Duty free Wine on Rotterdam Hull crossing (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Hi we normally pick up our wine in calais before crossing.
We are in germany and considering the Rotterdam-Hull crossing for our return.
Can you bulk buy at the terminal or on the ferry and if so how do you carry 48 bottles to your van?
Are there any wine superstores in Rotterdam?
Any advice welcome.

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
These days I find it cheaper in the U.K. not sure if you’d get away with 48 bottles since B. I stand to be corrected.👍
Sorry thats 24 bottles per person.
We have found some good qaulity wines for 4-5 euros in NE Germany but dont
want to be driving around with that weight.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think with the latest increase in duty in the UK the duty free wine will be cheaper. When we last went on a ferry there was a very poor choice though.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We will be on the boat Saturday night if you want any prices checked, we did buy some gin on our last sailing as it was a decent price. You pay for it and collect the next morning as you’re not allowed to take it to your cabin, I’m sure they do offer to help carry it to your vehicle, Agni can check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
We will be on the boat Saturday night if you want any prices checked, we did buy some gin on our last sailing as it was a decent price. You pay for it and collect the next morning as you’re not allowed to take it to your cabin, I’m sure they do offer to help carry it to your vehicle, Agni can check.
Lorger thats brilliant thanks, we are only interested in wine, if you could check the following for us.
Will they help take 8 boxes of 6 bottles down to our van for us?
Is there anywhere on line we can check what's available to buy to buy before we board.
We are not travelling until October.
Thanks
Paul & Elaine

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Lorger thats brilliant thanks, we are only interested in wine, if you could check the following for us.
Will they help take 8 boxes of 6 bottles down to our van for us?
Is there anywhere on line we can check what's available to buy to buy before we board.
We are not travelling until October.
Thanks
Paul & Elaine
No worries I’ll ask them on Saturday, unfortunately we don’t drink wine so have no idea what’s a decent bottle so will take photos 😂😂

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
We came bk via Irish into dover last saturday and had 40 bottles, no one checked anything and just waved us out of the port, bought from various stores around northern france

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Always bring our full quota of still wine back in boxes to reduce weight of glass and easier to stow. Obviously our quota of ‘fizzy’ has to be in bottles. 4 bottles (3 litres) of still wine weighs around 4.8 kg. 1 box of wine (3 litres) typically weighs 3.2 kg. We rarely bother with beer because of the weight.

The current UK Government restrictions on alcohol imports for personal use are:

Alcohol allowance​

How much you can bring depends on the type of alcohol. You can bring in:

• beer - 42 litres
  • wine (still) - 18 litres
You can also bring in either:

• spirits and other liquors over 22% alcohol - 4 litres
  • sparkling wine, fortified wine (for example port, sherry) and other alcoholic drinks up to 22% alcohol (not including beer or still wine) - 9 litres
You can split this last allowance, for example you could bring 4.5 litres of fortified wine and 2 litres of spirits (both half of your allowance).

So as 18 litres of still wine is 24 bottles, if two of you are travelling Prop , you can bring back 48 bottles or 12 x 3 litre boxes. In addition you can bring in up to 24 bottles of “fizz” or 8 litres of spirit or a different mix as mentioned above.

We are also travelling on the Rotterdam to Hull ferry in a couple of weeks, so would grateful to hear from lorger about any good deals on board P&O if we do not get our full quota before sailing.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Came over a couple of weeks ago on it. Litre of Gordon’s gin £10.99 can’t fault that.👍

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
48 bottles is only about 60kg.
Last trip came back with 46 bottles plus 8 bottles of gin and a few other bottles plus about 20 or 30 Lt of beer.
However, Lenny HB 12 x 3 litre boxes weigh around 38 kg and have a total volume which is much less than 48 bottles in their cardboard boxes and thus likely easier to stow. Prop is in a VW T5 and probably does not have the 1000 kg of spare payload you have previously mentioned in your Hymer. :unsure:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
However, Lenny HB 12 x 3 litre boxes weigh around 38 kg and have a total volume which is much less than 48 bottles in their cardboard boxes and thus likely easier to stow. Prop is in a VW T5 and probably does not have the 1000 kg of spare payload you have previously mentioned in your Hymer. :unsure:
I think the problem with the wine boxes is if you don't try one before you buy the lot you might need a lot of fish and chips to use them up. If you do try one you have almost 3,l to use pretty quickly ( hardship!) . You also have a lot of the same stuff to work through. It depends how choosy you are.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I think the problem with the wine boxes is if you don't try one before you buy the lot you might need a lot of fish and chips to use them up. If you do try one you have almost 3,l to use pretty quickly ( hardship!) . You also have a lot of the same stuff to work through. It depends how choosy you are.

Yes…..it can be a problem and we have made some mistakes in the past.

We have found 6 boxes of the Roche Mazet Merlot (when in France) and 6 boxes of a New Zealand (preferably) or Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (not the French sauvignon) meet our “everyday” needs (well not exactly EVERY day!!!), until our next trip to Europe. Keeping the white opened box in the fridge and the red in a cool place in the kitchen seems to keep them good for up to around 3 weeks. If we have visitors, we can decant into a carafe to seem a bit more refined. (Unless you actually see a bottle uncorked at the table, this is what many restaurants probably do from even larger boxes!)

The real snag with using boxes is that it is all too easy just top up your glass. :unsure: 🍷:giggle:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Apologies folks as I totally forgot to upload the photos, we bought 8 bottles of gin and opened one last night bloom strawberry at £9.99 great value.
I’ve no idea if these are cheap as don’t drink wine so took photos of the wine they had, you can decide. Also if you order 4 cases they will carry it to your vehicle.
IMG_0597.jpeg
IMG_0596.jpeg
IMG_0595.jpeg
IMG_0594.jpeg
IMG_0591.jpeg
IMG_0592.jpeg
IMG_0593.jpeg
IMG_0590.jpeg
IMG_0589.jpeg
IMG_0588.jpeg
IMG_0585.jpeg
IMG_0586.jpeg
IMG_0587.jpeg

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Yes…..it can be a problem and we have made some mistakes in the past.

We have found 6 boxes of the Roche Mazet Merlot (when in France) and 6 boxes of a New Zealand (preferably) or Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (not the French sauvignon) meet our “everyday” needs (well not exactly EVERY day!!!), until our next trip to Europe. Keeping the white opened box in the fridge and the red in a cool place in the kitchen seems to keep them good for up to around 3 weeks. If we have visitors, we can decant into a carafe to seem a bit more refined. (Unless you actually see a bottle uncorked at the table, this is what many restaurants probably do from even larger boxes!)

The real snag with using boxes is that it is all too easy just top up your glass. :unsure: 🍷:giggle:
3 weeks in a fridge for 3 litres, that only 4 bottles! Would not get past day 4😀

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Apologies folks as I totally forgot to upload the photos, we bought 8 bottles of gin and opened one last night bloom strawberry at £9.99 great value.
I’ve no idea if these are cheap as don’t drink wine so took photos of the wine they had, you can decide. Also if you order 4 cases they will carry it to your vehicle. View attachment 816959View attachment 816960View attachment 816961View attachment 816962View attachment 816963View attachment 816964View attachment 816965View attachment 816966View attachment 816967View attachment 816968View attachment 816969View attachment 816970View attachment 816971
Brilliant thank you very much, we have now got a good idea whst we are doing.
Much aprpeciared

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Brilliant thank you very much, we have now got a good idea whst we are doing.
Much aprpeciared
If you like Gin they have some really good deals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back