can carry on driving!?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back